Caravan rear brake pad replacement

Old August 16th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Caravan rear brake pad replacement

My apologies as I am not an expert mechanic like some folks here. I
have searched the group and have found all sorts of issues on brakes,
but not what I need. I am having news server issues so maybe I am
missing something in the process.

My rear brakes on my 2001 caravan make noise when I first start her up
and take off, but it almost disappears after awhile. I am thinking it
*may* need brake pads in the rear. I had them checked awhile ago, and
they said something about ridges forming on the drum and cleaned them
up (& of course charged me for it), but with little result. They did
also tell me this is a common issue on caravans.

Now - does anyone know of a site or a thread which tells a dummy like
me how to go about checking/replacing the linings on the rear (non-ABS)
brakes in a 2001 dodge caravan?

Thanks for any and all information. Because of the news server issue,
if you could copy any (polite!!? lol) response to
it would be appreciated.

regards.

Old August 17th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

hi - thank you for the reply. What are the certain tools you refer to?
I gather one is like a sort of screwdriver to adjust the
clearance/drag. The other must be a spring compressor of some type, or
if I go to some auto store and thell them what I am trying to do, would
they know what I need?

thanks for putting up with what I am sure are dumb questions.

regards.

Old August 17th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
fweddybear

> hi - thank you for the reply. What are the certain tools you refer to?
> I gather one is like a sort of screwdriver to adjust the
> clearance/drag. The other must be a spring compressor of some type, or
> if I go to some auto store and thell them what I am trying to do, would
> they know what I need?
>
> thanks for putting up with what I am sure are dumb questions.
>
> regards.
>
> wrote:
>> My apologies as I am not an expert mechanic like some folks here. I
>> have searched the group and have found all sorts of issues on brakes,
>> but not what I need. I am having news server issues so maybe I am
>> missing something in the process.
>>
>> My rear brakes on my 2001 caravan make noise when I first start her up
>> and take off, but it almost disappears after awhile. I am thinking it
>> *may* need brake pads in the rear. I had them checked awhile ago, and
>> they said something about ridges forming on the drum and cleaned them
>> up (& of course charged me for it), but with little result. They did
>> also tell me this is a common issue on caravans.
>>
>> Now - does anyone know of a site or a thread which tells a dummy like
>> me how to go about checking/replacing the linings on the rear (non-ABS)
>> brakes in a 2001 dodge caravan?
>>
>> Thanks for any and all information. Because of the news server issue,
>> if you could copy any (polite!!? lol) response to

>> it would be appreciated.
>>
>> regards.

I am not sure what the tool is called, but yes.... it has what looks
like a screwdriver on one end, and on the other it is rounded with a sort of
notch or indentation so that you can attach it to the stud where the two
springs are located. I guess it might be called a drum brake tool... the
auto parts place should know right away, or you probably should find another
store if they dont...

Fwed