engine surge

Old April 15th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Steve[_35_]

Default engine surge

Since day one, new 2006 Civic EX has surged at idle. With AT in gear
trying to park have to be ready to increase braking. Dealer let me try
other 2006 and 2007 Civics and all surged. Commonality doesn't make it
right. Any thoughts?
Old April 15th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Steve wrote:
> Since day one, new 2006 Civic EX has surged at idle. With AT in gear
> trying to park have to be ready to increase braking. Dealer let me try
> other 2006 and 2007 Civics and all surged. Commonality doesn't make it
> right. Any thoughts?

by "surge" do you mean the revs increase and the car starts pulling away
on its own or that it simply creeps. if the latter, it's supposed to do
that - it makes slow maneuvering easier. you need to be more precise in
your description.
Old April 16th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Steve[_35_]

jim beam wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>> Since day one, new 2006 Civic EX has surged at idle. With AT in gear
>> trying to park have to be ready to increase braking. Dealer let me
>> try other 2006 and 2007 Civics and all surged. Commonality doesn't
>> make it right. Any thoughts?

> by "surge" do you mean the revs increase and the car starts pulling
> away on its own or that it simply creeps. if the latter, it's
> supposed to do that - it makes slow maneuvering easier. you need to
> be more precise in your description.

By "surge" I mean "surge - to rise and fall actively; to move in waves",
except there is no pattern. I can be 'creeping' into a parking space or
my garage at an idle with my foot on the brake and the revs will kick up
and the car will increase its speed. Is that precise enough for you?
Old April 16th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Steve wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Steve wrote:
>>> Since day one, new 2006 Civic EX has surged at idle. With AT in gear
>>> trying to park have to be ready to increase braking. Dealer let me
>>> try other 2006 and 2007 Civics and all surged. Commonality doesn't
>>> make it right. Any thoughts?

>> by "surge" do you mean the revs increase and the car starts pulling
>> away on its own or that it simply creeps. if the latter, it's
>> supposed to do that - it makes slow maneuvering easier. you need to
>> be more precise in your description.

> By "surge" I mean "surge - to rise and fall actively; to move in waves",
> except there is no pattern. I can be 'creeping' into a parking space or
> my garage at an idle with my foot on the brake and the revs will kick up
> and the car will increase its speed. Is that precise enough for you?

------------------------------

The AC may be ON (and cutting in and out) despite the light not showing.
The CR-V AC runs in 'stealth mode' and confuses the owners. Maybe the
Civic is exactly the same? Check what the manual says about which heater
control positions will tell the AC compressor to run.

'Curly'
Old April 18th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Steve[_35_]

motsco_ wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:
>>>
>>> by "surge" do you mean the revs increase and the car starts pulling
>>> away on its own or that it simply creeps. if the latter, it's
>>> supposed to do that - it makes slow maneuvering easier. you need to
>>> be more precise in your description.

>> By "surge" I mean "surge - to rise and fall actively; to move in
>> waves", except there is no pattern. I can be 'creeping' into a
>> parking space or my garage at an idle with my foot on the brake and
>> the revs will kick up and the car will increase its speed. Is that
>> precise enough for you?

> The AC may be ON (and cutting in and out) despite the light not
> showing. The CR-V AC runs in 'stealth mode' and confuses the owners.
> Maybe the Civic is exactly the same? Check what the manual says about
> which heater control positions will tell the AC compressor to run.
>
> 'Curly'

Just in case anyone is following this, Honda seems to have finally
decided this was a problem and issued a bulletin calling for some
reprogramming. Seems to have taken care of the problem.