No early first oil change

Old May 19th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Default No early first oil change

"TomP" > wrote
> Earle and earle-like customers are the bane of the
> dealer service
> departments. They always have a strong opinion, and are
> often misinformed, and
> are typically SoB's to deal with.

And service departments never have strong opinions and are
never wrong?

Let's start with something simple, like the bull**** line
from the typical dealer that the engine oil has to be
changed every 3k miles.

Earle and I may not always agree, but Earle is one of many
contributors whose posts here I think are worth reading.

Old May 19th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

TomP wrote:

> Tegger wrote:
>
>> "Elle" > wrote in news:5xG2i.7248
>> :
>>
>>> "Earle Horton" > wrote

>>> Do you really feel that software design "engineer" denotes
>>> education, training, and experience equivalent to
>>> mechanical, electrical, chemical, and civil engineers?
>>>
>>> Just curious. I do not think one need be a bona fide
>>> engineer to have intelligent discussions on technical topics
>>> here or elsewhere.

>> True, but my point (obiquely stated) was that Honda mechanical and chemical
>> engineers came up with the directive to not perform the initial oil change
>> too soon. For us non-engineers to disregard that edict is foolish, since we
>> cannot possibly know more than Honda does.
>>
>> --
>> Tegger
>>
>> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
>> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

> Tegger knows this but for the othere he
>
> Earle and earle-like customers are the bane of the dealer service
> departments. They always have a strong opinion, and are often misinformed, and
> are typically SoB's to deal with.
>
> What they don't realize is Techincians have their own version of "spitting
> in the food"; so Earle and earle-like agitators, make trouble for the dealer,
> then try to guess where the "spit" ;-) is....

it cuts both ways dude. misinformation in the motor service industry is
the rule, not the exception. you may have been told something, and you
may even believe it, but it doesn't mean it's right. every now and
then, you /will/ get a customer that knows more than you. or who knows
someone else that knows. when the monkeylube service manager is
bull****ting my grandmother about how her transmission fluid needs
changing urgently, she simply calls me on her cellphone and hands it to
him. /i/ then politely tell him that i personally changed it last week
and that his inspection tech must have made a mistake and that i'll come
on over if there's any problem. unsurprisingly, there is no problem and
she leaves without being ripped off, but will never return. now, whose
food are you trying to spit in? from where i sit, it looks like your own.

bottom line, you need to try being a little bit smart about figuring out
the customer. if they know more than you, and you're not smart enough
to recognize that, and you go ahead and bull**** them anyway, you're
screwed. did i ever tell you that i used to date a lawyer whose first
degree was in engineering? there's a number of vehicle service centers
in san francisco that very much regret the day they tried messing with
her. grow up and get smart, before you get sore.
Old May 20th 07, 10:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

Suppose the new car was sitting on the lot for 6 months before being sold.
During such time it picked up a couple hundred miles for test drives. How
long to wait for an oil change in that case?

Old May 20th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Charlie Allnut

"Art" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> Suppose the new car was sitting on the lot for 6 months before being sold.
> During such time it picked up a couple hundred miles for test drives. How
> long to wait for an oil change in that case?

I would avoid buying that particular car. It's had too much abuse. Test
drivers do hard acceleration, stops-- etc., etc.

The ones I buy have 5 miles or less on them. My ass is the first non-Honda
or dealer to sit in that seat.

Old May 20th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Art" > wrote in
ink.net:

> Suppose the new car was sitting on the lot for 6 months before being
> sold. During such time it picked up a couple hundred miles for test
> drives. How long to wait for an oil change in that case?

Whatever it says in the time/mileage chart. Or whatever the Mileage Minder
says.

