99 Sunfire lights problem

Old March 12th 05, 05:38 AM
bdeditch

So I guess my Light switch isn't working then ))

Old March 12th 05, 12:14 PM
Nate Nagel

Comboverfish wrote:

> Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>
>>Well, you're missing a few things, most notably that light is not

> measured
>
>>in amps. it's measured in candela, candlepower, lux or lumens. There

> is no
>
>>such thing as "an amp of light". That's because different ways of

> making
>
>>light have different levels of efficiency. Except for the fact that
>>they're amber and therefore introduce ambiguity into the front signal
>>system, turn signal DRLs are dandy. They produce just about the

> perfect
>
>>amount of light, distributed through just about perfect horizontal

> and
>
>>vertical angles, for an effective daytime running light without

> glare.
>

> I understand the concept of amperage, light power, and efficiency. I
> was just making a flip comment on the fact that manufacturers were
> using what roughly amounts to an 1157 for DRL purposes. I would much
> prefer series-ed high beams for the extra cost of the relays or module.
> I'm not a safety nazi but I strongly feel that low output amber light
> is significantly less noticeable in daylight than headlight style DRL
> beams.

Why? They're WAY too bright, and actually dangerous in low light
conditions. Low beams maybe but high beams, uh-uh.

Personally I think that an 1156 or 1157 would be just as effective in
the right (dedicated) housing as any kind of series-headlight scheme -
after all, the wattage is only slightly less than a pair of headlamps in
series - and you don't really *need* that much light to stand out.
Certainly not as much as headlight DRL's are putting out.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 12th 05, 05:55 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Comboverfish wrote:

> I understand the concept of amperage, light power, and efficiency.

You said "1-amp lights".

> was just making a flip comment on the fact that manufacturers were
> using what roughly amounts to an 1157 for DRL purposes.

The reason why this is dumb has nothing to do with that kind of bulb's
current draw or light output. It has to do with that kind of bulb's short
life when burned steadily.

> I would much prefer series-ed high beams for the extra cost of the
> relays or module.

Not if you understood DRLs, you wouldn't. Reduced-intensity high beam DRLs
are the least effective kind. Their horizontal angle of visibility is
extremely narrow, which essentially nullifies their effectiveness under
North American conditions, where DRLs have been shown to be effective
primarily in reducing off-axis collisions. Furthermore, even when operated
at reduced intensity, high-beam DRLs produce high levels of glare that
cause numerous negative safety consequences (turn signal masking,
encouragement of improper nighttime light use, causing other drivers to
use the "night" position on their mirror during the day, etc.). High-beam
DRLs were GM's "least possible compliance cost" solution to the Canadian
DRL mandate, and really are not very satisfactory DRLs at all.

> I'm not a safety nazi but I strongly feel that low output amber light

It's the bright turn signal filaments, not the dim parking lamps, that are
activated as DRLs.

DS
Old March 12th 05, 08:01 PM
Comboverfish

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Comboverfish wrote:
>
> > I understand the concept of amperage, light power, and efficiency.

> You said "1-amp lights".
>
> > was just making a flip comment on the fact that manufacturers were
> > using what roughly amounts to an 1157 for DRL purposes.

> The reason why this is dumb has nothing to do with that kind of

bulb's
> current draw or light output. It has to do with that kind of bulb's

short
> life when burned steadily.
>
> > I would much prefer series-ed high beams for the extra cost of the
> > relays or module.

> Not if you understood DRLs, you wouldn't. Reduced-intensity high beam

DRLs
> are the least effective kind. Their horizontal angle of visibility is
> extremely narrow, which essentially nullifies their effectiveness

under
> North American conditions, where DRLs have been shown to be effective
> primarily in reducing off-axis collisions. Furthermore, even when

operated
> at reduced intensity, high-beam DRLs produce high levels of glare

that
> cause numerous negative safety consequences (turn signal masking,
> encouragement of improper nighttime light use, causing other drivers

> use the "night" position on their mirror during the day, etc.).

High-beam
> DRLs were GM's "least possible compliance cost" solution to the

Canadian
> DRL mandate, and really are not very satisfactory DRLs at all.
>
> > I'm not a safety nazi but I strongly feel that low output amber

light

> It's the bright turn signal filaments, not the dim parking lamps,

that are
> activated as DRLs.
>
> DS

Alrighty. I'll take your word for it that turn signals are better
safetywise.

Thanks for the replies,

Toyota MDT in MO

Old March 13th 05, 03:49 PM
Ulf

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> turn signal DRLs are dandy. They produce just about the perfect
> amount of light, distributed through just about perfect horizontal and
> vertical angles, for an effective daytime running light without glare.
>
> Now if only they were white (or some color other than amber), they *would*
> be just about perfect.

Driving a car with turn signal DRL's ('97 Camaro), this is exactly what
I've been saying for *years*. Good thing DS finally admits I'm right.

> DS

Ulf
--
ulf.cc
Old March 13th 05, 11:15 PM
mic canic

the sunfires and cavbiliers are well known for headlite harness problems

Old February 27th 10, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default 99 Sunfire lights problem

On 03/11/2005 12:04 PM, Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Comboverfish wrote:
>
>>> *Full-time steady burning of the front turn signals alone

>> I'm sure you are correct, but my first thought was "you're kidding!" Is
>> there an example of a car in production that does this?

> Su
>
> Several Saturns including the Ion
> Most current-production Cadillacs
> The last Buick Century
> The last Olds Intrigue
> The current Chev/GMC full-size vans
> '96-'00 Chrysler minivans (in Canada)
> The '97-up GM minivans (Chev Venture, Pontiac Montana, Olds Silhouette,
> Saturn Relay, Buick Terrazza)
> The current Chevrolet Malibu
> Several current Toyotas (at least in Canada).

You forgot the Chevy Impala prior to 2004 or 2005ish. I know that I've
seen Corvettes with this implementation as well, although I have failed
to notice if the newest ones are like this.

I can't believe NHTSA allowed this, but then again, I can say that about
a LOT of things (high beam DRLs being a close second for stupidity.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

96 Honda Accord daylight running lights problem me Honda 2 February 18th 05 09:09 PM
electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 08:14 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 4 February 2nd 05 05:22 AM
2000 grand cherokee- weird lights problem when shut off Kirk Frei Dodge 0 August 5th 04 04:32 AM