Hard evidence needed...

Old April 25th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Hard evidence needed...

that the driver's side airbag is or is not a hazard to a rearward
facing child seat in the center position in a 2-door pickup truck.

For reasons that take too long to go into, I was wondering if anyone
has institutional, verifiable evidence that the driver's side airbag in
a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab presents a significant hazard to a
child in the center seat position who is properly seated in a rearward
facing child seat.

The IIHS and NHSTA sites only talk about child seats in the passenger
position (at least from what I could discern) with no mention of the
center position; I need to know whether or not I need to disable the
driver's side airbag as well.

I am well aware that the safest place for a child seat is in the back
seat of a vehicle. I am also aware that my truck does not have one.
What I do have is a tether point in the middle and no clear indication
that the driver's side airbag will impact the baby seat.

Also, if anyone has another forum where I could post a similar query,
please let me know.

TIA,
-Phil Crow

Old April 25th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:
> that the driver's side airbag is or is not a hazard to a rearward
> facing child seat in the center position in a 2-door pickup truck.
>
> For reasons that take too long to go into, I was wondering if anyone
> has institutional, verifiable evidence that the driver's side airbag in
> a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab presents a significant hazard to a
> child in the center seat position who is properly seated in a rearward
> facing child seat.
>
> The IIHS and NHSTA sites only talk about child seats in the passenger
> position (at least from what I could discern) with no mention of the
> center position; I need to know whether or not I need to disable the
> driver's side airbag as well.
>
> I am well aware that the safest place for a child seat is in the back
> seat of a vehicle. I am also aware that my truck does not have one.
> What I do have is a tether point in the middle and no clear indication
> that the driver's side airbag will impact the baby seat.
>
> Also, if anyone has another forum where I could post a similar query,
> please let me know.
>
> TIA,
> -Phil Crow

I have no such data. However, company I was working for was working on
occupant sensor to control when bag deployed. Problem with rear facing
child seat was that acceleration given to seat by bag would bang child's
head against backrest at sufficient Gs to cause injury. The kid seats
in most cars would not be far from bags.
Old April 25th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Sniff! Sniff!

Do I detect the faint odor of litigation here?

Do the reasons REALLY "....take too long to go into....."?

Or do you just NOT want to make it known that any "hard evidence" provided
might be used in a lawsuit - with the subsequent subpoena of any "expert"
providing such information?

Old April 25th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Install an airbag disable switch. Google it.

b.
Old April 25th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I would try Dodge direct and ask for the inflated dimensions of the air
bag or maybe track down the maker's name and ask them direct. The info
should be easy to find. Those and a tape measure would resolve the
question pretty fast.

It's a good question too.... Airbags even kill short drivers.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 26th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

..
..
=============
=============
* wrote in message:

> Sniff! Sniff!
>
> Do I detect the faint odor of litigation here?
>
> Do the reasons REALLY "....take too long to go into....."?
>
> Or do you just NOT want to make it known that any "hard evidence" provided
> might be used in a lawsuit - with the subsequent subpoena of any "expert"
> providing such information?

===========
===========

You live in a weird world man.........

life so good you worry about **** like that?

lmao

~:~
MarshMonster
~is off to do a google on the airbag deal......he likes being
subpoena'd....
and if it'll save a kids life....it's worth the effort~

Old April 26th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:
> that the driver's side airbag is or is not a hazard to a rearward
> facing child seat in the center position in a 2-door pickup truck.
>
> For reasons that take too long to go into, I was wondering if anyone
> has institutional, verifiable evidence that the driver's side airbag in
> a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab presents a significant hazard to a
> child in the center seat position who is properly seated in a rearward
> facing child seat.
>
> The IIHS and NHSTA sites only talk about child seats in the passenger
> position (at least from what I could discern) with no mention of the
> center position; I need to know whether or not I need to disable the
> driver's side airbag as well.
>
> I am well aware that the safest place for a child seat is in the back
> seat of a vehicle. I am also aware that my truck does not have one.
> What I do have is a tether point in the middle and no clear indication
> that the driver's side airbag will impact the baby seat.
>
> Also, if anyone has another forum where I could post a similar query,
> please let me know.
>
> TIA,
> -Phil Crow

============
============

Phil,
the eng. size and if tranny is auto or manual would be helpfull.
The following is NOT airbag related, but interesting.
I'm still checking TSBs, so more may follow.

