Timing Belts vs Chains

Old September 23rd 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Default Timing Belts vs Chains

As the Astra has a timing belt (as did the L300 V6 and the Honda-powered V6
VUE) and all other Saturs have a timing chain, I wanted to stsrt a thread on
the pros and cons of both. Both have thier vulnerabilities and good points.
Saturn belts are good for 100K mi, which is more than many out there.

Googling for this info revealed lots of useful info. Gave me a a good heads
up on both to ponder.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg02133.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=advan...x=&startPage=1

--
marx404
<all gmail posts blocked>

Old September 24th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

My 2001 LW300 V6 had almost 100K on it when I replaced the timing belt. The
belt had practically no observable wear at that point and was otherwise in
good shape. I bought the car with 40K on it and will assume that nothing
happened in the previous life that required a new belt.

would have replaced the belt myself except for the large amount of special
tools to hold the cams locked into position and align everything. there are
two tensioners and the relation between the two sets a fine timing position.
Way too tricky and catastrophic to the engine if a mistake was to be made.
I've done chains and belts on other less complicated engines. On Chain
drives, you have to remove more of the front of the engine to get the front
cover off.

Oppie

Ever since most of the ISPs killed alt groups, I've been using teranews for
most of my ng access. Lately, I haven't been able to post and article
retention is getting pretty bad. Just realized that I could still access
this group through the verizon ng server. I'm going to have to find another
independent usenet provider and tell teranews to take a hike.

Old September 24th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
PerfectReign[_1_]

marx404 turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

> As the Astra has a timing belt (as did the L300 V6 and the Honda-powered
> V6 VUE) and all other Saturs have a timing chain, I wanted to stsrt a
> thread on the pros and cons of both. Both have thier vulnerabilities and
> good points. Saturn belts are good for 100K mi, which is more than many
> out there.
>
> Googling for this info revealed lots of useful info. Gave me a a good
> heads up on both to ponder.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg02133.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=advan...x=&startPage=1

I have no preference either way. I've had vehicles with chains ('87
Nissan, '94 Jimmy, '98 Maxima, '06 Avalanche) and with belts ('93
Altima, '02 Sedona, '05 Vue). Both work.

The only thing you have to remember is to change the belt when it is time.

No big deal.

government is a process which utilizes 45.5% gut reaction, 45.5% laws and
statutes and 1% logic
Old September 24th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman[_2_]

It's basically a $$$ thing which adds to the cost of ownership ... with a
properly maintained engine, a timing chain should realistically last the
life of the vehicle. With timing belts, you'll spend $ changing the timing
belt (and likely the water pump too as preventive measure) every change
interval.

As one point of reference here, one vehicle I own has a 60K mile timing belt
replacement interval, so this means it will be changed 3 times for me over
my average of 12 years of ownership. The price for that service on that
vehicle is currently $1K, so this is not insignificant. Also, check to see
if the engine is interference or non-interference. This will tell you if
the engine will be destroyed if the timing belt breaks ... this allows you
to decide whether to take the risk and go longer that the recommended
interval. Non-interference engines are preferred, but may sacrifice power.

Bob

Old September 24th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Not that timing chains are perfect either. Back in my ford years, I rebuilt
two engines that were damaged by a failed timing chain. The chain itself was
still in reasonable shape as was the crankshaft sprocket but the camshaft
sprocket which had Nylon (iirc) molded teeth was worn and allowed the chain
to skip.

That being said, it is important to add that most 'modern' engines with
timing chains now include some sort of chain tensioner to not only tension
it but to damp it from flopping about at high speeds. All the tensioners
I've seen lately are a combination of spring and hydraulic assist (operated
from engine oil pressure).
Oppie

Old October 6th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Gyzmologist[_2_]

marx404 wrote:
> As the Astra has a timing belt (as did the L300 V6 and the Honda-powered V6
> VUE) and all other Saturs have a timing chain, I wanted to stsrt a thread on
> the pros and cons of both. Both have thier vulnerabilities and good points.
> Saturn belts are good for 100K mi, which is more than many out there.
>
> Googling for this info revealed lots of useful info. Gave me a a good heads
> up on both to ponder.
>
> http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg02133.html
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=advan...x=&startPage=1

I wonder how much it would cost to replace the AC compressor or water
pump. I believe these are driven by the timing chain, and I don't think
I like that idea. The cost of the water pump would probably far exceed
replacement of timing belts and water pumps for the life of most other
engines.

--
Gyz

Everyone thinks they know how to drive.
Everyone thinks they are good drivers.
Old October 6th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

A/C Compressor is usually driven by its own belt. Water pump can be driven
by either a serpentine belt or in some designs, by the timing belt. I've
never seen these both driven by the timing chain in any vehicles I've worked
on.

Bob

"Gyzmologist" > wrote in message
> marx404 wrote:
>> As the Astra has a timing belt (as did the L300 V6 and the Honda-powered
>> V6 VUE) and all other Saturs have a timing chain, I wanted to stsrt a
>> thread on the pros and cons of both. Both have thier vulnerabilities and
>> good points. Saturn belts are good for 100K mi, which is more than many
>> out there.
>>
>> Googling for this info revealed lots of useful info. Gave me a a good
>> heads up on both to ponder.
>>
>> http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg02133.html
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=advan...x=&startPage=1
>>

> I wonder how much it would cost to replace the AC compressor or water
> pump. I believe these are driven by the timing chain, and I don't think I
> like that idea. The cost of the water pump would probably far exceed
> replacement of timing belts and water pumps for the life of most other
> engines.
>
> --
> Gyz
>
> Everyone thinks they know how to drive.
> Everyone thinks they are good drivers.

01 Prelude Timing Chains really real Honda 9 July 7th 08 10:49 PM
timing chains supplier [email protected] BMW 1 October 8th 07 12:32 PM
timing belts bennyc Audi 2 April 12th 06 02:20 PM
AWA [DEMAND] timing belts [email protected] General 0 January 21st 06 03:01 PM