Service Questions

Old April 9th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Brad Holland

Default Service Questions

I just left a repair place to have my oxygen sensors replaced for $395(my
check engine light was on and tightening the gas cap didn't solve it) and I
got this long list of things that they recommended and I am really wary
about taking my car back. I would like comments on the reasonableness. I
have a 2003 Honda Accord SE V6 with 92,000 miles. I had my car in the
dealer about 3,000 mi ago for an oil change and the only thing they talked
about was my 90,000 check which seemed to only need the brake fluid flush
which I got done. The repair place recommended:

Replacing the Belt $62.35
Belt Tensioner $118.33
Idler Pulley $65.91
Labor $173.75
Do I need all this or just the belt?

EVAP Service $89.99
Piston Service $69.99
Air Temp Service $39.99 ( I guess the sensor)
TBI Service $39.99
Induction Service $129.99
Park Brake Service $69.50
Hinge Pivots $ $69.99?
Slides stuck $34.75

I'm not going to include the air filter and cabin filter that I'll do
myself.
They are also talking $189.99 for front brakes and 113.78 each for rotors.
I will need this soon but depending on comments I might not go back there.
--
Brad Holland
University Ombudsman & ADA Coordinator

Old April 9th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
carmentality

When doing the timing belt, you should replace all those things. I would try
and see if you can bring the parts. You can get the timing job kit from
honda parts at http://www.autohausaz.com/honda-auto-parts/index.html . They
have a kit which includes hte belt, tensioner and pulley for about $125. As
for the rotors, you can get those for about $50 a piece and a set of pads is
$40-50. Shipping would be free over since the parts total more than $50.

Old April 9th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Brad Holland

Uh, aren't they talking about the serpentine belt? And more importantly
which of those other things (like induction service) need to be done or need
to be done just to make them money

Old April 10th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Brad Holland" > wrote in
:

> I just left a repair place to have my oxygen sensors replaced for
> $395(my check engine light was on and tightening the gas cap didn't
> solve it) and I got this long list of things that they recommended and
> I am really wary about taking my car back. I would like comments on
> the reasonableness. I have a 2003 Honda Accord SE V6 with 92,000
> miles. I had my car in the dealer about 3,000 mi ago for an oil
> change and the only thing they talked about was my 90,000 check which
> seemed to only need the brake fluid flush which I got done. The repair
> place recommended:
>
> Replacing the Belt $62.35
> Belt Tensioner $118.33
> Idler Pulley $65.91
> Labor $173.75
> Do I need all this or just the belt?

The tensioner and idler pulley are usually good until the second belt
change. Any decent mechanic can tell how good the existing items are by
spinning them by hand.

Funny the water pump isn't included. That SHOULD be replaced.

> EVAP Service $89.99

Whaaaat? What do they say is included in this? Sounds like a ripoff to
me.

> Piston Service $69.99

"Piston service"? What the hell? More BS.

> Air Temp Service $39.99 ( I guess the sensor)

Which air? Cabin or engine?

> TBI Service $39.99

If this is a throttle body clean, good. Anything else, bad.

> Induction Service $129.99

Should be covered by TB cleaning.

> Park Brake Service $69.50

!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Hinge Pivots $ $69.99?

!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Slides stuck $34.75

Brake slides stuck? Should be part of any normal brake service, not a
separate charge..

> I'm not going to include the air filter and cabin filter that I'll do
> myself.
> They are also talking $189.99 for front brakes and 113.78 each for
> rotors.

What are they doing, replacing the calipers? Stupid on an '03.

> I will need this soon but depending on comments I might not go
> back there.

Don't go back there. This place seems like one of those that lures you
in with a "$2.99 special" ad in the paper, then ka-chings their way
through your wallet with upcharges.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old April 10th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Rowdy Yates

Was this at the Honda dealership or was it at Firestone/Midas type
franchise. The reason I ask, I wanted to have the brakes and power steering
pump on my 1978 C10 pick up worked on. Took it to one of those places and
asked for estimate. They called and told me that the brake job was going to
cost 1600.00 dollars and about 900 to replace the power steering pump. The
truck is worth about 500 dollars tops. Franchise repair places try and size
you up and take advantage of consumers. Get a second opinion.

Old April 10th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Tegger > wrote in
:

> "Brad Holland" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I just left a repair place to have my oxygen sensors replaced for
>> $395(my check engine light was on and tightening the gas cap didn't
>> solve it) and I got this long list of things that they recommended
>> and I am really wary about taking my car back. I would like comments
>> on the reasonableness. I have a 2003 Honda Accord SE V6 with 92,000
>> miles. I had my car in the dealer about 3,000 mi ago for an oil
>> change and the only thing they talked about was my 90,000 check which
>> seemed to only need the brake fluid flush which I got done. The
>> repair place recommended:
>>
>> Replacing the Belt $62.35
>> Belt Tensioner $118.33
>> Idler Pulley $65.91
>> Labor $173.75
>> Do I need all this or just the belt?

> The tensioner and idler pulley are usually good until the second belt
> change. Any decent mechanic can tell how good the existing items are
> by spinning them by hand.
>
> Funny the water pump isn't included. That SHOULD be replaced.

I should have asked: Timing belt or serpentine belt?

Old April 10th 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nick

I'm not sure what the going rate for the O2 sensor repair is, but the
part from Honda is no more than $150. $395 seems very high especially
since this is a very easy job to do.

I would strongly suggest that you look for another place to get your
repairs done by. You might also want to post what place you have taken
it to so others can avoid it as well.

Nick

Old April 11th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
tww1491

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "Brad Holland" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I just left a repair place to have my oxygen sensors replaced for
>> $395(my check engine light was on and tightening the gas cap didn't
>> solve it) and I got this long list of things that they recommended and
>> I am really wary about taking my car back. I would like comments on
>> the reasonableness. I have a 2003 Honda Accord SE V6 with 92,000
>> miles. I had my car in the dealer about 3,000 mi ago for an oil
>> change and the only thing they talked about was my 90,000 check which
>> seemed to only need the brake fluid flush which I got done. The repair
>> place recommended:
>>
>> Replacing the Belt $62.35
>> Belt Tensioner $118.33
>> Idler Pulley $65.91
>> Labor $173.75
>> Do I need all this or just the belt?

Wonder why they did not include the Framis which is integral with the Belt
Tensioner and the IDler Pulley. These are very expensive and must be
special ordered from Brazil.

Old April 18th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
reggie_1404

when I install my alternator I put the power steering belt, after a
couple of days my belt cracked, is it too tight?

--
reggie_1404
reggie_1404's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=509278

http://www.automotiveforums.com