Is this a scam or what?!? Any takers?

Old April 12th 04, 09:45 AM
TommyK

Default Is this a scam or what?!? Any takers?

Hey group, wanted to get some input on any of your ideas if this
company is legitimate or not. I posted an ad to sell my 91'
Volkswagon, I am selling and I received this email from an interested
person...

Dear ,
I am the director of Jane Automotives based in Germany (Europe).I
will Like to know if your Car is still available,also I will like to
see a recent picture of the Car ,I will also like to know the least
price for the Car . Please i will be expecting the above information
soonest as i have an interested party(Client). I will arrange for the
pick up as soon as we conclude the payment.
Thanks.
Jane......

To which I wrote back the following...

Jane,

The pictures are enclosed per request of the 1991 Jetta. The least
price for this car is $1800. If interested, my phone is 503-xxx-xxxx
for other information.

Sincerely yours,
Thomas

Finally, I received an email a day ago with the following...

Dear THOMAS,

Thanks for the response to our demand,and Happy to tell you that I
just concluded with our client and he has instructed to carry on with
the transaction,he said that I should inform you that payment will get
to you in a cashier check of $8,500.00 which is a refund payment of a
cancelled order earlier made by my client.

Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to
you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one
cashier check,so you are required to deduct cost of your (CAR)
$1,800.00 USD when payment gets to you and refund balance to my
client via western union money transfer or money gram transfer for him
to be able to offset shipping charges and also ship other cars which I
bought for my clients.
Please I want you to understand that I am entrusting the balance in
your hands,if this form of payment is not ok by you please don't
contact me.

After payment has reached you and balance sent back to him,our agent
will come for the pick up and take to a prepaid shipper to be shipped
to my customer,while other necessary documents will be sent by you via
courier service to my client.

Please Confirm this and provide NAME, ADDRESS and PHONE NUMBER for
check payment to be delivered to you via courier service.

Thanks and God Bless.
Jane Martins...

-------------------
Now I don't want to miss an opportunity to sell my car, but this is
the strangest request I have ever heard of! Obviously, I am in need
of some more data to make a decision! Does anyone have any input?

Thanks for the advice..

Thomas
Old April 12th 04, 02:42 PM
Barry

Hi,

I've seen this scam is outlined in several places.

He sends you overpayment.

You deposit it.

He says buyer backed out.

You refund.

Original check from him turns out to be bogus, but since it is from
Germany it takes 3 weeks to find this out. Money in your account from
check is reclaimed by bank.

You are out refund that you paid with real money.

He disappears.

HTH.

I would run. Fast.

Old April 13th 04, 03:07 AM
Alex Docherty

think about it, why the hell would someone from GERMANY buy a 1991 VW from
the US???

Old April 13th 04, 05:04 AM
Don Bruder

In article >,
(TommyK) wrote:

> Hey group, wanted to get some input on any of your ideas if this
> company is legitimate or not. I posted an ad to sell my 91'
> Volkswagon, I am selling and I received this email from an interested
> person...

<snip scam attempt>

> Now I don't want to miss an opportunity to sell my car, but this is
> the strangest request I have ever heard of! Obviously, I am in need
> of some more data to make a decision! Does anyone have any input?

The Scam Detector's meter doesn't just peg when this one comes by... It
explodes. Run like your jeans are on fire, your ass is catching, and the
pond is just a few dozens steps away.

Long and short, the $8500 CC is a fake, but with the delay in the
check-clearing system caused by the overseas hop, you won't find that
out from the bank until after the guy has already collected your real
seven thousand bucks. And possibly your car, depending on precisely
which variant of the scam is being worked. If the person (and I use that
term loosely) on the other end of the deal is on the level, he'll get a
check cut for 1800 and send that. If you *REALLY* want to go for the
deal, tell him that a check in the exact amount of the transaction, made
directly to you, is the only way the deal goes down. If he refuses, it's
pure scam.

And consider this: VW is a german car to begin with. Why would somebody
pay 1500 for a 13 year old one, then probably that much again (or even
more than that) on shipping (never mind customs here when it leaves, and
probably some sort of import taxes on the other side of the pond) to get
it back to Germany, when you can bet they're common as dirt over there?

--
Don Bruder -
- New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
Old April 13th 04, 05:04 AM
Don Bruder

In article >,
"Alex Docherty" > wrote:

> think about it, why the hell would someone from GERMANY buy a 1991 VW from
> the US???

Heh... Just about the same thing I said

Old April 15th 04, 04:10 AM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Roughly 4/12/04 01:45, TommyK's monkeys randomly typed:

> Hey group, wanted to get some input on any of your ideas if this
> company is legitimate or not. I posted an ad to sell my 91'
> Volkswagon, I am selling and I received this email from an interested
> person...
>

> Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to
> you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one
> cashier check,so you are required to deduct cost of your (CAR)
> $1,800.00 USD when payment gets to you and refund balance to my
> client via western union money transfer or money gram transfer for him
> to be able to offset shipping charges and also ship other cars which I
> bought for my clients.

This is a variation on the Nigerian Scam. You get a bad check and
send them not only your car but thousands of dollars in addition.

--
Evolution is merely survival of the minimally adequate

Scam Nicholas O. Lindan Chrysler 2 December 28th 04 01:58 AM
~ Seaside Motors Scam Shredrca 4x4 0 May 5th 04 05:33 AM
ICE AGE? (was Global Warming - a Liberal Scam?) Del Rawlins 4x4 3 February 24th 04 11:59 PM