Ford Leather seats

Old January 6th 09, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
car crash

Default Ford Leather seats

Someone told me that Ford Vehicles such as the Ford Taurus X and Ford
Taurus, which has leather seats are not real leather, but rather
Bonded leather which is real garbage leather compared to Honda's
leather seats. The Ford leather apparently has a plasticky texture to
it. Does anyone know if this is true ?
Old January 6th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_1_]

"car crash" > wrote in message
> Someone told me that Ford Vehicles such as the Ford Taurus X and
> Ford
> Taurus, which has leather seats are not real leather, but rather
> Bonded leather which is real garbage leather compared to Honda's
> leather seats. The Ford leather apparently has a plasticky texture
> it. Does anyone know if this is true ?

If by "Bonded Leather" you mean the stuff made up from leather scraps
bonded together, then I don't believe this is true. It may be the
chemically treated "real" leather that is also sometimes referred to
as "bonded leather." They do this so the leather seating surfaces will
have a consistent appearance and match the rest of the seat material
which is vinyl. You do realize that most manufacturers, including
Honda, only provide leather seating surfaces. The sides and rear seat
panels are vinyl. Honda doesn't actually call their fancy seats in an
Accord "leather seats", they refer to them as "Leather-trimmed Seats."
For the Civic EX, the upgraded seats have "Leather Seating Surfaces
for Front- and Rear-Seat Occupants." Ford generally refers to their
fancy seats as "leather-trimmed" seats. A few years back I owned an
Expedition with the third row seat. The first two rows of seats had
leather seating surfaces. The third row was all vinyl. All three rows
looked the same to me.

Personally, if I order a car, I ask for cloth.

Ed

Old January 6th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
car crash > wrote:
>Someone told me that Ford Vehicles such as the Ford Taurus X and Ford
>Taurus, which has leather seats are not real leather, but rather
>Bonded leather which is real garbage leather compared to Honda's
>leather seats. The Ford leather apparently has a plasticky texture to
>it. Does anyone know if this is true ?

As far as I know, there aren't any car manufacturers today still using
real top grain leather. Even BMW and Mercedes are using the crappy Pleather
bonded stuff. It feels fine when it's new but I doubt it will feel so good
ten years down the road.
--scott

Ford Leather Seats car crash Driving 3 January 6th 09 09:13 PM
'98 Leather Seats Need Repaired John Smith[_8_] Corvette 2 August 17th 07 11:46 PM
Red Leather seats Sam Adams Ford Mustang 0 August 6th 06 01:54 AM
leather seats? Susan Honda 6 February 7th 06 08:35 AM
Leather Seats Bob Lewit Ford Mustang 3 April 4th 05 05:12 AM