99 Sunfire lights problem

Old March 10th 05, 01:28 PM
bdeditch

Default 99 Sunfire lights problem

A couple of weeks ago my low beams would not work. The DRL and high
beams and clearance lights all worked but no low beams. I took it to
Pep Boys and they found out that the column switch was shot. A couple
of days later, I have only high beams. No DRL, no clearance lights or
Low beams. The clearance lights do not come on until the high beams are
on. Does the column switch have to be replaced again?? Please reply to
my email with any suggestions.

Old March 10th 05, 02:22 PM
Mike Romain

Sure sounds like they put a bad one in or left the plug loose.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 10th 05, 02:23 PM
Mike Romain

Backbone wrote:

> "bdeditch" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > A couple of weeks ago my low beams would not work. The DRL and high

> Question. what is a DRL?

Daytime Running Light. Here in Canada they put the high beams on half
power and call them DRL's.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old March 10th 05, 02:31 PM
Backbone

ups.com...

Old March 10th 05, 05:50 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Backbone wrote:

> > A couple of weeks ago my low beams would not work. The DRL and high

> Question. what is a DRL?

Daytime Running Lights.
Old March 10th 05, 06:29 PM
Steve

>>Question. what is a DRL?

A method for annoying oncoming drivers.
Old March 10th 05, 06:34 PM
HLS

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
.umich.edu...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Backbone wrote:
>
> > > A couple of weeks ago my low beams would not work. The DRL and high

> > Question. what is a DRL?

> Daytime Running Lights.

You and I ran afoul of each other on a previous post regarding DRL's, and I
suspect that the semantics may have been part of the issue.

The automatic lighting systems I am used to activate low beam headlights,
sidelights, and tail lights, day or night. I refer to these as DRL's.

Does DRL mean something different to you, Daniel?

Old March 10th 05, 07:04 PM
Mike Romain

HLS wrote:

> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> .umich.edu...

> > > Question. what is a DRL?

> > Daytime Running Lights.

> You and I ran afoul of each other on a previous post regarding DRL's, and I
> suspect that the semantics may have been part of the issue.
>
> The automatic lighting systems I am used to activate low beam headlights,
> sidelights, and tail lights, day or night. I refer to these as DRL's.
>
> Does DRL mean something different to you, Daniel?

I don't know about him, but here in Canada where DRL's are mandatory on
all new vehicles, it only means the high beams on half power once the
vehicle is moving. That's it, no running, tail or dash lights are
involved and some/most don't turn on until you actually move.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old March 10th 05, 07:06 PM
Mike Romain

The more it comes up, the more failures I remember of those DRL
modules. The fail often from what I have seen and all your failures
have it in common.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 10th 05, 09:11 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, HLS wrote:

> > > Question. what is a DRL?

> > Daytime Running Lights.

> The automatic lighting systems I am used to activate low beam
> headlights, sidelights, and tail lights, day or night. I refer to these
> as DRL's. Does DRL mean something different to you, Daniel?

The answer is a little more complex than "yes" or "no".

"Daytime Running Light" means a pair of lamps on the front of the vehicle
that illuminate while the vehicle is in motion and the headlamp switch is
"off". In North America, DRLs can be any of the following:

*Reduced-intensity low beam headlamps alone

*Full-intensity low beam headlamps with parkers/markers/tails

*Full-intensity low beam headlamps alone IF the vehicle is equipped with
an Auto Headlamp Switching system that detects ambient light levels and
turns on the parkers/markers/tails when it gets dark out

*Reduced-intensity high beam headlamps alone

*Full-time steady burning of the front turn signals alone

*Front fog lamps alone (Canada only)

*Dedicated white or amber DRL lamps alone (e.g. Chev/GMC trucks and vans)

So, no, in general, an auto headlamp system is NOT the same as a DRL
system.

Note that in Canada, DRLs are required to burn until the *headlamps* are
turned on, so DRLs continue to operate when the parking lamps (only) are
switched on. In the US, on the other hand, DRLs are required to extinguish
when the parking lamps are turned on. However, this provision of the law
has not been enforced and so there are millions of noncompliant vehicles
on US roads (they comply with the Canadian "DRLs must stay on with parking
lamps" law).

96 Honda Accord daylight running lights problem me Honda 2 February 18th 05 09:09 PM
electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 08:14 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 4 February 2nd 05 05:22 AM
2000 grand cherokee- weird lights problem when shut off Kirk Frei Dodge 0 August 5th 04 04:32 AM