UK Honda Civic 1.6 VTEC 1993 - scratching noise

Old March 31st 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Matthew M \(UK\)

Default UK Honda Civic 1.6 VTEC 1993 - scratching noise

Hi,

I recently purchased a 93 Honda Civic on the very cheap end of the scale. In
general the vehical seems very good except for the following issue.

When the engine is started a scratching noise is heard, on inspection it
appears to be coming from the left side of the engine. This seems to occur
when the car is at a low speed or when the car is stationary.

I will be taking it to a mechanic next week, but i was wondering if anyone
may be able to give some ideas as to why this may be happening? What is
involved in getting repaired? Expected costs?

Thanks
Matthew

Old March 31st 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam

Matthew M (UK) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently purchased a 93 Honda Civic on the very cheap end of the scale. In
> general the vehical seems very good except for the following issue.
>
> When the engine is started a scratching noise is heard, on inspection it
> appears to be coming from the left side of the engine. This seems to occur
> when the car is at a low speed or when the car is stationary.
>
> I will be taking it to a mechanic next week, but i was wondering if anyone
> may be able to give some ideas as to why this may be happening? What is
> involved in getting repaired? Expected costs?
>
> Thanks
> Matthew

psychic diagnosis? how about a loose belt?
Old March 31st 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger

"Matthew M \(UK\)" > wrote in
:

> Hi,
>
> I recently purchased a 93 Honda Civic on the very cheap end of the
> scale. In general the vehical seems very good except for the following
> issue.
>
> When the engine is started a scratching noise is heard, on inspection
> it appears to be coming from the left side of the engine. This seems
> to occur when the car is at a low speed or when the car is stationary.
>
> I will be taking it to a mechanic next week, but i was wondering if
> anyone may be able to give some ideas as to why this may be happening?
> What is involved in getting repaired? Expected costs?

Probably a loose belt. Could the noise also be described as a "chirping"?

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old April 3rd 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Linuxiac

Matthew M (UK) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently purchased a 93 Honda Civic on the very cheap end of the scale. In
> general the vehical seems very good except for the following issue.
>
> When the engine is started a scratching noise is heard, on inspection it
> appears to be coming from the left side of the engine. This seems to occur
> when the car is at a low speed or when the car is stationary.
>
> I will be taking it to a mechanic next week, but i was wondering if anyone
> may be able to give some ideas as to why this may be happening? What is
> involved in getting repaired? Expected costs?
>
> Thanks
> Matthew

With the engine running, does the noise get louder when you gently turn
the steering wheel either direction? If so, the belt is slipping under
load, or the fluid is low in the power steering.

Is the steering fluid topped up, and the correct brand, and viscosity?
I only run Honda Power steering fluid. Everything else that is "Honda
compatable" gives me problems.
Old April 5th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
[email protected]

Brakes?
Bg

Old April 5th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
motsco_[_1_]

wrote:
> Brakes?
> Bg

Rodents ? Where's the original thread ? ? ?

'Curly'