air bags

Old March 31st 05, 10:20 PM
TeGGer®

"Dee" > wrote in
:

> "Marcos" > wrote in message
>> I assume that a car will not pass inspection without the air bags in

> place.
>>

> It wouldn't, but how are they going to know?

Well, they crash the car. If the bags go off, then you had working air bags
and you pass the inspection!

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 31st 05, 10:39 PM
SoCalMike

TeGGer® wrote:
> In at least some of Canada, it would pass. In the US, not at all.

in california, they dont physically check for the bags. dunno if having
an SRS light lit up would cause it to not pass the biennual emissions
test. id think not, but hey- ya never know.

a guy i know had an accident bad enough to set off the bags. he put a
friggin LCD screen in the steering wheel in place of the bag.

bling, bling, y'all!
Old March 31st 05, 11:09 PM
Abeness

SoCalMike wrote:
> a guy i know had an accident bad enough to set off the bags. he put a
> friggin LCD screen in the steering wheel in place of the bag.

Wonder what his next accident will look like, what with that screen and
all...
Old April 1st 05, 05:34 AM
Dee

****ttt....... LMAO!

Old April 1st 05, 09:42 AM
Sparky Spartacus

TeGGer® wrote:
> Sparky Spartacus > wrote in
> :
>
>>TeGGer® wrote:

>>>She had the bags in her '00 Civic stolen two months ago. They smashed
>>>a window and were gone in about a minute with both bags. How the hell
>>>did they get them out so fast? They did a lot of damage to the
>>>interior doing it, too.

>>Didn't you just answer your own question?

> Heh, seems so, doesn't it?

Seemed so to me.

>>Thieves don't "work neat"
>>(the voice of experience - I lost count on how many times my car was
>>broken into when I lived in NYC when it got up to 10-12 times, usually
>>for the radio - this was pre-airbag days for moi).

> And that's what resulted in OEM radios eventually becoming unique to a
> specific vehicle unless a code was entered.

And thank God for that, too!

> Maybe they need to do the same thing with air bags.

Do you think it's much of a cost issue?
Old April 1st 05, 09:45 AM
Sparky Spartacus

Marcos wrote:
> I wonder if the smart Honda engineers can come up with a way to prevent
> air bag theft, or at least make it NOT worth while. Much like the OEM
> radio, or perhaps etching the VIN on the air bag.

That sounds fiendishly expensive - they'd either have to be done at
final assembly (or whenever the VIN is determined) or the air bags
allocated at manufacture to a specific VIN except, of course, those
intended for aftermarket sale.
Old April 1st 05, 09:46 AM
Sparky Spartacus

halo2 guy wrote:
> air bags are not like brakes or tires. If the air bags don't work then it
> is the occupants of the vehicle that will suffer. If other safety items
> like brakes and tires, that are inspected, are not up to snuff then society
> is in danger of being hurt or killed.
>
> I am unaware of any laws requiring owners to replace air bags as needed. I
> guess they would also need laws saying that if your SRS light comes on you
> need to fix that also. As far as I know they don't. A call to the local
> MVD would probably render a correct answer.

<snort>

Let's just say I'm skeptical (not a flame, BTW).
Old April 1st 05, 09:48 AM
Sparky Spartacus

SAC 441 wrote:
> I have an idea: If the airbag or airbag well is tampered with,a small
> spray canister explodes and sprays the LITERAL scent of SKUNK (you can
> purchase this chemical) all over him.If this happened enough times to
> the thief,he just MIGHT give up....LOL

That would certainly make it really easy to ID any car whose air bags
had been stolen. Besides, who's to say everyone who smells like skunk
has stolen air bags?
Old April 1st 05, 03:42 PM
TeGGer®

Sparky Spartacus > wrote in
:

> Marcos wrote:
>> I wonder if the smart Honda engineers can come up with a way to prevent
>> air bag theft, or at least make it NOT worth while. Much like the OEM
>> radio, or perhaps etching the VIN on the air bag.

> That sounds fiendishly expensive - they'd either have to be done at
> final assembly (or whenever the VIN is determined)

Not that expensive. Cheap laser-etching marker machines are commonly
available for this purpose, both for batch-numbering and serial numbering.

They're used to mark items where the usual inkjet marking would wear off,
and they're cheaper to run than inkjets, because of the costs of
consumables.

Old April 2nd 05, 03:03 PM
Marcos

I am sure it would not be more than the amount I am paying to replace
the two stolen air bags. Would u believe $1400, just for the parts, all
out of pocket? I am sure that insurance companies would also be in favor
of VIN etching into the air bags.

Sparky Spartacus wrote:
> Marcos wrote:
>
>> I wonder if the smart Honda engineers can come up with a way to
>> prevent air bag theft, or at least make it NOT worth while. Much like
>> the OEM radio, or perhaps etching the VIN on the air bag.

> That sounds fiendishly expensive - they'd either have to be done at
> final assembly (or whenever the VIN is determined) or the air bags
> allocated at manufacture to a specific VIN except, of course, those
> intended for aftermarket sale.

How can I tell if a Durango has side air bags? [email protected] Chrysler 2 January 22nd 05 02:14 PM
How to tell if a Durango has side air bags [email protected] Jeep 5 January 19th 05 10:13 PM
Side Air Bags Perry Templeton Honda 1 September 25th 04 04:20 PM
2000 Neon Air Bags 55chevy210 Dodge 0 June 1st 04 12:51 AM