91 e34 2 litre still over heating

Old July 20th 06, 05:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

Default 91 e34 2 litre still over heating

Hi
I just changed the water pump and belt, took it for a quick spin and it soon
went almost into the red...i just went around the block and got home.

I wasnt in stood traffic, and the fan was spinning, but it soon went over
the half way mark.
Only thing i can think of is the thermostat thingy...or am i missing
something else?
thanks

Old July 20th 06, 06:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Burns

> I just changed the water pump and belt, took it for a quick spin and it soon
> went almost into the red...i just went around the block and got home.
>
> I wasnt in stood traffic, and the fan was spinning, but it soon went over
> the half way mark.

I'll bet you didn't bleed it right.

With a cold engine, remove the radiator cap and open the bleed screw.
Have the heater full on.

Run the engine until it gets warm, topping up as needed. When it gets
warm put the cap back on and shut the bleed screw. Leave it until the
temp gauge is in the middle then open the bleed screw whilst revving the
engine lightly. Close the bleed screw when there are no more air
bubbles.

Let it cool over night then top up the coolant if needed.

Works for me.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price
Old July 20th 06, 06:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

"John Burns" > wrote in message
> > I just changed the water pump and belt, took it for a quick spin and it

soon
> > went almost into the red...i just went around the block and got home.
> >
> > I wasnt in stood traffic, and the fan was spinning, but it soon went

over
> > the half way mark.

> I'll bet you didn't bleed it right.
>
> With a cold engine, remove the radiator cap and open the bleed screw.
> Have the heater full on.

Ok wheres the bleed screw? is that the very bottom of the radiatior?

> Run the engine until it gets warm, topping up as needed. When it gets
> warm put the cap back on and shut the bleed screw. Leave it until the
> temp gauge is in the middle then open the bleed screw whilst revving the
> engine lightly. Close the bleed screw when there are no more air
> bubbles.

I did that, kept topping up until it got warm, had it running idle until the
gauge hit midway.

> Let it cool over night then top up the coolant if needed.
>
> Works for me.

ok will try that cheers....never bled a radiator as such. thanks

Old July 20th 06, 08:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Jules" > wrote
> "John Burns" > wrote
>> I'll bet you didn't bleed it right.
>>
>> With a cold engine, remove the radiator cap and open the bleed screw.
>> Have the heater full on.

> Ok wheres the bleed screw? is that the very bottom of the radiatior?

The bleed screw is on top of the thermostat housing IIRC.

FloydR

Old July 21st 06, 08:16 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

"Floyd Rogers" > wrote in message
> "Jules" > wrote
> > "John Burns" > wrote
> >> I'll bet you didn't bleed it right.
> >>
> >> With a cold engine, remove the radiator cap and open the bleed screw.
> >> Have the heater full on.

> > Ok wheres the bleed screw? is that the very bottom of the radiatior?

> The bleed screw is on top of the thermostat housing IIRC.
>
> FloydR

Yes that sounds about right. i thought of that just after i posted my last
message...as i was looking at the screw earlier wondering what it was
for.......never 'bled' a radiator in 20 years and all my other cars were
70's Toyotas etc, this is my first BMW....i know i sound stupid...im not,
its just so new to me, like i have never changed a belt tht was conencted to
PAS? etc.

Old July 22nd 06, 03:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

"John Burns" > wrote in message
> > I just changed the water pump and belt, took it for a quick spin and it

soon
> > went almost into the red...i just went around the block and got home.
> >
> > I wasnt in stood traffic, and the fan was spinning, but it soon went

over
> > the half way mark.

> I'll bet you didn't bleed it right.
>
> With a cold engine, remove the radiator cap and open the bleed screw.
> Have the heater full on.
>
> Run the engine until it gets warm, topping up as needed. When it gets
> warm put the cap back on and shut the bleed screw. Leave it until the
> temp gauge is in the middle then open the bleed screw whilst revving the
> engine lightly. Close the bleed screw when there are no more air
> bubbles.
>
> Let it cool over night then top up the coolant if needed.
>
> Works for me.

