Removing screws that will not come out.

Old March 30th 05, 08:50 PM
Noice87

Default Removing screws that will not come out.

The screw that holds the circular metal piece around the head light
will not come out. I am sure it is stripped now as my dad tried to
drill it out. Any ideas? The left one came out just fine. I need it
out so I can finish removing the fender.

Thanks Steven

Old March 30th 05, 08:56 PM
Jan Andersson

Noice87 wrote:

> The screw that holds the circular metal piece around the head light
> will not come out. I am sure it is stripped now as my dad tried to
> drill it out. Any ideas? The left one came out just fine. I need it
> out so I can finish removing the fender.
>
> Thanks Steven

The headlight ring should come clean off if you drill the screw head
out.
Then you get good access to the screw. If the screw turns with the drill
bit, then I don't know what to do.
Pry the trim ring open against the screw head from the bottom with a
sturdy wooden stick or something?

Jan
Old March 30th 05, 09:16 PM
Adam

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:50:58 -0800, Noice87 wrote:

> The screw that holds the circular metal piece around the head light will
> not come out. I am sure it is stripped now as my dad tried to drill it
> out. Any ideas? The left one came out just fine. I need it out so I can
> finish removing the fender.

Is it actually holding the headlight rim on, or is it an adjustment screw
for the headlight? I'm pretty sure my '68 beetle only had 1 screw at the
bottom holding the rim on and it was hooked over a bit of metal at the
top. The other screw did nothing, but was meant for headlight adjustment
once upon a time.

--
Adam
Old March 30th 05, 09:23 PM
Jan Andersson

Adam wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:50:58 -0800, Noice87 wrote:
>
> > The screw that holds the circular metal piece around the head light will
> > not come out. I am sure it is stripped now as my dad tried to drill it
> > out. Any ideas? The left one came out just fine. I need it out so I can
> > finish removing the fender.

> Is it actually holding the headlight rim on, or is it an adjustment screw
> for the headlight? I'm pretty sure my '68 beetle only had 1 screw at the
> bottom holding the rim on and it was hooked over a bit of metal at the
> top. The other screw did nothing, but was meant for headlight adjustment
> once upon a time.
>
> --
> Adam

Oh yea, that's true Only the bottom one at 6 o'clock holds the trim
ring on.

Jan
Old March 30th 05, 09:49 PM
Howard Rose

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:16:54 +0100, Adam >
wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:50:58 -0800, Noice87 wrote:
>
>> The screw that holds the circular metal piece around the head light will
>> not come out. I am sure it is stripped now as my dad tried to drill it
>> out. Any ideas? The left one came out just fine. I need it out so I can
>> finish removing the fender.

>Is it actually holding the headlight rim on, or is it an adjustment screw
>for the headlight? I'm pretty sure my '68 beetle only had 1 screw at the
>bottom holding the rim on and it was hooked over a bit of metal at the
>top. The other screw did nothing, but was meant for headlight adjustment
>once upon a time.

The two in my '66 are just adjustment screws. The rim is removed from
the light unit by taking out the spring clips holding it together.

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old March 31st 05, 12:15 AM
Noice87

It holds the rim in. I got the other out with no problems. I will be
replacing the rims as they have dings in them.

Thanks Steven