what kind of transmission oil i need for my 325i 2005

Old December 18th 05, 03:00 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default what kind of transmission oil i need for my 325i 2005

i need to find what kind of transmission oil i need and where i can get it,if
anyone can help me? thanks
Old December 18th 05, 03:15 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

You shouldn't need any.

Old December 18th 05, 12:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Auto or manual?

Manual should get a drain and fill of a good quality synthetic every 30K
miles. BMW uses D4 ATF but a lot of BMW techs recommend a slightly heavier
lubricant. Redline ATF or MTL would be a good choice. Do the Diff and the
PS too.

BMW recommends an auto drain and fill at 100K. That's too late to do much
good. I think you need to use their particular version of snake oil for the
auto trans ... it's VERY expensive. The Diff and PS should be done at 30K.

R / John

Old December 18th 05, 05:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

thanks for you reply,i need help! i got a 325i 2005 manual,and i went to
change the engine oil for the first time by myself,but i drained the
transmission one by mistake and i can't start the car until i put
transmission fluid,right? and i don't know what kind of oil i need and where
i can get it, i called bmw and they told me that it's a special fluid for
that car and i just can get it in bmw dealers, tha closest one is 3 hours
from here and they are close sunday and i'm flying tomorrow night for
vacation for a month,what you think that i can do? can i put another oil?

Old December 18th 05, 05:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

also where did you put the oil from underneath the car? cause i couldn't find
nothing under the hood.

Old December 18th 05, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

This link should help. http://www.bmw325i.net/index.shtml

Oil filter housing is the larger black-topped cylinder at the front of the
engine. It has a 36mm hex "nut" molded into it and requires a 36mm wrench
or socket to remove. The filter is held in place on the cap and slides
easily off for replacement. Replace the big "O" ring on the cap, the
filter, and screw the cap back on (not much torque, but more than finger
tight ... you'll need a wrench.) The cylinder to its right (looking from
the front to rear of engine) is the PS reservoir ... cap is removed by hand.

Oil drain is on the passenger side of the engine sump pan. Oil fill is that
square cap on the ribbed (ignition) engine cover (has "BMW" in silver and
several silver ribs molded in) it even has an oil can symbol molded into the
cap to keep it simple. The 325 should take 6.9 quarts to reach the fill
mark on the dipstick.

To fill the trans, you need to remove the fill plug (same wrench as the
drain ... 15, 17 mm? Can't remember) on the passenger side of the trans.
Fill until it runs out of the fill hole (about 1.point something quarts)
with synthetic D4 ATF or (better in my opinion) Redline MTL.

Good luck,
John

Old December 18th 05, 08:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

do you think that 75w-90 synthetic will work for now?

Old December 19th 05, 12:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

No, that's differential oil. All wrong for the BMW trans. If you can find
that, you should be able to find some synthetic ATF.

R / John

Old December 19th 05, 04:26 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

regulars01 via CarKB.com wrote:

> also where did you put the oil from underneath the car? cause i couldn't find
> nothing under the hood.

The fill point for the transmission (which is what you are referring to
correct?) is a bolt much like the one you loosened when you drained it.
Just up higher on the transmission.

A suggestion - since you have to leave for a trip.. call the BMW
roadside assistance - have the car flat-bedded to your friendly local
dealer, then call a cab to take you where you have to go.

There are some people who should not turn a wrench.