O2 sensor install

Old May 12th 05, 03:05 PM
HG97TJ

Default O2 sensor install

97 TJ Sport 5spd - 84K

Anyone have a writeup or link on how to install an O2 sensor? My
"Check Engine" light is on and my mechanic checked the code for me this
morning and confirmed it's coming from the O2 sensor. I see
NAPAOnline.com has them for $80 and I want to install it myself if
possible. (I need the $$$ to have my mechanic replace the cracked
exhaust manifold)

Any help is appreciated!
Howie

Old May 12th 05, 03:11 PM
IsellJeeps

unplug it and unscrew it...very simple make sure you do the right one there
are 2 one is right by the collector the other is right by the convertor

oups.com...

Old May 12th 05, 06:55 PM
Jeff Strickland

It is just like installing a spark plug. The problem - a very small
problem - is that the O2 sensor has a wire on it, so you can't use a
standard socket wrench on it because when the wire pokes through the drive
hole that the ratchet fits into. The simple solution for this problem is to
buy an O2 Sensor Wrench. It looks just like a socket, but it has a slot cut
in it to let you pull the wire to the side and fit the ratchet into the
drive hole.

oups.com...

Old May 12th 05, 08:56 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Sounds like the Oxygen Sensor is good, it's just detecting the
header leak.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 12th 05, 11:09 PM
DougW

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:
> Sounds like the Oxygen Sensor is good, it's just detecting the
> header leak.

I agree with ßill on this one. That header leak will screw up
your O2 sensor big time and it's not doing any good for your
cat or your fuel economy.

As for the manifold, it's a fairly easy DIY project with lots
of drop-in (or semi drop-in) aftermarket solutions. Having
the service manual helps because you will need the torque spec
and sequence for the manifold.

Old May 15th 05, 07:44 PM
HG97TJ

Thanks for the tips guys. I replaced the front O2 sensor and the Check
Engine light and code "21" have gone away.

Thanks again,
Howie

Old May 15th 05, 07:57 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III