~:~
MarshMonster
~:~

November 2000

Safety Recall No. 957 - Owner's Manual Addendum

Models

IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle
inventory. Federal law requires you to stop sale and complete this
recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should
also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and
should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved
vehicles can be determined by using the DIAL VIP System.

Subject

The owners manual supplied with about 1,210,000 of the above vehicles
may have omitted certain information required under Federal Motor
Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 225, which relates to child
restraint anchorage systems. Federal regulations require that some
specific instructions be provided in the owner's manual to ensure that
a child restraint system tether strap is properly attached and to
identify the seat positions that have tether anchorages.

Repair

Owner's manual addendum cards are being mailed directly to all owners
known to DaimlerChrysler with the owner notification letter. The owners
are requested to insert the card into their owner's manual. Dealers
must insert a copy of the correct addendum card into each affected
unsold vehicle in dealer inventory before retail delivery.

Parts Information

Each dealer to whom vehicles in the recall were invoiced (or the
current dealer at the same street address) will receive enough Owner's
Manual Addendum Cards to service 100% of their UNSOLD vehicles.

Dealers should determine which addendum card is required for each
vehicle by:

Old April 26th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:
> that the driver's side airbag is or is not a hazard to a rearward
> facing child seat in the center position in a 2-door pickup truck.
>
> For reasons that take too long to go into, I was wondering if anyone
> has institutional, verifiable evidence that the driver's side airbag in
> a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab presents a significant hazard to a
> child in the center seat position who is properly seated in a rearward
> facing child seat.
>
> The IIHS and NHSTA sites only talk about child seats in the passenger
> position (at least from what I could discern) with no mention of the
> center position; I need to know whether or not I need to disable the
> driver's side airbag as well.
>
> I am well aware that the safest place for a child seat is in the back
> seat of a vehicle. I am also aware that my truck does not have one.
> What I do have is a tether point in the middle and no clear indication
> that the driver's side airbag will impact the baby seat.
>
> Also, if anyone has another forum where I could post a similar query,
> please let me know.
>
> TIA,
> -Phil Crow

=============
=============

There were no other pertinent TSBs or Recalls listed that would apply
to the topic.

here's a link that's on topic........

http://www.kidseat.org/

~:~
MarshMonster
~:~

Old April 26th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Marsh Monster wrote:
> Phil,
> the eng. size and if tranny is auto or manual would be helpfull.
> The following is NOT airbag related, but interesting.
> I'm still checking TSBs, so more may follow.
>

> ~:~
> MarshMonster
> ~:~
>

> November 2000
>
> Safety Recall No. 957 - Owner's Manual Addendum

Okay, Marsh. 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 3.8L V-6 automatic transmission.
8-foot bed. Um, tilt steering, cruise, 16" chrome wheels, and sliding
glass were the options.

Better to have it and not need it, right?

Thanks.

-Phil Crow

OT learning it the hard way bug '59 VW air cooled 0 June 27th 05 09:14 PM
Hard brake pedal when cold [email protected] VW water cooled 1 June 23rd 05 11:45 PM
hard to start curbrider Jeep 7 June 6th 05 02:11 AM
Assistance needed with Spider '91 hard top Dimitris Alfa Romeo 0 September 3rd 04 02:40 PM
Clutch pedal hard to press in hot weather (Alfa 156) Steven Spits Alfa Romeo 1 July 16th 04 12:02 PM