Tire Pressure Moniotoring System Question

Old December 21st 15, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default Tire Pressure Moniotoring System Question

Hello,

Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.

Just got a dashboard icon and msg. that say to
check the Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

When I look at the individual pressures, I see that the front right is
not showing.

As the other 3 pressures do show, can I assume that it is the
transmitter in the tire that is bad,
most likely ?

Is this fairly common ? What happens to it ?

Any thoughts on would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
Old December 21st 15, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.
>
> Just got a dashboard icon and msg. that say to
> check the Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
>
> When I look at the individual pressures, I see that the front right is
> not showing.
>
> As the other 3 pressures do show, can I assume that it is the
> transmitter in the tire that is bad,
> most likely ?
>
> Is this fairly common ? What happens to it ?
>
> Any thoughts on would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

TPMS sensor. Could be a bad battery, moisture in the sensor, or
something magnetic got close to the sensor. All of them can cause a
problem.
Take it to a GOOD tire shop and see if they will test the sensor and
reset it. It may come back.

The other option is to replace the sensor.

--
Steve W.
Old December 22nd 15, 11:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

I don't trust TPMS systems. Not because of
reliability but simply because so often they
are calibrated to warn of deviation from the
cold max pressure on the tires, not what
the vehicle mfg recommends(sticker on B-
pillar of most cars). I inflate to the latter,
which is why my TPMS indicator light stays
on most of the time.