Old May 20th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_19_]

"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...
> TomP wrote:
> >
> > Tegger wrote:
> >
> >> "Elle" > wrote in news:5xG2i.7248
> >> :

> >> True, but my point (obiquely stated) was that Honda mechanical and
> >> chemical
> >> engineers came up with the directive to not perform the initial oil
> >> change
> >> too soon. For us non-engineers to disregard that edict is foolish,
> >> since we
> >> cannot possibly know more than Honda does.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Tegger
> >>
> >> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> >> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

> > Tegger knows this but for the othere he
> >
> > Earle and earle-like customers are the bane of the dealer service
> > departments. They always have a strong opinion, and are often
> > misinformed, and are typically SoB's to deal with.

It is real easy to become "misinformed" reading the service recommendations
in the owner's manual, eh?

> > What they don't realize is Techincians have their own version of
> > "spitting
> > in the food"; so Earle and earle-like agitators, make trouble for the
> > dealer,
> > then try to guess where the "spit" ;-) is....

> it cuts both ways dude. misinformation in the motor service industry is
> the rule, not the exception. you may have been told something, and you

I don't want to get personal here but I have been an auto service technician
and many, not all, only do that job because they don't have the ambition or
the ability to become something more profitable like a nurse's aide or
hairdresser. Heh, or like Tom says, a lawyer.

Saludos,

Earle

Old May 20th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

TomP wrote:

> Tegger wrote:
>
>>> Is this the Magic Mystery Break-In oil thing again?
>>>
>>> Just what is in this magic oil?
>>>

>> I do not know. However, I did read once that break-in oil is low in
>> dispersants.

> Honda factory fill oil is special only in that it is rich with
> Molybdenum disulfide ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulphide )
> assembly lubricants. Moly, as it's know to mechanics, help the rotating,
> reciprocating engine components marry into their mating parts completely.

i think that statement needs some qualification: many would consider
"marrying" to be a process like grinding in a valve with abrasive so it
seats properly. that's something MoS2 /doesn't/ do. how it works is
that, when used in assembly, it provides solid state lubrication until
oil is flowing properly. with a newly assembled engine, that's critical
since there are surface anomalies [call them microscopic "high points"]
in all the newly machined parts and metal-to-metal contact between them
would cause localized welding, galling, and rapid wear. MoS2 simply
allows these parts to slide and deform their way into conformity, or to
a more substantial degree anyway. after it's allowed the first few
non-damaging revolutions of the engine, its job is done.

> Yes, Honda factory fill oil should be left in until the oil life
> indicator gets 10% or one year, which ever comes first.
>
> Engine manufacturers go to great lengths to remove ALL machining debris,
> before assembling an engine.

indeed - this is absolutely /critical/ to engine longevity. it's
typically the major differentiator in wear life between new and
remanufactured engines. there's no real reason why a remanufactured
engine can't last just as long as the original build, but they rarely
last 30% as long. reason is hygiene after machining. microscopic grit
particles left in things like cylinder bores after re-honing get lodged
and then abrade. a wipe with an oily rag so "that looks clean enough"
just doesn't work.
Old May 26th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TomP[_1_]

You snipped the last part of the sentence..."assembly lubricants."

I could have said that better... like "from assembly lubricants."

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old May 26th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TomP[_1_]

Art wrote:

> Suppose the new car was sitting on the lot for 6 months before being sold.
> During such time it picked up a couple hundred miles for test drives. How
> long to wait for an oil change in that case?

I would still adhere to the manufacturer's recommendation of one year or <10%
oil life.
The point of having a "time limit" takes into consideration short trip driving
and lot rot.

However, you do raise a good point, 200 miles accumulated 2 or 3 miles at a
time is not good for any car at any time in its life.

--
Tp,

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

63 early build? lib Corvette 2 September 5th 05 04:18 PM
Why I won't let you in early Larry Scholnick Driving 19 February 2nd 05 07:07 PM
early ford VIN Daniel Ferguson Antique cars 3 January 28th 05 04:53 AM
oil use in early C4? Bob Courtemanche Corvette 6 December 1st 04 01:10 AM
Which cost more to maintain?? early model C4 Corvette or early model Dodge Stealth? Orc General Corvette 10 September 2nd 04 01:06 AM