faded paint query

Old December 13th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Art McGinn

Default faded paint query

the red paint on the metal of our '91 mx shines-up like new but the
paint on the fiberglass/plastic rear bumper and environs is quite dull and
seems to want to stay that way. do i need to repaint that area or is there
something that will shine it up?

Old December 13th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Usually it's pretty easy to get it shined back up and looking good with a
cleaner wax or combo of polishing compound-polish-wax. The impossible thing
is to keep it that way w/o regular re-doing! This is assuming typical red
'91 miata paint.

Chris
99BBB

Old December 13th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Usually it's pretty easy to get it shined back up and looking good with a
> cleaner wax or combo of polishing compound-polish-wax. The impossible thing
> is to keep it that way w/o regular re-doing! This is assuming typical red
> '91 miata paint.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

What is regular? Once or twice a year?
My car is now firmly encased in a thick layer of protective grime that
is completely scratch and dent-resistant....

It's really hard for me to take good, regular care of a color that I
hate. (the typical red 1991 color).
I did much better keeping up with the Starlight Mica Blue.

Pat
Old December 13th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Usually it's pretty easy to get it shined back up and looking good

with a
> cleaner wax or combo of polishing compound-polish-wax. The

impossible thing
> is to keep it that way w/o regular re-doing! This is assuming

typical red
> '91 miata paint.

ColorX from Meguiar's does a pretty good job of bringing the shine
back on those areas but you need to keep applying it - at least 3 or 4
times per year in my experience.

Of course if someone crunches those areas, you can get nice shiny new
ones and that solves the problem as well.

And yes, I'm speaking from experience. ;-(

No, not recently but Belle did have that experience.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old December 16th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Art McGinn

all: thanks for the feedback. will try the maguires. art

Old December 25th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

Once you succed in polishing out the faded paint, and have a finish that
meets your approval--
A high carnuba wax will provide a hard durable finish. I've had the best
luck with Marine/RV wax for fiberglass and regular paint finish.
RV's and boats are generally a real pain to wax, and thus only get such
treatment infrequently. Durability of the wax is critical.
(99 Red built before clearcoat production change (Paint Code SE)

Old December 26th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
bayman2222

Art McGinn wrote:
> the red paint on the metal of our '91 mx shines-up like new but the
> paint on the fiberglass/plastic rear bumper and environs is quite dull and
> seems to want to stay that way. do i need to repaint that area or is there
> something that will shine it up?

I also have a Red Miata, which I have had since October 5, 1989. I
ordered it on May 30th of 89, prior to the factory rollout date.
Anyway.....it still looks like new. I have never used any synthetic
wax or cleaner on my Miata, only Meguiar's Mirror Glaze HI- TECH Yellow
Wax 26 at least 3 times yearly. People can not believe the paint is
origional, it has a brilliant shine..even the bumpers. I keep my Miata
garaged but exercise it regularly...every day ..Top Down in sunny SW
Florida..

Old December 27th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
r0lliSl1fe

Art McGinn wrote:
> the red paint on the metal of our '91 mx shines-up like new but the
> paint on the fiberglass/plastic rear bumper and environs is quite dull and
> seems to want to stay that way. do i need to repaint that area or is there
> something that will shine it up?

Oh boy. I have the same issue on my 96 in Montego Blue. Beautiful
color, but that rear panel between the lights has a grudge. It's not
hard to protect it with wax (I like the classic Turtle Wax myself, it
buffs a little as it applies, as many waxes do, and it's very easy to
apply) but it is a pain to get it restored to a nice shine. Mine has
lost much of it's luster, but you and I both would benefit from a pro
buffing job. Actually, there's something to be said for buying the
appropriate tools and buffing the whole car (or just that panel)
yourself, especially on a car as old as yours.

Be careful though, there are plenty of "pro grade" tools out there that
will actually scratch that paint job. Look around and ask around on
the forums at Miata.net to get a better idea of what materials work
well and why, and choose the solution that works best for you.

Wax alone might be enough, but while buffing the wax off, put a little
bit more elbow grease into it than otherwise. This will help blend the
paint on that panel and buffitup quite nicely...though not to a "like
new" shine.

One little trick for maintaining overall luster of the car...is to
heavily wax the wheels right after cleaning them off. The wax makes
brake dust come off with water! It's amazing!

Hope that helps!

-r0ll

Some scraches on the hood; advice on corrosion and paint protection Ryan Technology 2 December 5th 06 05:58 PM
Faded Paint hmmm Mazda 12 May 3rd 06 01:46 AM
Question: Fixing paint chips; metallic DW General 1 May 23rd 05 01:09 PM
paint chips & touchup paint (brush on vs. aerosol) Joe Blo General 9 September 22nd 04 03:40 PM