Belt is screeching again

Old March 15th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
mrichards

Default Belt is screeching again

I just replaced the belt on my 97 SL1 this past Dec. and it has started
slipping again when first starting. I checked to see if there was any oil
on it and it looks clean. I have about 174k miles on it and was wondering
if the tensioner could be weak or pulley is locking up. Anyone have any
of these symptoms before?
Thanks a bunch,
MR
Old March 15th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Chuck[_1_]

I've had this sympton on my '95 SW2 for years. The belt squeals
sometimes for a few seconds after first starting the engine. I've
changed the belt and pulled off the pulleys to check the bearings.
I've concluded it's a weak tensioner. (I figure the extra load from
the alternator recharging the battery after starting causes some belt
slippage.) Still not sure if I'm gonna bother replacing the
tensioner. The part is not real expensive, but the job is a little
bit of a pain due to limited working room.

Old March 15th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie

I've seen other posts here about weak tensioners and how they should be
replaced. Also worth if you have to take off the belt, to inspect all the
grooves that they are clean and free of any compacted crud. If the belt
can't seat all the way into the groove, it will slip.
You are correct about the alternator load on startup. It is sometimes worse
when the alternator has been replaced with a heavier duty unit which has a
higher torque load. When the system is charging, the highest torqe load from
the alternator is at idle.
Oppie

oups.com...

Old March 15th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
mrichards

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:41:07 -0500, Chuck > wrote:

> I've had this sympton on my '95 SW2 for years. The belt squeals
> sometimes for a few seconds after first starting the engine. I've
> changed the belt and pulled off the pulleys to check the bearings.
> I've concluded it's a weak tensioner. (I figure the extra load from
> the alternator recharging the battery after starting causes some belt
> slippage.) Still not sure if I'm gonna bother replacing the
> tensioner.

Sounds like a good cause for the slipping.

> The part is not real expensive, but the job is a little
> bit of a pain due to limited working room.

You have that right. It would be nice if a fender well panel could be
removed for easy access.
Thanks for the input.
MR
Old March 15th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
James1549

I would recommend replacing the tensioner. And I would do it before it
comes apart while you are out on the road. My buddy is a parts guy at
Saturn and he claims they see them come apart and will leave you
stranded. Replace the tensioner on your terms and schedule, not your
cars! I have replaced mine twice in 120K, so yours must be living on
borrowed time.

James

Old March 16th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
mrichards

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:12:00 -0500, James1549 >
wrote:

> I would recommend replacing the tensioner. And I would do it before it
> comes apart while you are out on the road. My buddy is a parts guy at
> Saturn and he claims they see them come apart and will leave you
> stranded. Replace the tensioner on your terms and schedule, not your
> cars! I have replaced mine twice in 120K, so yours must be living on
> borrowed time.
>
> James

Is it the whole tensioner or just the pulley that fails or both? The
pulley looks as if it would be pretty easy to change, but the tensioner
looks to be a real bitch to change out.
Thanks,
MR
Old March 17th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Lane

The tensioner is fastened to the motor with 2 bolts if I recall correctly.
Remove the inner wheel well liner, and access it will provide should allow
you to swap it without too much fuss.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

newsp.tpab7jjg46xnuk@mr-notebook...

Old March 17th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
mrichards

After getting into it, I noticed that the tensioner, and idler pulley that
mounts on center of engine need replacing. The idler pulley is worn where
the belt contacts and grease has come out of the bearing and caked on
seals. Also, tensioner is shot and pulley on it is worn also.
I am in the middle of removing the tensioner now(ran out of time last
nite). It is a tough place to work with large hands even thru the wheel
well. The new tensioner came with a poly pulley instead of metal. Sure
hope it holds up as well as the metal one. It should as it cost $58.
Thanks for the all the info from the group.
MR

Old March 17th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
James1549

Working thru the wheel housing is the easiest, but one bolt is still a
pain, but not impossible. If I recall correctly, I used a u-joint or
wobble extention.

Replace both the tensioner and the idler pulley if you suspect both
are bad or high milage. The tensioner will have the pulley already
attached.

Old March 20th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
mrichards

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:59:59 -0500, James1549 >
wrote:

> Working thru the wheel housing is the easiest, but one bolt is still a
> pain, but not impossible. If I recall correctly, I used a u-joint or
> wobble extention.

It is the top bolt on the tensioner that was a pain to get out and in due
to pwr. steering pulley, but finnally finished it using a few sockets,
wrenches etc.

> Replace both the tensioner and the idler pulley if you suspect both
> are bad or high milage. The tensioner will have the pulley already
> attached.

Right on. I replaced both as they had both lost the grease out of the
bearings and had a groove worn in the pulleys from the back of belt
contact and possibly pulley drag. I suspect that the pulleys were right
at the point of self destructing and will check to see if the drag from
them was causing a drop in gas mileage.
Thanks again for the info.
MR

screeching pulley - how to fix? Nate Nagel Technology 7 August 21st 06 08:09 PM
screeching sound [email protected] Technology 3 March 14th 06 08:13 PM
93 Accord EX - Screeching [email protected] Honda 4 January 26th 06 01:47 AM
screeching schmair gees Saturn 4 April 28th 05 04:46 PM
156 - screeching starter motor? fmt Alfa Romeo 5 September 30th 04 11:06 PM