'94 Nissan Altima - Need Timing Distributor Help

Old September 9th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default '94 Nissan Altima - Need Timing Distributor Help

Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions on how to adjust the
ignition distributor? We've been doing it by hand and ear, but our car
is still sputtering slightly at an idle. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Old September 9th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JM[_1_]

My 94 Altima had a notch on the distributor and a mark on the collar that
the distributor slides into, that when aligned set the timing correctly to
20 deg. btdc at idle (with the TPS disconnected). Your miss at idle isn't
likely to be caused by the timing being off, maybe you have a dirty egr
valve or a vacuum leak somewhere.

ups.com...

Old September 22nd 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
JustSayGo[_14_]

Useing a timing light, follow Nissan's timing instructions as JM has
perfectly described for you. Tighten your distributor down, recheck and
don't move it again.

If moisture collects in the sparkplug tubes you will get a miss-fire
rough idle and under load. You may need new sparkplugs. Inspect the
plug wires for corrosion and moisture. Inspect the hose between the
MAFS and the throttle body for proper installation and secure clamps.

Very likely you will find the problem is a vacuum leak between the
intake manifold and cylinder head around the #4 intake runner which is
very common.

--
JustSayGo
JustSayGo's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=330014