iRacing preview up at InsideSimRacing

Old June 5th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Default iRacing preview up at InsideSimRacing

A comprehensive 16 minute preview which explains in detail how iRacing
will work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbAC-PV3lZI

Cheers
Tony
Old June 6th 08, 07:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson

(Tony R) wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbAC-PV3lZI

After watching that I'm reminded of my conviction that without a very
basic (even one car, one track) 'buy once and free to drive on some
servers' service it'll be a mainstream failure. You have to offer people
cheap marijuana if you want to get them onto crack eventually.

I'm also a bit frustrated that the only vehicle which appeals to me (the
open-wheeler) isn't available in the basic package. But then that's life,
the stuff you don't want is always cheap and easy to get hold of. :-)

I hope they make enough money from the serious drivers to make it work
and develop, but it'll have to be one hell of a sim to compete with the
free (buy once) alternatives, which aren't too shabby these days. At the
moment my personal jury is still out on this whole project.

I want to be wrong though, so good luck to everyone involved.

Andrew McP
Old June 6th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
schooner

And people complain about the fees for Xbox live and DLC, iRacing is many
times more with a $20 a month fee and $15-20+ for each car and track. I
suspect this is all meant to keep most people out by design. That combined
with the forced series and licensing, cockpit view only, no league supports,
limited paint schemes, etc. Very regimented and expensive IMHO for most.

Be interesting to see how it goes...

ddress_disguised...

Old June 6th 08, 10:56 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
DavErb[_2_]

Thanks for the link Tony. It explains a lot. As someone who once paid
$2/hour to pretend fly WW2 fighters the monthly fee does not look
particularly steep and it is more or less in line with the industry standard
fees for most online worlds. From the video it seems pretty clear to me that
the online world is the main feature once you get past the basics of track &
car. It looks to relieve all the admin functions of running a league (plus
many other features like ranking) and allow the participants to focus on
the racing. That relief alone makes the monthly fee worth it for me.
The initial content does seem a little thin. I would have been happier if
they'd included a Formula Ford as well as the Solistice ( a little GM
sponsorship there?) and the Legends car. Tracks look Ok and its a decent
starter pack for what purports to be a serious sim.

Hopefully IRacing will get the numbers they need to generate full quality
fields at any level I might be interested in racing

Dave E

Old June 6th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

If it isn't in the basic package, you can't race it anyway. You have to
EARN your way to those faster cars. When you get to that point you can
acquire the car and race it all you want

-Larry

Old June 6th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
schooner

Hehe ya I noticed that as well and had a laugh.

Old June 6th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Andrew MacPherson wrote:

> So my doubts are about the business model rather than the sim
> and their hopes for it.

I wouldn't doubt John Henry's abilities in business. The Red Sox was a
passion but astutely managed to become self sustaining in terms of
generating income to take on the Yankees and then through the use of
sabermetrics (a system he devised for mining baseball stats to find
undervalued players while avoiding long contracts for aging stars)
ensuring the income was used most efficiently. This turned around
success within 2 years winning the world series in 2004 for the first
time since 1918.

Sim racing maybe a passion for Henry but I am sure the vision is for it
to become a viable proposition so it can continue to be developed
through self funding rather than ongoing investment.

Cheers
Tony
Old June 6th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
==--==

> From the video: "Since iRacing is located in Boston, let's start off at
> the South Boston track." By that logic, since I live in St. Petersburg,
> FL, I guess I would start in Russia? (For those that don't know, South
> Boston Speedway is in Virginia.)

LOLOLOL

==--==

Old June 7th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Peter[_1_]

In article >,
says...
> A comprehensive 16 minute preview which explains in detail how iRacing
> will work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbAC-PV3lZI

Well I hope the net code is pretty damn good, because there are going to
be some pretty ****ed racers out there if they start getting penalised
because of some 'warp' that takes place whilst racing.

--
Pete Ives

iRacing Who? [email protected] Simulators 62 August 10th 07 10:01 PM
iRacing what? _Mitch Simulators 4 August 1st 07 04:27 AM
iracing news Chad Rogers Simulators 36 December 14th 05 06:16 PM
Will iRacing ever produce a PC sim ? DB Simulators 86 September 15th 05 08:33 PM
BMW new 3 series ( E90) preview Anoop Ghanwani BMW 17 October 10th 04 10:06 PM