Damp Carpet in 2006 Exedition

Old July 4th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
[email protected]

Default Damp Carpet in 2006 Exedition

Anyone noticed the passenger side carpet getting damp from A/C
condensation? I know it is condensation because we have not had rain
in 12 weeks. When I pull the carpet back there are several teaspoon
sized water pockets along with damp carpet and insulation. Even the
insulation at the firewall is damp. The bottom of the air box sweats
but I have not noticed it dripping on the carpet when I put newspaper
down (i'm sure my wie would have complained of wet feet). I pulled the
carpet back and ran the a/c for an hour headed to work. I noticed when
I parked I did not get the condensation dripping on the ground as my
other cars do. Anyone know where the drain tube is? It might be plugged
and backing up into the car.

Old July 5th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
C. E. White[_1_]

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Anyone noticed the passenger side carpet getting damp from A/C
> condensation? I know it is condensation because we have not had rain
> in 12 weeks. When I pull the carpet back there are several teaspoon
> sized water pockets along with damp carpet and insulation. Even the
> insulation at the firewall is damp. The bottom of the air box sweats
> but I have not noticed it dripping on the carpet when I put newspaper
> down (i'm sure my wie would have complained of wet feet). I pulled the
> carpet back and ran the a/c for an hour headed to work. I noticed when
> I parked I did not get the condensation dripping on the ground as my
> other cars do. Anyone know where the drain tube is? It might be plugged
> and backing up into the car.

I am not sure where the drain line is on a 2006 Expedition. I suggest that
you look under the truck on the right side in the area of the firewall. It
has to be there. The drain line comes off the front right corner of the
evaporator case inside the vehicle. It has a 90 degree elbow and exits
through the firewall. It is possible the line is disconnected at the case or
at the firewall and that is the reason for the water in the vehicle (instead
of a plugged line). I've never had any problem with the drain in my 2003
Expedition. Since your truck is under warranty, it might be worth taking it
to the dealer in case the problem is a disconnected line. You may get a
better response if you join the Expedition owner's Mailing List and ask your
question to that group. See http://mail.xpog.com/mailman/listinfo/expedition
..

Regards,

Ed White

Old July 6th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Johnny V. Mullins

Hey. Both me and my brother in-law, bought nice heavy aftermarket rubber
floor mats for our pickups. He has a Toyota, I have a Dakota.
We both developed wet carpet, and we were in a summer dry spell ??
Through trial and error, we found that the cold AC air was causing
condensation on the back side of the rubber mats !!

Removal of the aftermarket mats stopped our wet carpet problem !!

Johnny

ps.com...

Old July 10th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
[email protected]

THANKS!!

Old July 10th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
[email protected]

Thought about that since the exhaust is under the passenger floorboard.
The problem is the dampness continues up behind the a/c ductwork on the
firewall. The other carpeted areas are dry under the mats. This even
happens when the passenger mat is not down.

Old July 10th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
David

wrote:
> Thought about that since the exhaust is under the passenger
> floorboard. The problem is the dampness continues up behind the a/c
> ductwork on the firewall. The other carpeted areas are dry under the
> mats. This even happens when the passenger mat is not down.
>
> Johnny V. Mullins wrote:
>> Hey. Both me and my brother in-law, bought nice heavy aftermarket
>> rubber floor mats for our pickups. He has a Toyota, I have a Dakota.
>> We both developed wet carpet, and we were in a summer dry spell ??
>> Through trial and error, we found that the cold AC air was causing
>> condensation on the back side of the rubber mats !!
>>
>> Removal of the aftermarket mats stopped our wet carpet problem !!
>>
>> Johnny
>>

>> > wrote in message
>> ps.com...
>>> Anyone noticed the passenger side carpet getting damp from A/C
>>> condensation? I know it is condensation because we have not had
>>> rain in 12 weeks. When I pull the carpet back there are several
>>> teaspoon sized water pockets along with damp carpet and insulation.
>>> Even the insulation at the firewall is damp. The bottom of the air
>>> box sweats but I have not noticed it dripping on the carpet when I
>>> put newspaper down (i'm sure my wie would have complained of wet
>>> feet). I pulled the carpet back and ran the a/c for an hour headed
>>> to work. I noticed when I parked I did not get the condensation
>>> dripping on the ground as my other cars do. Anyone know where the
>>> drain tube is? It might be plugged and backing up into the car.

I had the same problem with a Sonata I owned, it was the inlet box, vent,
ducting in front of the winscreen that was blocked from leaves and had
blocked the overflow /drainage pipe from the airconditioning system, it
would only happen if the aircon was on.
Lushy