Fog Lights

Old August 24th 05, 04:17 AM
TeGGeR®

(SAC 441) wrote in news:3896-430BA0E9-1006@storefull-
3252.bay.webtv.net:

> TeGGeR® wrote:
> ----"Are you referring to HID lamps? They do not use halogen."----
>

> Reply:
> Ok,they do not use halogen ( I do not know what the acronym stands for
> by the way).

High Intensity Discharge. It's the same technology as that behind
streetlights, but with a bit of a twist that allows them to begin producing
usable light without a lengthy warm-up time.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...operation.html

They do use a metal halide arc tube, but are not halogens.

> I know them when I see them,and they are like lasers burning through my
> eyes.The light is tightly focused like a laser,and I find them
> distressing.

That's a common complaint. Apparently the NHTSA has investigated this issue
and has determined that the apparent glare is not a problem.

My understanding is that the glare you see is partly due to the
government's mandated beam cutoff pattern, probably why the NHTSA sees no
trouble (why would they condemn their own regulations?).
http://tinyurl.com/do4v2

Automakers are not free use any beam pattern they want in the US market,
and are specifically prohibited from using European-style beam patterns.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 25th 05, 03:39 PM
Michael Wojcik

In article >, "TeGGeR®" > writes:
> (Michael Wojcik) wrote in
> :
> > In article >, "TeGGeR®"
> > > writes:

(SAC 441) wrote in
> >> news:12183-430B6B7F-276@storefull- 3254.bay.webtv.net:

> >> Are you referring to HID lamps? They do not use halogen.

> > True, but many of the "blue headlights" being used in the US are
> > not HID lamps but halogens with blue-tinted bulbs, sold in auto-
> > parts chains like Auto Zone to idiots who think they look cool.

> Those are not OEM lights.

Agreed. It wasn't clear to me whether the OP was distinguishing OEM
lights from aftermarket ones, or was just complaining about head-
lights with a bluish hue in general.

> Those "blue" aftermarket bulbs are illegal for road use in North America by
> the way, since only emergency vehicles are permitted to display a blue
> light towards the front of the vehicle.
>
> It's not a police priority, but if you get pulled over for something else,
> or you catch the attention of a bored cop, you may get charged.

Well, *I* wouldn't, since I wouldn't use a bulb that emits less light
for no useful purpose, but I know what you mean. Frankly, I'd be
happy if there were more enforcement of this sort of thing.

--
Michael Wojcik

Only the obscene machine has persisted
jerky and jockeying and not knowing why
I have never existed. Nor should. -- George Barker
Old August 25th 05, 03:42 PM
Michael Wojcik

In article >, "TeGGeR®" > writes:

> According to a knowledgeable poster in rec.autos.tech, the main problem
> with the "blue" bulbs is minimum output, not specifically the blue color.
>
> The "blue" bulbs tend to have actual output (as opposed to "nominal"
> output) that's below the legal minimum.
> http://fmvss108.tripod.com/light_source_list.htm

Yep. Daniel Stern's site (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/) is
also good on this topic, and other matters related to headlights.

--
Michael Wojcik

Old August 25th 05, 05:25 PM
SAC 441

The "blue" headlights I am talking about have extremely high output,have
almost coherent light beams (but not quite, fortunately) like lasers and
tend to leave after image "spots" on my retinas.I hate them.They started
showing up on high-end cars around 2002 or 2003.
Even from 1000 feet away,when other cars headlights are in close
proximity with "normal"
white lights,you can pick out these lamps almost immediately.From my
perception,they even have "coronas" around the emanating discharge
point.