E46 Ci - Rear Tray & Folding Seats Noises

Old November 10th 04, 09:37 AM
Class 1

Default E46 Ci - Rear Tray & Folding Seats Noises

I need some advice please:
Some months ago, I went over a large bump on the highway at about 80
mph (legally I should add). This caused something to be snap/break/be
displayed somewhere around the rear shelf in my coupe.

I took it back to the dealership (they have very good mechanics btw),
who did a thorough job examining all the possible options (suspension
bushes, loose spare wheel, damaged muffler mounting etc etc). They
found and re-attached a loose piece of interior trim in the
passenger-side rear wheel well. This stopped the most obvious
'clunking' sound I used to get.

However, I still have clunking, rattling and groaning sounds coming
from both the rear-seats and what appears to be the rear window frame.

These noises occurs as the coupe body flexes slightly when you're
driving along normally along average roads. These sounds are very
temperature-specific. For instance, when it is warm outside, I get a
kind of 'clunking' sound coming from somewhere around the rear
window frame. When the weather's cold, both my rear folding seats clink
against their locks on the back tray (no it's not the seat-belt rollers
and not squeaking leather either).

I have a theory that the rear tray might have been displaced in some
way, or one of the mountings snapped. Being plastic, as the temperature
changes, this piece either grows or shrinks slightly, which would
explain the differing phenomena. I know the dealership would definitely
have a hard time replicating these occurrences and eliminating the
source, so any clear indication I could give them as in what to look
for would help.

Now, most of you guys must drive your BMWs a lot harder than I drive
mine, so I hope one of you has experienced and solved a similar
problem. I would really like to eliminate all the rattling since it
really detracts from my driving enjoyment.

Old November 11th 04, 02:13 AM
2001E46CI

Sorry guy, get used to it - crank up your HK stereo!
These cars are notorious for noises coming back from the rear area of the
cabin.
Mine ('01 330Ci), definitely has exactly the same issues you are describing.
The truth is, these cars were not designed for American roads, and there is
nothing you, or the dealer can do to fix it. Their interior simply starts
falling apart after the abuse it receives here in the States from all of the
vibrations and frame twisting due to the awful roads.
They can only put some band-aids, but in general, most of the noises will
come back after a season or two... My dealer went as far as replacing most
of the side panels on the right side of the car, only to have the problems
come back the following year.

The four-door models and the 325's without the Sports suspensions do much
better here. I would not recommend the 330's and the M3's as daily drivers,
especially if you live near a big city where the roads are unacceptable by
any standard.

oups.com...

Old November 11th 04, 02:13 AM
2001E46CI

[...]

oups.com...

Old November 11th 04, 09:21 AM
adder

"Class 1" > wrote in message roups.com>...
> These noises occurs as the coupe body flexes slightly when you're
> driving along normally along average roads. These sounds are very
> temperature-specific. For instance, when it is warm outside, I get a
> kind of 'clunking' sound coming from somewhere around the rear
> window frame. When the weather's cold, both my rear folding seats clink
> against their locks on the back tray (no it's not the seat-belt rollers
> and not squeaking leather either).

These noises are quite common - do a google search or even go to
www.m3forum.net and search there.

Rear amped speakers vitonxl Audi 1 October 17th 04 08:38 PM
156 Engine Under Tray With Air Scoop. Zathras Alfa Romeo 2 September 13th 04 08:57 PM