Bring back the Brat or modernize the Wrangler

Old February 15th 05, 04:09 AM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

There are rumors of a foreign market only dual range tranny that is
floating around. Dunno if it fits newer US Soobs though.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old February 15th 05, 11:41 AM
Rob Munach

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

> There are rumors of a foreign market only dual range tranny that is
> floating around. Dunno if it fits newer US Soobs though.
>
> Carl
>

> Matt Mead wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:36:43 GMT, "Hallraker"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> That's probably true. At least off the lot, anyway. There are/were
>>> a lot
>>> of aftermarket parts and accessories designed to increase the off-road
>>> capabilities of the Brat, which were pretty good for a tiny truck
>>> that was
>>> actually a car anyway. And do not forget that the Brat had
>>> jumpseats. <g>
>>>
>>> -Matt

>> I've actually looked at a few websites that had info on off-roading
>> Subarus. Kinda interesting and they would make a unique off-roader.
>> Gearing has to be a big issue though as the tires get bigger.....
>>
>> The Brat was definately cool in its day!
>>
>> Matt
>> 99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4

I owned a 1987 BRAT for 9 years. Definitely one of the best vehicles I
have ever owned. It went off road really well although I wouldn't use it
for the Rubicon trail. It had a part-time two speed shift on the fly
transfer case with the hubs permanently locked. It also has adjustable
height torsion bars on the rear and adjustable height struts on the
front. Crap, the thing also had a gear driven cam and hydraulic lifters.
No maintenance at all. I kind of miss it. It was also was waaay better
lookin than the Baja. Mine didn't have the jump seats so the bed was
usable. I actually was able to put a Gold Wing back there.

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
Old February 15th 05, 10:55 PM
Matt Mead

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:41:06 GMT, Rob Munach >
wrote:

>I owned a 1987 BRAT for 9 years. Definitely one of the best vehicles I
>have ever owned. It went off road really well although I wouldn't use it
>for the Rubicon trail. It had a part-time two speed shift on the fly
>transfer case with the hubs permanently locked. It also has adjustable
>height torsion bars on the rear and adjustable height struts on the
>front. Crap, the thing also had a gear driven cam and hydraulic lifters.
>No maintenance at all. I kind of miss it. It was also was waaay better
>lookin than the Baja. Mine didn't have the jump seats so the bed was
>usable. I actually was able to put a Gold Wing back there.

What is the t-case ratio in low-range? I've always wondered.....

Old February 16th 05, 11:46 AM
Rob Munach

Matt Mead wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:41:06 GMT, Rob Munach >
> wrote:
>

>>I owned a 1987 BRAT for 9 years. Definitely one of the best vehicles I
>>have ever owned. It went off road really well although I wouldn't use it
>>for the Rubicon trail. It had a part-time two speed shift on the fly
>>transfer case with the hubs permanently locked. It also has adjustable
>>height torsion bars on the rear and adjustable height struts on the
>>front. Crap, the thing also had a gear driven cam and hydraulic lifters.
>>No maintenance at all. I kind of miss it. It was also was waaay better
>>lookin than the Baja. Mine didn't have the jump seats so the bed was
>>usable. I actually was able to put a Gold Wing back there.

> What is the t-case ratio in low-range? I've always wondered.....
>
> Matt
> 99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4

Don't know, but it ain't 4:1!

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
Old March 5th 05, 11:37 PM
Tim

"Bonehenge" > wrote in message
trailer out of the back yard.

> On the Cape Cod National Seashore I need 4wd low on occasion. If I
> never needed it, I'd be tempted to take the OBW out there.

drop the pressure in all four tires to about 8 psi. much better traction,
with slightly less clearance, for sand running.

Old March 6th 05, 06:58 AM

Some of the blazers, exploders etc that drive on island beach in NJ are
no more capable than an outback.

Old March 6th 05, 07:06 AM
Generic

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Some of the blazers, exploders etc that drive on island beach in NJ are
> no more capable than an outback.

Anything with full air pressure in the sand will suck. Anything with street
tires will be less than ideal.

-John