I totally did that right...stil the same, i changed the thermostat...same
problem, points towards the red v quickly after a spin around the block....i
took of teh radiator and flushed it both ways......after a while it came
clean, but when put back on, like a hour a ago, it was soon over half on the
gauge going towrds red (never let it get into the red though)

SO it must be the radiator then....if i put a water hose in the rubber from
the top of the engine, it would come out at the botom after going through
the block, so thats ok. its just not circualting, the radiator is always
stone cold on the metal fins....

Hope someone else can offer advice....thanks

Old July 22nd 06, 08:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
RT[_1_]

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:00:39 GMT, "Jules"
> wrote:

>"John Burns" > wrote in message
>> > I just changed the water pump and belt, took it for a quick spin and it

>soon
>> > went almost into the red...i just went around the block and got home.
>> >
>> > I wasnt in stood traffic, and the fan was spinning, but it soon went

>over
>> > the half way mark.

>> I'll bet you didn't bleed it right.
>>
>> With a cold engine, remove the radiator cap and open the bleed screw.
>> Have the heater full on.
>>
>> Run the engine until it gets warm, topping up as needed. When it gets
>> warm put the cap back on and shut the bleed screw. Leave it until the
>> temp gauge is in the middle then open the bleed screw whilst revving the
>> engine lightly. Close the bleed screw when there are no more air
>> bubbles.
>>
>> Let it cool over night then top up the coolant if needed.
>>
>> Works for me.

>I totally did that right...stil the same, i changed the thermostat...same
>problem, points towards the red v quickly after a spin around the block....i
>took of teh radiator and flushed it both ways......after a while it came
>clean, but when put back on, like a hour a ago, it was soon over half on the
>gauge going towrds red (never let it get into the red though)
>
>SO it must be the radiator then....if i put a water hose in the rubber from
>the top of the engine, it would come out at the botom after going through
>the block, so thats ok. its just not circualting, the radiator is always
>stone cold on the metal fins....
>
>Hope someone else can offer advice....thanks

try putting the front of the car on ramps so the front of the car is
up higher, then do the whole bleed procedure again.

Old July 22nd 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

"RT" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:00:39 GMT, "Jules"
> > wrote:

it
> >soon

> >over
> >>
> >> I'll bet you didn't bleed it right.
> >>
> >> With a cold engine, remove the radiator cap and open the bleed screw.
> >> Have the heater full on.
> >>
> >> Run the engine until it gets warm, topping up as needed. When it gets
> >> warm put the cap back on and shut the bleed screw. Leave it until the
> >> temp gauge is in the middle then open the bleed screw whilst revving

the
> >> engine lightly. Close the bleed screw when there are no more air
> >> bubbles.
> >>
> >> Let it cool over night then top up the coolant if needed.
> >>
> >> Works for me.

> >I totally did that right...stil the same, i changed the thermostat...same
> >problem, points towards the red v quickly after a spin around the

block....i
> >took of teh radiator and flushed it both ways......after a while it came
> >clean, but when put back on, like a hour a ago, it was soon over half on

the
> >gauge going towrds red (never let it get into the red though)
> >
> >SO it must be the radiator then....if i put a water hose in the rubber

from
> >the top of the engine, it would come out at the botom after going through
> >the block, so thats ok. its just not circualting, the radiator is always
> >stone cold on the metal fins....
> >
> >Hope someone else can offer advice....thanks

> try putting the front of the car on ramps so the front of the car is
> up higher, then do the whole bleed procedure again.

ok will try that. the hose into the engine, and the one coming out at the
bottom got hot, but the rad stayed cold. we bled it for ages, but the rad
stayed cold.....sorry if i sound stupid, never had to bleed a rad ever.
thanks

my passat 92problem with heating device? VW water cooled 4 April 18th 06 02:42 PM
318 "P" Reg Over heating leeemma BMW 1 December 22nd 05 11:27 PM
over heating Jeep jsamson Jeep 8 December 13th 05 08:12 AM
91 SI..eating a litre of oil a week, after rebuild??? RayGun Honda 0 August 11th 05 01:41 PM
1996 Caravan 3.0 Litre spark plug gap Morgan Perry Chrysler 3 June 23rd 05 06:46 AM