89 Suburban help..dead..

Old July 23rd 05, 02:29 AM
joe

Default 89 Suburban help..dead..

Hi..
I have an 89 Chevy Suburban that won't trun over..
I went out this morning to start it..it started right up..
I went back out this afternoon and the truck won't trun over at all.
There is power to the lights, accessories etc..
New Battery..
I got a new starter and put it in and the same thing.
Won't turn over.
I checked the fuses under the dash..all is well.
Is there any fuses I may have missed or something else?
Has me stumped.
Any help would be appreciated..
Thanks in advance..Josh

Old July 23rd 05, 03:16 AM
Shep

Get a test lite on the purple wire to the starter solenoid see if there is
power there when cranking. Make sure all the grounds are clean and tite.

Old July 23rd 05, 06:01 AM
Steve B.

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:29:21 -0700, "joe" > wrote:

>Hi..
>I have an 89 Chevy Suburban that won't trun over..
>I went out this morning to start it..it started right up..
>I went back out this afternoon and the truck won't trun over at all.
>There is power to the lights, accessories etc..
>New Battery..
>I got a new starter and put it in and the same thing.
>Won't turn over.
>I checked the fuses under the dash..all is well.
>Is there any fuses I may have missed or something else?
>Has me stumped.
>Any help would be appreciated..
>Thanks in advance..Josh

Possibly the neutral safety switch has failed. Only thing you can do
is trave the 12v signal through the circuit. Could be a bad ignition
switch, neutral safety switch or a broken wire anywhere throughout the
run (my $ is on the neutral switch). Also try starting it in neutral
to see if there is any change.

Steve B.
Old July 23rd 05, 06:26 AM
joe

I tryed starting it in nuetral..no go..
I looked at the fuses in the fuse box..all ok..
New battery and starter..all checked out..
I was wondering if there is a fuse somewhere else???
(Under dash??firewall??)
Also..do you know where the neutral switch is at?
If I recall, I could start the truck in neutral without putting in the
clutch..
And the starter would engage without the clutch engaged..(I did this once by
accident lurching it foreward..)
So I don't know if there was such a switch in it.
Is there any connections on the block or distributor that may have come
loose causing it? (Shooting in the dark..: P)
Sorry for the long post, but has me stumped..
I appreciate your replys..
I'll get to work on it again tomorrow..
I'll keep all posted on the progress if case it could help someone else.
Thanks again..Josh

Old July 23rd 05, 07:42 AM

Josh
The neutral safety switch for a newer manual trans car is under the
dash off the clutch peddle linkage. has almost the same type of setup
as the brakelight switch. check it with a multimeter or powered test
light.

Rick

Old July 23rd 05, 07:44 AM
Steve B.

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:26:43 -0700, "joe" > wrote:

>I tryed starting it in nuetral..no go..
>I looked at the fuses in the fuse box..all ok..
>New battery and starter..all checked out..
>I was wondering if there is a fuse somewhere else???
>(Under dash??firewall??)
>Also..do you know where the neutral switch is at?
>If I recall, I could start the truck in neutral without putting in the
>clutch..
>And the starter would engage without the clutch engaged..(I did this once by
>accident lurching it foreward..)
>So I don't know if there was such a switch in it.
>Is there any connections on the block or distributor that may have come
>loose causing it? (Shooting in the dark..: P)
>Sorry for the long post, but has me stumped..
>I appreciate your replys..
>I'll get to work on it again tomorrow..
>I'll keep all posted on the progress if case it could help someone else.
>Thanks again..Josh

OK.. Sounds like you have a stick shift then? I have no specific
knowledge of your vehicle so this is just general past experience info
here. On the stick shifts I have worked there is a "clutch depressed"
switch instead of the neutral safety switch an automatic would have.
Those switches were located somewhere in the neighborhood of the
clutch pedal and mechanically activated when you pushed the clutch to
the floor.

If your truck would start in gear with the clutch out before then we
know you had a problem in this circuit which makes it much more of a
suspect than some of the other things.

Make sure your new starter works. Take a remote start switch and
manually activate the solenoid to crank the engine. Not unheard of to
get a bad starter with today's rebuilds.

I can't think of any connection on the block or around the engine that
would stop the starter but still leave you with lights and acc's.
Second thing to do is check for 12v on the solenoid line. If you
don't have it find the clutch switch and see if you have it on both
sides of that. If you don't have it then go back to the ignition
switch and see if you have 12v where the line comes out there. This
can be pretty aggravating to do if you don't have the FSM to see the
actual circuit and wire colors.

I hope someone who know more about your specific vehicle comes along
soon, but this should be enough to at least help you get started I
hope.

Steve B.

Dead Battery delilalila Ford Explorer 0 March 13th 05 04:50 PM
87 TBI Suburban bog / acceleration problem Michael Vosk 4x4 8 September 29th 04 04:55 AM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM
6'x4' 6" deep roof basket safari rack for 92-99 GMC or Chevy suburban Rob 4x4 2 March 25th 04 01:10 PM