Is it Turbo Lag?

Old July 10th 04, 05:26 PM
Andy Turner

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:29:38 -0700, Byron > wrote:

>Len S. wrote:
>> I'm very judicious with my clutching. I'm not letting it slip like you
>> suggest. I usually am off the pedal asap. The same takeoff happens in
>> all the gears when the engine gets around 3000, but it is most prominent in
>> 1st gear.

>That's the way turbo lag will seem the worst, but when it spools up near
>3k rpm, the 'turbo smile' feels the best because of the dramatic difference.
>
>The fact you feel the same effect in each gear confirms it is turbo lag

Probably also means he's changing up too early. Keep it on boost!!

andyt

Old July 10th 04, 11:12 PM
Len S.

Thanks for the information.
- Len

newsioHc.1627$6B.623@fed1read06...

Old July 12th 04, 03:27 AM
Dave Lugo

Len S. wrote:
> I have been enjoying my 02 A4 Avant 1.8T 5 spd for about six weeks now. If
> I start off spirited, the car moves our alright, then at around 3k rpms it
> snaps me back into the seat, and I have to back off before I shift. I am
> guessing this is what is known as turbo lag. It's kind of an awkward
> sensation.
> Is that typical of these 1.8 T engines? I am wondering if it needs to be
> checked out. Thanks in advance.
> - Len

If you have had an 02 for only 6 weeks, this strongly implies that you
bought it used.

Could the previous owner possibly have installed an aftermarket 'chip'
for the ECU? That would certainly create more non-linear power delivery
curve than would stock tuning.

Dave Lugo LC Unit #260 TINLC
Have you hugged your firewall today? No spam, thanks.
Are you the police? . . . . No ma'am, we're sysadmins.
Old July 12th 04, 02:41 PM
Len S.

Well, I am definitely guilty of shifiting up at rpm's lower than you use
(usually around 3k) and downshift around1.8 to 2k. This car is so easy
to just go sailing way past the speed limit, so I guess I'm just being
careful, and in doing that, I am ending up shifting just before the real fun
starts. Are you sure the turbo is fully spooled that low (1950k)? I
figured the push I described in the beginning post was the point where the
turbo is fully spooled. Maybe it is just the point where the gate fully
closes and gives all the boost.
- Len

Old July 14th 04, 10:47 AM
Hairy One Kenobi

"Len S." > wrote in message
> Well, I am definitely guilty of shifiting up at rpm's lower than you use
> (usually around 3k) and downshift around1.8 to 2k. This car is so easy
> to just go sailing way past the speed limit, so I guess I'm just being
> careful, and in doing that, I am ending up shifting just before the real

fun
> starts. Are you sure the turbo is fully spooled that low (1950k)? I
> figured the push I described in the beginning post was the point where the
> turbo is fully spooled. Maybe it is just the point where the gate fully
> closes and gives all the boost.

<Much snippage>

http://tinyurl.com/33j42 shows a comparable power curve (IIRC, the TT225 has
a less peaky power curve than the 180, so the torque will be even lower) I'd
say that 3000rpm is basically just getting onto the torque curve (around
half of the rated power output of the engine..)

Quite a few rechips lower the point where the boost comes in (mine does the
opposite, which I prefer, in terms of engine response - it feels much more
like the 180 I originally test-drove. I know that this sounds odd, but a
sharper curve and higher peak power /feels/ sportier, if you're more used to
tuned normally-aspirated engines)

H1K

Old July 24th 04, 04:50 PM
Len S.

I have doubts that the car has been chipped. As far as I know, the car was
a lease return and was registered in Connecticut. Why would somebody mod
their car when it is not really theirs does not make sense.
A friend of mine has a 99 A4 and he says that his turbo kicks in at around
4k. I don't know if that even merits comparison.

I am thinking that it is just a matter of me getting acclimated to the cars
abilities and limits. It is after all just a 4 cylinder engine and it's an
avant (heavier than the sedan). To expect super performance is not
realistic. Expecting good performance is more like it. I still love the
car.

Thanks for all the responses. There's a bunch of good people in this ng.
I appreciate it.
- Len S.

Old July 27th 04, 04:08 AM
lord guy

Hi Len,

What you are experiencing is what's known as "boost onset". The turbo will
spool then begin to deliver a massive amount of air beginning a few RPMs
before making power. Turbo lag refers to how long after spooling to when
the engine really begins to make lots of power. It can occur at any RPM
point prior to loading (mashing the gas) the engine, including well above
the boost onset RPM.

What you feel is normal for a turbo car. It's the reason for "turbo smile"
and the "turbo smile" is why I will forever buy turbo cars.

-Guy
02 S4
02 WRX

"Len S." > wrote in message
> I have been enjoying my 02 A4 Avant 1.8T 5 spd for about six weeks now.

If
> I start off spirited, the car moves our alright, then at around 3k rpms it
> snaps me back into the seat, and I have to back off before I shift. I

am
> guessing this is what is known as turbo lag. It's kind of an awkward
> sensation.
> Is that typical of these 1.8 T engines? I am wondering if it needs to

be
> checked out. Thanks in advance.
> - Len

Installing turbo in 146 1.6 TS SysCold Alfa Romeo 2 January 5th 05 06:00 PM
GT JTD Turbo lag? Grahame Alfa Romeo 10 October 20th 04 07:59 PM
A3 T turbo mods big up 2 u Audi 1 June 13th 04 05:53 PM
problem with Audi a4 1.8t 1997 turbo - do i need a new one? G Audi 0 May 22nd 04 02:35 PM
Turbo on 164 if possible Yoeri Gemeen Alfa Romeo 5 May 6th 04 08:17 PM