changing 2003 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN TIRES

Old August 10th 06, 04:42 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default changing 2003 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN TIRES

Hello,

I have like 25K miles .. and yday had a blow out... on my left rear
tire.( there was a 2 inch hole on the side if it. )

got a new one installed at sams ..

i wanted to know if it is better in the long run to change the second
rear, also.. and /or change the front too.

the other tires are.. in good/avg shape... how do u measure /rate a
conditon of the tire.. I can still see quite some tread left

also.. one more thing.. the VAN recommneds 36psi for the tires.. which
have a MAX rating of 44PSI..

now this one tire I installed has a MAX RATING of only 35PSI... and the
guy at sams told me that I can fill it till 35PSI..

is that fine to keep one at its MAX 35 PSI and others at 36PSI..

Old August 10th 06, 07:49 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
maxpower

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have like 25K miles .. and yday had a blow out... on my left rear
> tire.( there was a 2 inch hole on the side if it. )
>
> got a new one installed at sams ..
>
> i wanted to know if it is better in the long run to change the second
> rear, also.. and /or change the front too.

If the other tires are good leave em alone

> the other tires are.. in good/avg shape... how do u measure /rate a
> conditon of the tire.. I can still see quite some tread left
>

> also.. one more thing.. the VAN recommneds 36psi for the tires.. which
> have a MAX rating of 44PSI..
>
> now this one tire I installed has a MAX RATING of only 35PSI... and the
> guy at sams told me that I can fill it till 35PSI..
>
> is that fine to keep one at its MAX 35 PSI and others at 36PSI..

It wont make a difference

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler tech

Old August 12th 06, 11:12 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
scrook

The 44psi tires are heavier load range (prob light truck "LT" tires), the
tire from Sams may be underrated for the application, so firtst I'd be sure
you have the right tire. Then I'd be inclined to run a matched pair
(brand/model/size) on the axle, but first things first, get a proper size &
load range tire installed.

Old August 21st 06, 01:35 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Thanks for all the insightful advice.

the TIRE RATING is 735Kgs.

the original TIRE on my Van( on the remaining 3 wheels is ) 750Kgs.

now. the tire i installed is a P215/70R15 tubeless radial.

Someone advised me to atleast replace an axle at a time ie. 2. so I
should change one more. but as I said earlier, the other 3 tires have
quite a lot of TREAD left on them.

also, I am a bit paranoid on getting another blow out and the last time
it was the read left.

so should I buy one more tire( 80 bucks) and put the new 2 ones onto
the front axle, and leave 2 old ones on the rear.

thanks in advance

Old August 21st 06, 03:26 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

The law in most places states you are driving an 'unsafe vehicle' if you
have mis matched tires on the same axle. If you get into an accident
and they notice this, you can end up in trouble or even on the end of a
tow truck. (silly spare is the exception, but is limited in speed)

The different load rating tires will handle differently when you corner
and this can cause the vehicle to sway to the point of loss of control
or a spin out on a corner.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's