Passport questions, am looking at a '97

Old April 3rd 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
KaiS.

Default Passport questions, am looking at a '97

Haven't been on this thread in a few years since selling a '91 Accord
leaving driveway strictly 'Yota. However the '86 Runner is getting long
in the tooth. While married I was content to drive the beater, keeping
her in the nice car but now its my turn.

Stopped by a few dealers Sunday (Closed in Wisconsin on the sabbath so
no vultures) and spied a very clean '97 Passport; V-6, auto, 4WD with
93kmi. Test drove it today. Comfortable, ran well except for a slight
clunk on sudden braking / acceleration. Proved to be a little play in
the tailgate tire carrier (can that be adjusted?). Carfax had nothing
to say about it and found no recalls.

According to NADA, Edmund's, and Kelly, the dealer has reduced his price
from roughly 80% over to 25-35% above the cost of an excellent condition
model (40% above my credit union's estimate.) Assuming I can get him
down from the $8K "sale" price, is there any compelling reason I
shouldn't buy this?

Consumer Reports buying guide recommends against the Passport from
'97-00, and '02, but they provide no history so what is their basis?

Did Honda not bloat up the Passport like competing makes? When was it
discontinued? In favor of what new line? Passports do not lie thick
upon the ground, so were they just not popular or total crap?

Thanks for any and all info.
Old April 3rd 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"KaiS." > wrote in news:9ehQh.24111$uo3.14671
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

> Consumer Reports buying guide recommends against the Passport from
> '97-00, and '02, but they provide no history so what is their basis?
>
> Did Honda not bloat up the Passport like competing makes?

The Passport is just a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo. It was made by Isuzu and was
based on the Isuzu pickup truck. Honda used it as a toe-dip into the SUV
waters before coming out with their own vehicles.

Check "Isuzu Rodeo" in your Consumer Reports.

I think the CR-V was Honda's first in-house SUV design.

> When was it
> discontinued?

Last year was '02.

> In favor of what new line?

The Pilot.

> Passports do not lie thick
> upon the ground, so were they just not popular or total crap?

I don't think they were particularly good sellers.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old April 3rd 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

:

>> Consumer Reports buying guide recommends against the Passport from
>> '97-00, and '02, but they provide no history so what is their basis?
>>
>> