Tires: Visual Look Question ?

Old October 26th 12, 01:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default Tires: Visual Look Question ?

Hello,

Just put on a new set of Continental All Season "Pure Contact" on
a 2005 Honda Accord EX6. Size is 205/60 R16 V rated.

Tire pressures are where the car's sticker says they should be, around
32 psi.

Never had tires that looked like this.

For all 4 of them, the amount of rubber, in a radial direction, that
shows around the road contact area, is really reduced, or looks
"squished", compared to what is showing on the top of the tire.

Not quite, but really looks almost "flat". True for all four of them.
Really bothers me, as I keep thinking they are flat, but a tire p check
shows the correct pressures.

Is this common with some of these new tires, or...?

I don't think that these tires are considered "low profile".

Thanks,
Bob
Old October 26th 12, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Oct 26, 8:12*am, Bob > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just put on a new set of Continental All Season "Pure Contact" on
> a 2005 Honda Accord EX6. *Size is 205/60 R16 V rated.
>
> Tire pressures are where the car's sticker says they should be, around
> 32 psi.
>
> Never had tires that looked like this.
>
> For all 4 of them, the amount of rubber, in a radial direction, that
> shows around the road contact area, is really reduced, or looks
> "squished", compared to what is showing on the top of the tire.
>
> Not quite, but really looks almost "flat". True for all four of them.
> Really bothers me, as I keep thinking they are flat, but a tire p check
> shows the correct pressures.
>
> Is this common with some of these new tires, or...?
>
> I don't think that these tires are considered "low profile".
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Aren't you supposed to go by what your car says for psi, not what the
tire says?
Old October 26th 12, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
gpsman

On Oct 26, 10:28*am, m6onz5a > wrote:
> On Oct 26, 8:12*am, Bob > wrote:
>
> > Tire pressures are where the car's sticker says they should be, around
> > 32 psi.

> Aren't you supposed to go by what your car says for psi, not what the
> tire says?

-----

- gpsman
Old October 26th 12, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Alan Baker

In article >, Bob >
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just put on a new set of Continental All Season "Pure Contact" on
> a 2005 Honda Accord EX6. Size is 205/60 R16 V rated.
>
> Tire pressures are where the car's sticker says they should be, around
> 32 psi.
>
> Never had tires that looked like this.
>
> For all 4 of them, the amount of rubber, in a radial direction, that
> shows around the road contact area, is really reduced, or looks
> "squished", compared to what is showing on the top of the tire.
>
> Not quite, but really looks almost "flat". True for all four of them.
> Really bothers me, as I keep thinking they are flat, but a tire p check
> shows the correct pressures.
>
> Is this common with some of these new tires, or...?
>
> I don't think that these tires are considered "low profile".
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

One obvious suggestion: try a different pressure gauge.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old October 27th 12, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

Bob > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just put on a new set of Continental All Season "Pure Contact" on
> a 2005 Honda Accord EX6. Size is 205/60 R16 V rated.
>
> Tire pressures are where the car's sticker says they should be, around 32 psi.
>
> Never had tires that looked like this.
>
> For all 4 of them, the amount of rubber, in a radial direction, that
> shows around the road contact area, is really reduced, or looks
> "squished", compared to what is showing on the top of the tire.
>
> Not quite, but really looks almost "flat". True for all four of them.
> Really bothers me, as I keep thinking they are flat, but a tire p check
> shows the correct pressures.
>
> Is this common with some of these new tires, or...?
>
> I don't think that these tires are considered "low profile".
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

I would think a v rated tire should have more pressure. V's have stiffer
sidewalls, harder ride, quicker turning. What was original OEM tire?
Yesterday, 70's were considered low profile. They keep lowering, 60 , 55.
Etc.

Pictures would help.

Greg
Old October 27th 12, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX

Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just put on a new set of Continental All Season "Pure Contact" on
> a 2005 Honda Accord EX6. Size is 205/60 R16 V rated.
>
> Tire pressures are where the car's sticker says they should be, around
> 32 psi.
>
> Never had tires that looked like this.
>
> For all 4 of them, the amount of rubber, in a radial direction, that
> shows around the road contact area, is really reduced, or looks
> "squished", compared to what is showing on the top of the tire.
>
> Not quite, but really looks almost "flat". True for all four of them.
> Really bothers me, as I keep thinking they are flat, but a tire p check
> shows the correct pressures.
>
> Is this common with some of these new tires, or...?
>
> I don't think that these tires are considered "low profile".
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Good question.
My 195,15,60,H tires have done the same thing.
The tires are bulging and look flat.
I kick them almost daily to make
sure they really aren't flat.
They looked normal when new a year ago.
The car is about one inch lower now due to
tire bulge.