Jeep VS others

Old November 19th 04, 05:49 AM

Right!
To CRWL out again is the real measure of a 4x4.
This is my second Jeep. And unfortunately, at times, I've turned into
more of a street Jeep. I've removed the underbody armor for a weight
reduction and don't take my sleeper speedy Jeep offroad too much any
more.

I miss those days. Maybe I just need to get a CJ and spend some
quality time doing the other thing Jeeps are good at.

Old November 20th 04, 05:19 AM
Lon

Gary Powers proclaimed:

> What? A fast Jeep? Are Jeeps really that fast? This sounds like BS.
> BS alert!
> BS alert!
> Maybe a Jeep vs another suv but sports cars?
> Give me a break.

With a suitably modified engine, it isn't that overly heavy.
However, I would expect the 4 wheel drive to be a disadvantage
since a good launch for drag racing typically involves wheels
leaving a bit of expensive rubber behind. Perhaps am wrong, but
on a 2wd always got best street starts with a bit of cop alarm
squeal.

Or perhaps he has a Grand Cherokee SRT-8, where even the
non-SRT version is a bit quicker than a midline Bimmer.
Old November 20th 04, 05:19 AM
Lon

Old November 20th 04, 05:20 AM
Lon

Geoff proclaimed:

> Gary Powers wrote:
>

>>Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:34:24 GMT
>>From: Gary Powers >
>>Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, rec.autos.makers.chrysler
>>Subject: Jeep VS others
>>
>>What? A fast Jeep? Are Jeeps really that fast? This sounds like BS.
>>BS alert!
>>BS alert!
>>Maybe a Jeep vs another suv but sports cars?
>>Give me a break.
>>

> I suppose you've never taken on a V8-powered Grand Cherokee in a local
> stoplight Grand Prix? Let me assure you that I've found through hard
> experience they can hold their own in 1/8 mile races, especially a 5.9L version.

A lot of this is due to the startle factor...plus really really good
low end torque, typically more than a smaller buzzier motor can
generate in that first critical few feet or so.
Old November 20th 04, 05:20 AM
Lon

Geoff proclaimed:

Old November 22nd 04, 08:35 PM
Steve

griffin wrote:
> On the road, I'd like to see you race a stock BMW M3 or M5. Those M5's are
> like lightning.

Make it an endurance race- the krautmobiles will fall to pieces before
the Jeep :-p

> What about an Escalade? No idea how fast they are stock, but they sure have
> alot of power. Then again ...that's a lot of vehicle to get moving.

Escalade = big fat pig. And the 5.9 Magnum with the mods mentioned has
"alot" (sic) of power too.

Old November 22nd 04, 08:35 PM
Steve

Old November 22nd 04, 08:38 PM
Steve

Gary Powers wrote:

> What? A fast Jeep? Are Jeeps really that fast? This sounds like BS.
> BS alert!
> BS alert!
> Maybe a Jeep vs another suv but sports cars?
> Give me a break.

Heh heh heh... here's another sucker for you guys... :-)

Don't forget the setting: 1/8 mile drags. Torque rules, "sports cars" drool.

Old November 22nd 04, 08:38 PM
Steve

Old November 23rd 04, 12:14 AM
Lon

griffin proclaimed:

> On the road, I'd like to see you race a stock BMW M3 or M5. Those M5's are
> like lightning.

More like dry lightning. Smokable by a Grand Cherokee without even
working up a sweat. Plus you can always tow 'em home with the Grand
after they crap out.

> What about an Escalade? No idea how fast they are stock, but they sure have
> alot of power. Then again ...that's a lot of vehicle to get moving.

Lotsa power !=fast. Lotsa power + low weight + gearing = fast