3,300 Pound GT500?!?

Old August 18th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Default 3,300 Pound GT500?!?

Details have emerged on the new 2008 Ford Racing Cobra Jet Mustang
also known as the FR500CJ. The new Cobra Jet Mustang (FR500CJ) will
join Ford Racing’s two other successful road racing Mustangs, the
FR500C and FR500S as turn-key race cars available through Ford
Dealers. The cars will be built in December of 2008 and shipped to
customers in February of 2009.

The FR500CJ will be a factory-built race car with a 400 horsepower
5.4L DOHC supercharged engine with a 6-speed manual transmission that
is standard, an optional automatic will also be available. The car
itself will be lightweight at 3,300 lbs and will be NHRA legal to
10.00 second ET’s along with the interior being NHRA Stock Eliminator
legal interior. It will come with a unique trim and appearance
package, drag race wheel/tire combination and a Cobra Jet graphics
package. Ford says there will be an initial 50 unit production run
with the MSRP being $69,900.

Press Release:

In 1968, Ford took the NHRA Winternationals by storm with the Cobra
Jet Mustang. Only 50 units were built and released to Ford Dealers and
Ford racers, and in its first appearance, the Cobra Jet won.

Forty years after this historic event, Ford Racing is happy to
announce that they are exploring the development of a new NHRA-legal
race car - the 2008 Cobra Jet Mustang. Some details of this exciting
program have already begun to surface, and we want to ensure you hear
about it from us first.

The 2008 Ford Racing Cobra Jet Mustang (FR500CJ) will be a factory-
built race car, ready for the drag strip with only minor additional
prep required. While details are intentionally limited at this time,
the following should help you assess the product and its appeal.

Ford Racing Part Number: M-FR500-CJ

Program Intent:

* Provide a Mustang that is a true A Stock competitor
* 50 units initial build
* Off-road only (VIN replaced by serial number)
* Estimated pricing, $64,990 WD, $69,990 MSRP
* Model Year 2008 designation
* Build in December 2008, vehicles delivered February 2009

Vehicle Content:

* 400 hp (est.) 5.4L DOHC supercharged engine
* 6-speed manual transmission standard; optional automatic TBD
* NHRA legal to 10.00 sec ETs
* NHRA Stock Eliminator legal interior
* Lightweight - 3,300 lbs (est.)
* Unique trim and appearance package
* Drag race wheel/tire combination
* Cobra Jet graphics package

NoOp Comment: I'd really be interested in how they pared the weight
down about 700 pounds.

Patrick
Old August 24th 08, 07:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
ND

> wrote in message
Details have emerged on the new 2008 Ford Racing Cobra Jet Mustang
also known as the FR500CJ. The new Cobra Jet Mustang (FR500CJ) will
join Ford Racing’s two other successful road racing Mustangs, the
FR500C and FR500S as turn-key race cars available through Ford
Dealers. The cars will be built in December of 2008 and shipped to
customers in February of 2009.

The FR500CJ will be a factory-built race car with a 400 horsepower
5.4L DOHC supercharged engine with a 6-speed manual transmission that
is standard, an optional automatic will also be available. The car
itself will be lightweight at 3,300 lbs and will be NHRA legal to
10.00 second ET’s along with the interior being NHRA Stock Eliminator
legal interior. It will come with a unique trim and appearance
package, drag race wheel/tire combination and a Cobra Jet graphics
package. Ford says there will be an initial 50 unit production run
with the MSRP being $69,900.

Press Release:

In 1968, Ford took the NHRA Winternationals by storm with the Cobra
Jet Mustang. Only 50 units were built and released to Ford Dealers and
Ford racers, and in its first appearance, the Cobra Jet won.

Forty years after this historic event, Ford Racing is happy to
announce that they are exploring the development of a new NHRA-legal
race car - the 2008 Cobra Jet Mustang. Some details of this exciting
program have already begun to surface, and we want to ensure you hear
about it from us first.

The 2008 Ford Racing Cobra Jet Mustang (FR500CJ) will be a factory-
built race car, ready for the drag strip with only minor additional
prep required. While details are intentionally limited at this time,
the following should help you assess the product and its appeal.

Ford Racing Part Number: M-FR500-CJ

Program Intent:

* Provide a Mustang that is a true A Stock competitor
* 50 units initial build
* Off-road only (VIN replaced by serial number)
* Estimated pricing, $64,990 WD, $69,990 MSRP
* Model Year 2008 designation
* Build in December 2008, vehicles delivered February 2009

Vehicle Content:

* 400 hp (est.) 5.4L DOHC supercharged engine
* 6-speed manual transmission standard; optional automatic TBD
* NHRA legal to 10.00 sec ETs
* NHRA Stock Eliminator legal interior
* Lightweight - 3,300 lbs (est.)
* Unique trim and appearance package
* Drag race wheel/tire combination
* Cobra Jet graphics package

NoOp Comment: I'd really be interested in how they pared the weight
down about 700 pounds.

Patrick

No sound deadening, no interior, no a/c or power options, maybe even some
lexan windows. Oh and probably use the aluminum block versus the iron blocks
the Shelby has.

Nick

Old September 14th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Defiant[_2_]

I'm kinda curious as to why its only running 400 HP instead of the Shelby's
500+ horses