Hyundai Problem with Quality

Old June 29th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Hyundai Problem with Quality

hi,
I am new to this forum. I have a question that I believe some people
may be informed about. I am an industrial and mechanical engineer who
also worked in some car companies but it has been a while and need to
refresh memory. We have a Hyundai Elentra, as a family car. In a heavy
rain, the car was flooded with a leakage from the bottom and the when
we took it to the mechanic we were informed that the airbag was out of
order. We needed to change it. Now, to me this is a big safety issue.
How can a car be flooded by rain water and even if so, how can a car
company design cars so that the airbag would be destroyed by such a
defect? We could have noticed this during an accident as well, losing
our lives!! I am suing Hyundai and I need the regulations that are
about the quality tests on rain water and safety. Please help me with
your knowledge on the issue.

Appletree

Old June 29th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

appletree wrote:
> hi,
> I am new to this forum. I have a question that I believe some people
> may be informed about. I am an industrial and mechanical engineer who
> also worked in some car companies but it has been a while and need to
> refresh memory. We have a Hyundai Elentra, as a family car. In a heavy
> rain, the car was flooded with a leakage from the bottom and the when
> we took it to the mechanic we were informed that the airbag was out of
> order. We needed to change it. Now, to me this is a big safety issue.
> How can a car be flooded by rain water and even if so, how can a car
> company design cars so that the airbag would be destroyed by such a
> defect? We could have noticed this during an accident as well, losing
> our lives!! I am suing Hyundai and I need the regulations that are
> about the quality tests on rain water and safety. Please help me with
> your knowledge on the issue.
>
> Appletree

I don't see your point. You flooded your vehicle and took it to a
mechanic to be inspected. You are lucky you did not total your car with
the flood water. Your mechanic was able to inform you of a problem and
you can decide whether to fix it or drive without this safety feature.
Hyundai is not involved in any meaningful way. A manufacturer cannot
protect people from foolish behavior, accidents, or flooding. The owner
has responsibility for these things.

When you find the "quality tests on rain water and safety", please
inform us here.

Old June 29th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

>We have a Hyundai Elentra, as a family car. In a heavy
> rain, the car was flooded with a leakage from the bottom and the when
> we took it to the mechanic we were informed that the airbag was out of
> order. We needed to change it. Now, to me this is a big safety issue.
> How can a car be flooded by rain water and even if so, how can a car
> company design cars so that the airbag would be destroyed by such a
> defect?
> I am suing Hyundai and I need the regulations that are
> about the quality tests on rain water and safety. Please help me with
> your knowledge on the issue.

Im still trying to figure out this group thing so please forgive my
inexperience.

I just want to ask and point out a few things. The car was in "heavy
rain" and flooded from the bottom up? or it flooded around the bottom
of the vehicle? I was hoping you would specify. It would seem that
these vehicles are cheap for a reason; however for that amount to water
to "flood" the vehicle in,near, or around the bottom - it would had to
have been alot of rain/water. Of course owning a family car you (being
the owner) would want the up-most safety out of any vehicle. Of course
the safey bag is a safety issue. But here in this case, because the
damage done was the result of an act of god, or nature; Hyundai cant be
at fault. As harsh and cruel as this may sound, the case itself wouldnt
hold much in court. Is this all there was to the story? If there is
more information, please do share. Or if i am not fully understanding
the situation please clarify. thank you.

Old June 29th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

This numb post seems too silly to be real, so water entered you car from the
bottom, thru the doors maybe, all the electronics for SIRS are under the
seat or console, when submerged they were damaged.Gee I thought I was
driving a submarine!!
oups.com...

Old June 29th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 29 Jun 2006 06:17:41 -0700, "appletree" >
wrote:

>hi,
>I am new to this forum. I have a question that I believe some people
>may be informed about. I am an industrial and mechanical engineer who
>also worked in some car companies but it has been a while and need to
>refresh memory. We have a Hyundai Elentra, as a family car. In a heavy
>rain, the car was flooded with a leakage from the bottom and the when
>we took it to the mechanic we were informed that the airbag was out of
>order. We needed to change it. Now, to me this is a big safety issue.
>How can a car be flooded by rain water and even if so, how can a car
>company design cars so that the airbag would be destroyed by such a
>defect? We could have noticed this during an accident as well, losing
>our lives!! I am suing Hyundai and I need the regulations that are
>about the quality tests on rain water and safety. Please help me with
>your knowledge on the issue.
>
>Appletree

You have a Hyundai car, not a Hyundai boat. It wasn't meant to sit in
flood waters. Have you contacted your insurance company? You may be
able to get them to pay for the repairs since the damage was from an
act of God.
Old June 30th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Steve B." > wrote in message
> On 29 Jun 2006 06:17:41 -0700, "appletree" >
> wrote:
>
>>hi,
>>I am new to this forum. I have a question that I believe some people
>>may be informed about. I am an industrial and mechanical engineer who
>>also worked in some car companies but it has been a while and need to
>>refresh memory. We have a Hyundai Elentra, as a family car. In a heavy
>>rain, the car was flooded with a leakage from the bottom and the when
>>we took it to the mechanic we were informed that the airbag was out of
>>order. We needed to change it. Now, to me this is a big safety issue.
>>How can a car be flooded by rain water and even if so, how can a car
>>company design cars so that the airbag would be destroyed by such a
>>defect? We could have noticed this during an accident as well, losing
>>our lives!! I am suing Hyundai and I need the regulations that are
>>about the quality tests on rain water and safety. Please help me with
>>your knowledge on the issue.
>>
>>Appletree

> You have a Hyundai car, not a Hyundai boat. It wasn't meant to sit in
> flood waters. Have you contacted your insurance company? You may be
> able to get them to pay for the repairs since the damage was from an
> act of God.

