PICS: The 2011 Ford Explorer is COMING

Old May 19th 10, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
JLA

Default PICS: The 2011 Ford Explorer is COMING

New article about the 2011 Ford Explorer from MA

The Ford Explorer has had a mixed past--rollover lawsuits, relatively
ancient underpinnings and styling that hasn't always kept up with the
pace of the industry. But that's all about to change with the 2011
Explorer, and despite its move to the unibody Taurus platform, it's
upping the ante in off-roading with a new terrain management system
borrowed from Land Rover.

In development for more than two and half years, the new Explorer will
be just as tough as past generations despite the move to a car-based
platform and the adoption of new four-cylinder EcoBoost powertrains.
That’s the promise from the vehicle’s chief engineer Jim Holland,
whose previously worked on the redesign of the Range Rover SUV back
in 2002.

This latest teaser reveals a familial Flex-like front end and a
pumped-out Blue Oval three-bar grille but most of the details are
still covered. However, these previous spy shots of a prototype show
the design almost completely revealed.

The 2011 Ford Explorer will go on sale in the second half of the
year.

Despite the enticing performance and high-tech safety gear, there's
still a lot of confusion around Ford's current lineup of crossovers
and SUVs. With the Flex and Edge seeming filling out the space
nicely, the tweener position of the Explorer makes for a tight fit.
Balancing price, features and target market will make for a high-wire
act at Ford, but given their recent ascension to the top of the
American sales ranks, it's hard to argue with their planning--for
now, at least.

Pictures below

View the attachments for this post at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...76052#47776052

Old May 19th 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
C. E. White[_2_]

Default The 2011 Ford Explorer is COMING

It looks like a Freestyle (aka Taurus X).

Ed

Old May 20th 10, 07:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

My understanding is that the new Explorer will be a uni-body type
construction....

Old May 20th 10, 08:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

"Jim Warman" > wrote in news:Sh4Jn.4268$Z6.3305
@edtnps82:

> My understanding is that the new Explorer will be a uni-body type
> construction....

Might as well forget any serious towing capability.
Old May 20th 10, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
C. E. White[_2_]

> wrote in message
> "Jim Warman" > wrote in
> @edtnps82:
>
>> My understanding is that the new Explorer will be a uni-body type
>> construction....

> Might as well forget any serious towing capability.

Define serious....

Jeep Grand Cherokees can tow up to 7,400 lb and utilize unit body
construction.

The current Explorer with a frame is only rated to tow 7.115 lb.

So what is the problem?

If you want to tow 10,000 lb or more, get a truck.

Ed

Old May 22nd 10, 07:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

"C. E. White" > wrote in news:ht36f2$kit$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> > wrote in message
>> "Jim Warman" > wrote in
>> @edtnps82:
>>
>>> My understanding is that the new Explorer will be a uni-body type
>>> construction....

>> Might as well forget any serious towing capability.

> Define serious....
>
> Jeep Grand Cherokees can tow up to 7,400 lb and utilize unit body
> construction.
>
> The current Explorer with a frame is only rated to tow 7.115 lb.
>
> So what is the problem?
>
> If you want to tow 10,000 lb or more, get a truck.
>
> Ed

I would define 10,000 pounds as "massive" when talking about personal,
non-commercial uses. I define "serious" as my 19 foot boat. It's about
4,000 fully loaded. My 2002 with V8 and towing package does a good job
dragging it around. According to this website:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...-explorer1.htm
on new version the "rated towing capacity will be about 50 percent lower,
Ford says: 3500 pounds max versus 7300 now." So the cross-over version is
not an SUV as far as I'm concerned because it lacks the "U"

Old May 22nd 10, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Spanks

> > @news.eternal-september.org:
> >

> > > wrote in message
> > "Jim Warman" > wrote in
> > @edtnps82:
> >
> > My understanding is that the new Explorer will be a uni-body

type
> > construction....
> >
> > Might as well forget any serious towing capability.
> >
> > Define serious....
> >
> > Jeep Grand Cherokees can tow up to 7,400 lb and utilize unit

body
> > construction.
> >
> > The current Explorer with a frame is only rated to tow 7.115 lb.
> >
> > So what is the problem?
> >
> > If you want to tow 10,000 lb or more, get a truck.
> >
> > Ed
> >

> Anonymous wrote:
>

> I would define 10,000 pounds as "massive" when talking

about personal,
> non-commercial uses. I define "serious" as my 19 foot

boat. It's about
> 4,000 fully loaded. My 2002 with V8 and towing package does a good

job
> dragging it around. According to this website:

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...-explorer1.htm
> on new version the "rated towing capacity will be about 50

percent lower,
> Ford says: 3500 pounds max versus 7300 now." So the cross-over

version is
> not an SUV as far as I'm concerned because it lacks the

"U"

What exactly was their reason for switch from a Frame to uni-body.

Too bad they didn't go with a bit more retro look for the design.
Guess I am kinda partial as I think this was the best looking
Explorer ever made

See here

View the attachments for this post at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...48593#48248593

Old May 23rd 10, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
riserman

On 5/18/2010 11:20 PM, JLA wrote:
> New article about the 2011 Ford Explorer from MA
>
> The Ford Explorer has had a mixed past--rollover lawsuits, relatively
> ancient underpinnings and styling that hasn't always kept up with the
> pace of the industry. But that's all about to change with the 2011
> Explorer, and despite its move to the unibody Taurus platform, it's
> upping the ante in off-roading with a new terrain management system
> borrowed from Land Rover.
>
> In development for more than two and half years, the new Explorer will
> be just as tough as past generations despite the move to a car-based
> platform and the adoption of new four-cylinder EcoBoost powertrains.
> That�s the promise from the vehicle�s chief engineer Jim Holland,
> whose previously worked on the redesign of the Range Rover SUV back
> in 2002.
>
> This latest teaser reveals a familial Flex-like front end and a
> pumped-out Blue Oval three-bar grille but most of the details are
> still covered. However, these previous spy shots of a prototype show
> the design almost completely revealed.
>
> The 2011 Ford Explorer will go on sale in the second half of the
> year.
>
> Despite the enticing performance and high-tech safety gear, there's
> still a lot of confusion around Ford's current lineup of crossovers
> and SUVs. With the Flex and Edge seeming filling out the space
> nicely, the tweener position of the Explorer makes for a tight fit.
> Balancing price, features and target market will make for a high-wire
> act at Ford, but given their recent ascension to the top of the
> American sales ranks, it's hard to argue with their planning--for
> now, at least.
>
> Pictures below
>
> View the attachments for this post at:
> http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...76052#47776052

With the availability of the Flex and the Edge, why even manufacture the
Explorer? Who needs it?
Old May 23rd 10, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

The logic behind a switch like this is generally weight reduction... along
with lower manufacturing costs.

Less weight = better fuel consumption. Unless I am mistaken, monocoque
construction also allows better tailoring of crumple zones for crash
survivability.

Old May 23rd 10, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

I love broccoli... many people don't. Many people love yogurt... I don't...

The Explorer is still being manufactured because enough people "seem to need
one" to make it profitable would be my guess.