FORD buying majority share of Honda

Old February 10th 05, 11:22 PM
Gordon McGrew

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:57:05 GMT, (Dave) wrote:

>Wasn't the last rumor here that GM wanted to buy Honda. I'm
>assuming these are all trolls. First, Honda has always fiercely
>maintained their independence. Second, Honda's market
>capitalization is bigger than that of both GM and Ford combined
>(as of today, $48.2B vs $20.7B and $24.0B respectively). So, if
>anything, I would think it would be Honda doing the buying ;-)

And (just to put the final nail in the coffin), the last part of a car
that Honda would out source would be the engine.

If these rumors have any basis in fact, it would be Ford buying Honda
engines to put in the Focus, just like GM is buying Honda engines for
the Saturn Vue. Ford would probably love to rebadge Civics as Foci,
but I am skeptical that Honda would go for that.

Old February 11th 05, 02:08 AM
SoCalMike

Dave wrote:
> anything, I would think it would be Honda doing the buying ;-)

honda wouldnt want em.
Old February 12th 05, 06:07 AM
WaterWatcher

"hunkman" > wrote in message
om...
>I just heard that Ford Motor Company is purchasing up to 40% of all
> shares of Honda. This is not official yet, but it is in the works.
> Interesting...

Yeah, interesting that 40% is now a majority. Must be that new troll math.

WW

Old February 13th 05, 10:46 AM
RKMT

>> Ford owns: 33% Masda, all of Hertz, Volvo, Jaguar and BMW's Land Rover
>> Suv

Ford also owns Range Rover, Aston Martin (basically all the cars
displayed in the last James Bond are Ford products.)

BMW sold Land Rover, Range Rover and Jaguar the Ford Motor Company (for
10 pound sterling) when they got rid of the Rover Group. The current
Range Rover is a BMW design, the new Disco is a Ford product.)

Ford owns brand as Ford, Lincoln, Continental

>> GM owns: Saab,Opel,Vauxhall and has interests in Subaru, Suzuki, Fiat
>> and Daevoo
>> Ernie
>>

> And what do VW/Audi own?

The VAG group owns VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda. Audi owns Lamborghini.

> Mercedes?

Mercedes is a brand of the DaimlerChrysler Group.

> BMW?

BMW is ows by the Quandt family. When they sold off their assets in the
Rover Group, they kept Mini, which they rebranded MINI (all caps.)
Ironically, BMW needed their archrival's 1.6 engine from the Neon to put
it in the MINI.

> Heck, they are likely as not soon to be all one company, eh?

Not likely. Peugeot is still family owned and Renault owns Nissan (the
textbook example of what a good merger should be, as opposed to
DaimlerChrysler's,) and TVR has been bought by a 25-yr Russian
billionaire for 25 million pound sterling.

Alex
Old February 13th 05, 05:02 PM
Gordon McGrew

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:46:10 +0000, RKMT
<"alexroussel[at]internet-mail.org"> wrote:

[snip]

>Not likely. Peugeot is still family owned and Renault owns Nissan (the
>textbook example of what a good merger should be, as opposed to
>DaimlerChrysler's,) and TVR has been bought by a 25-yr Russian
>billionaire for 25 million pound sterling.
>
>Alex

And GM is paying $1.5B not to buy Fiat.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../autos_fiat_dc

My rule of thumb is that any merger will be bad for both companies in
the long run.

Old February 14th 05, 12:52 AM
Mike Smith

RKMT wrote:

>> And what do VW/Audi own?

> The VAG group owns VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda. Audi owns Lamborghini.

VAG also owns Bentley and Bugatti.

--
Mike Smith
Old February 28th 05, 05:12 AM
John Horner

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> hunkman wrote:
>> I just heard that Ford Motor Company is purchasing up to 40% of all
>> shares of Honda. This is not official yet, but it is in the works.
>> Interesting...

> Ford owns a third of Toyota and Masda, all of Volvo and Jag and

Ford does not own any of Toyota. They do own a controlling interest in
Mazda and all of Volvo and Jaguar as you said.

John