Service memos

Old March 19th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
S/B 954RR

Default Service memos

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
>I have seen no TSBs, SSMs nor broadcast messages relating directly to
>remote starts (and I have to say that, in our area, it is odd to see any
>vehicle without a remote start).

Here is the service message they provided:

OASIS SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGE NUMBER: 19292

MESSAGE TITLE: 2006-2007 EXPLORER 4DR/MOUNTAINEER/2007 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC -
BATTERY DRAIN OVERA SHORT PERIOD OF TIME - SERVICE TIP

APPLICABLE VEHICLES:
2006-2007 TRUCK : 00070 MOUNTAINEER 00134 EXPLORER 4DR
2007 TRUCK: 00110 EXPLORER

OASIS MESSAGE:
SOME 2006-2007 EXPLORER 4DR, MOUNTAINEER, AND 2007 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC
VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT BATTERY DRAIN OVER A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME WITH THE
ENGINE OFF. PRIOR TO FOLLOWING NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS, CHECK TO SEE IF THE
VEHICLE IS WITH AN AFTERMARKET REMOTE STARTER AND/OR ALARM SYSTEM. IF THE
VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN IMPROPERLY INSTALLED SYSTEM THAT MAY BE THE
CAUSE OF THE DRAIN. TO VERIFY IF THE AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT IS THE SOURCE OF
THE DRAIN FOLLOW WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 414-00 TO CHECK FOR EXCESSIVE
AMPERAGE DRAW (50 MA/0.050 AMP OR MORE IN SLEEP MODE) BEFORE AND AFTER
DISCONNECTING THE SYSTEM. NOTE: ENGINEERING HAS CONFIRMED THAT FORD
ACCESSORY SYSTEMS WHEN PROPERLY INSTALLED, WILL NOT CAUSE A BATTERY DRAIN.
IF THE DRAIN IS FOUND TO BE CAUSED BY AN IMPROPERLY INSTALLED OR DESIGNED
AFTERMARKET SYSTEM, REPAIR IS NOT WARRANTABLE.

I had my installer contact the dealer for further info since it wasn't an
improper install. What he was told was that it is actually 2005-2007 and
the problem is that there is a gem module and prior to '05 this module would
'go to sleep' when the vehicle is off. This gem module is always awake and
sees the wiring connection and is always searching for what to do next, that
causes the drain. It isn't the starter that is the issue, it is having the
locks hooked up to the remote. He's disconnected the locks so now I will
have to keep to remotes on the key chains to operate the doors and the
starter. I wish I knew this sooner because there is a remote starter that
is cheaper and only operates the starter.

Old March 20th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Sadly, SSMs (Special Service Messages) aren't as readily searchable as are
TSBs... so I plead ignorance for missing one (or more <insert sheepish grin
here>).

The SSM they gave you is, quite naturally, going to pump up the Ford branded
remote start and give the feeling that other brands just aren't any good...
Also, pay close attention to " an improperly installed system that MAY be
the cause of the drain ". Too many techs hang their hats on TSBs and such...
if the TSB doesn't fix it - nothing will.... I say PIFFLE!!!!

For several years now, Ford hasn't connected the door lock switches directly
to the door lock actuators.... Instead, the switches command a module to
power the actuators one way or the other... On your 07, the power locks are
controlled by the SPDJB (Smart Power Distribution Jucntion Box). To have
everything function correctly, it will be necessary to wire a pair of relays
into the door switch wiring.

Older systems would have the door switches reverse polarity to the lock
actuators... These newer systems don't do that... To lock the doors, a pulse
is sent to the module down one wire... to unlock, a pulse is sent down the
other. Your installer should be able to contact the manufacture of the
remote start to get the required diagram...

Old March 20th 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
C. E. White[_1_]

"S/B 954RR" > wrote in message

> I had my installer contact the dealer for further info since it
> wasn't an improper install. What he was told was that it is
> actually 2005-2007 and the problem is that there is a gem module and
> prior to '05 this module would 'go to sleep' when the vehicle is
> off. This gem module is always awake and sees the wiring connection
> and is always searching for what to do next, that causes the drain.
> It isn't the starter that is the issue, it is having the locks
> hooked up to the remote. He's disconnected the locks so now I will
> have to keep to remotes on the key chains to operate the doors and
> the starter. I wish I knew this sooner because there is a remote
> starter that is cheaper and only operates the starter.

There is a fix. You just need to have diodes installed in the lines
connected to the lock circuits. An expert installer should know this.

Ed

Service memos - Ford Explorer Ater Market Remote Starter Damaging Battery? C. E. White[_1_] Technology 2 March 19th 08 01:19 AM
service light on a saturn what does it mean not a SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT zazspaz Saturn 5 April 7th 06 01:37 AM
99 Service light on (wrench light, not service engine soon light)..help!! oh123 Saturn 1 February 21st 06 04:49 AM
147 second service due rk Alfa Romeo 1 July 6th 05 08:35 PM
SERVICE ASR and SERVICE ABS Lights corvett620 Corvette 11 December 7th 04 08:29 PM