On AutoSimSport Rant

Old January 13th 05, 08:33 AM
alex martini

Default On AutoSimSport Rant

On careful consideration, I can understand why certain offense was taken to
the final column of this month's edition. I am aware of the criticism, and
have evaluated the column.

However, I stand by the fact that it was firstly a rant and, secondly,
reflected a real problem within the sim community. In addition, freedom of
speech is precisely that - freedom to speak as you will.

But ... freedom of speech is not freedom to hurt. Therefore the offending
column will be re-edited and re-posted within 24 hours.

All the best, and hope some of you njoyed the rest of the ezine.
Alex.

Old January 13th 05, 09:31 AM
Ashley McConnell

Alex,

Freedom to speak doesn't mean you should exercise that freedom. I have
just read what you wrote in the final section and I must say that I am
shocked and saddened by the personal attacks there. It just isn't the
place to air personal grievances in public.

I'm embarassed to have my name associated with such abuse. If people
don't want to participate in your magazine, so be it (as that seems to
be the real reason that you went to town on them!).

It is a pity as the rest of the magazine was very good IMO.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to have any more to do with FILSCA, there
is enough bitching in the sim-racing world without AutoSim Sport adding
to it.

There is also a lot more important things (highlighted by recent
international events) to get worked up about.

Take care,
Ash

Old January 13th 05, 12:00 PM
alex martini

As I said, I have re-edited the piece, and certainly did not mean to cause
such frenzy - had I known it would illicit such hate-filled emails (not
yours, btw, but I have a few choice ones) I would most certainly not have
spent the time to create the ezine. The edition was, with the exception of
one section, my work, so I take full blame. I should have known better.

However, it is a lesson learnt. The overwhelmingly negative feedback has
demonstrated, perhaps completely, that this type of ezine is not needed nor
wanted by the majority - so I'll see if there is a small market out there
for it or else can it completely.

As a personal note, Ashley, had I known that the 100 or so man-hours it took
me to create this ezine would have resulted in your embarrassment, I would
most certainly have had second-thoughts about it. It was, and remains, a
labour of dedication to the community, and by focusing on the small
developers, I thought I was doing you - and guys like you - a favour. So I
apologise for the debacle and claim only my lack of intent - and bad
judgment - as reason.

Saddened to read you post.
All the very best,
Alex
oups.com...

Old January 13th 05, 12:49 PM
Ashley McConnell

Alex,

I think that the overwhelming view is that the ezine itself was good
and was well worth reading.

As I said, I was embarassed by the tirade of personal abuse and I
enjoyed the rest of the ezine. I would even agree with the point of
the rant (people needlessly bitching ruins the sim community), but the
way you did it just added to the bitching (as you now know
unfortunately).

I didn't (and didn't intend to) say that your hard work wasn't worth it
or wasn't appreciated. I think that the rest of the stories were very
interesting.

Hate-filled emails seem to be the norm these days . When all is said
and done it's only a few pixels flickering on a screen (How ever much
we enjoy it!)
All the best,
Ash

---
http://www.siroccoracing.com

Old January 13th 05, 03:21 PM
alex martini

Appreciated Ashley; as I said, the best I can do is edit the content and
re-upload. It's the first issue, let's call it a problem birth - but it is
alive and will get better.

Old January 13th 05, 04:25 PM
The drummer for Def Leppard only has one arm.

alex martini wrote:

> On careful consideration, I can understand why certain offense was taken to
> the final column of this month's edition. I am aware of the criticism, and
> have evaluated the column.
>
> However, I stand by the fact that it was firstly a rant and, secondly,
> reflected a real problem within the sim community. In addition, freedom of
> speech is precisely that - freedom to speak as you will.
>
> But ... freedom of speech is not freedom to hurt. Therefore the offending
> column will be re-edited and re-posted within 24 hours.
>
> All the best, and hope some of you njoyed the rest of the ezine.
> Alex.

The best relationships get off to rocky starts.
Old January 14th 05, 05:06 PM
mcewena

The freedom of speech argument is pretty seriously weakened by the
lengthy and pompous (I'm sorry but that's the best description that
fits), download disclaimer that the ezeen hides behind.

For all I know you've got pictorials of sim racers copulating with
sheep in your rant and you need the disclaimer to protect you from
slander/libel suits. I have no idea because I have chosen not to
download given that disclaimer.

Personally I don't hold opinions that have to hide behind such a
statement to be of much value.
I'm no lawyer (otherwise I'd know if such a thing was slander or
libel) but I doubt that disclaimer would stand up in any court of law
to any blatant crimes so what's the point of it?

You're also using the same argument FILSCA did in the beginning,
"we've put a lot of work into this so you should appreciate it".
There is no link between the two as far as I can tell. Chuck Heston
probably puts a lot of work into the NRA, some may appreciate it, many
don't.

I'll be recommending to any leagues I'm involved in not to have any
involvement with FILSCA until after their next democratic election of
officers. (coincidently a question that wasn't answered in my other
post).

Art

Old January 14th 05, 07:53 PM

mcewena wrote:
> The freedom of speech argument is pretty
> seriously weakened [...]

There is no freedom of speech argument. Nobody suggested he doesn't
have a legal right to say what he did.

Having the right to say something doesn't mean what you're saying is
right. If you rant about how much you hate black people, calling it a
'rant' and pointing out your legal right to say it doesn't make it any
less offensive.

IMO, his reaction to the criticism has been as immature as the original
rant, including such pouts as "negative feedback has demonstrated,
perhaps completely, that this type of ezine is not needed nor
wanted by the majority". You can just see the bottom lip sticking out
on that one.

The magazine was enjoyable, but the 'rant' column needs to go entirely,
at least until he can genuinely see that this particular rant was not
only in poor taste but highly hypocritical.

Old January 14th 05, 08:13 PM
mcewena

My legal knowledge is based almost entirely on US and british TV crime
dramas so I'll admit to a serious handicap (but problem no more so then
most lay folk), but to me the download disclaimer (repeated below)
says, "We can say what ever we want and you can't critisize or respond
in any meaningful way." Seems a little over the top to be talking
about virtual cars going around virtual tracks so I didn't bother.

WARNING: By downloading AutoSimSport, you waive any rights you may have
against AutoSimSport, its editors, its writers, or any other person
related to AutoSimSport in any way. Download and read the issue at your
own risk. Click the frontpage of the issue, and enjoy. The PDF file
requires Acrobat Reader.

Old January 14th 05, 08:54 PM
alex martini

Blatant crimes does not fall into libelous/slanderous/defamation/contractual
law. I cannot absolve myself from breaking the law.

What I can do - and have attempted to do - is protect the good people who
write/contribute to the ezine. The last thing they need - after investing
time for free - is a libel suit from some groan who thinks the content is
'innapropriate'.

Hence the waiver agreement; when you d/load, you d/load as is. If it offends
you, then you are free - as you have chosen - not to download.

Te issue of whether it will stand up in a court of Law is an odd thing to
bring up; it amazes me Art - and others who have said this in this forum -
that the issue of libel/slander would even be brought up a free ezine
created for the community with nothing but time and good wishes.

In short, we work for free, we distribute for free, we make no money, and I
personally pay for the software that was neccessary to create it, and FILSCA
pays to make it available for free.

Libel? Slander? Defamation? For a freely distubuted ezine? Yes, Gordon
(whose post is in this thread) my lip is very down at this kind of nonsense.
You are free to enjoy the ezine - or hate it - or slag it off - or not
bother with it. But to inimate at slander/libel is a tad much, don't you
think?

oups.com...