This is bogus, an engineer buys a Hyundai ? No way.

Old June 30th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"woops" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Steve B." > wrote in message
>> On 29 Jun 2006 06:17:41 -0700, "appletree" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>hi,
>>>I am new to this forum. I have a question that I believe some people
>>>may be informed about. I am an industrial and mechanical engineer who
>>>also worked in some car companies but it has been a while and need to
>>>refresh memory. We have a Hyundai Elentra, as a family car. In a heavy
>>>rain, the car was flooded with a leakage from the bottom and the when
>>>we took it to the mechanic we were informed that the airbag was out of
>>>order. We needed to change it. Now, to me this is a big safety issue.
>>>How can a car be flooded by rain water and even if so, how can a car
>>>company design cars so that the airbag would be destroyed by such a
>>>defect? We could have noticed this during an accident as well, losing
>>>our lives!! I am suing Hyundai and I need the regulations that are
>>>about the quality tests on rain water and safety. Please help me with
>>>your knowledge on the issue.
>>>
>>>Appletree

>> You have a Hyundai car, not a Hyundai boat. It wasn't meant to sit in
>> flood waters. Have you contacted your insurance company? You may be
>> able to get them to pay for the repairs since the damage was from an
>> act of God.

> This is bogus, an engineer buys a Hyundai ? No way.

LMAO. Hey woops, here's hoping you are a liberal arts kind of guy,
'cause I'm gonna ask, "If not, then who else?" (I've got enough engineering
background that I can ask that--sarcastically, tho'!!!) s

Old June 30th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"sdlomi2" > wrote in message

> "woops" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "Steve B." > wrote in message

>>> You have a Hyundai car, not a Hyundai boat. It wasn't meant to sit in
>>> flood waters. Have you contacted your insurance company? You may be
>>> able to get them to pay for the repairs since the damage was from an
>>> act of God.

>> This is bogus, an engineer buys a Hyundai ? No way.
>>

> LMAO. Hey woops, here's hoping you are a liberal arts kind of guy,
> 'cause I'm gonna ask, "If not, then who else?" (I've got enough
> engineering background that I can ask that--sarcastically, tho'!!!) s

Sorry PE licensed in two states...
My conclusion that he bought the Hyundai could well be incorrect as I
re-read the original post. There are other ways for it to become his family
car.

But you don't need to be an engineer to understand a Hyundai. Just look at
the resale values or do a two minute google. But I hear they now come with
a 100K mile power train warranty. Wonder why the need to offer this ?
That's a rhetorical question of course.

Old June 30th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

My sister had a 1995 Accent for about 10 years and clocked 130K with no
major problems. They're certainly not as refined ( at least the 95 )
as japanese cars, but they're fairly durable and for the most part,
will go 100K with basic maintenance. At that point, it was considered
'disposable' since she had gotten her $5K out of it. She put a 'For
Sale' sign on it last fall, it sold next day for full asking price of
$800...even with keymarks & a few dings & bad rear struts & stuck EGR
valve.

I think Hyundai Motors is at the point that Toyota/Honda were about
15-20 years ago.

Old June 30th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"woops" > wrote in message
. ..

> "sdlomi2" > wrote in message
>>
>> "woops" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> This is bogus, an engineer buys a Hyundai ? No way.
>>>

>> LMAO. Hey woops, here's hoping you are a liberal arts kind of guy,
>> 'cause I'm gonna ask, "If not, then who else?" (I've got enough
>> engineering background that I can ask that--sarcastically, tho'!!!) s

> Sorry PE licensed in two states...
> My conclusion that he bought the Hyundai could well be incorrect as I
> re-read the original post. There are other ways for it to become his
> family car.
>
> But you don't need to be an engineer to understand a Hyundai. Just look
> at the resale values or do a two minute google. But I hear they now come
> with a 100K mile power train warranty. Wonder why the need to offer this
> ? That's a rhetorical question of course.

Hey Thanks for answering. Like I said, I too was an engr. for several
years. Then got into car business when wife started having babies & stopped
bringing home a paycheck. Even sold a few Hyundai's in latter years & never
a problem/complaint from retail units sold. (I was afraid to retail Honda's
when they 1st became available, and look what they did!)
We (I'm only a silent partner in a used car operation now.)are actually
having customers ask us to find them Hyundai's just as we are doing
w/Hondas, 'vettes, luxury cars, and believe it or not, Kia's. However,
people know we get 90% of our cars from new-Kia-trade-ins. I honestly
believe it's gonna be another 'Honda' to the US market.
Lotsa fun in this ng--plus knowledge. Have a good weekend, s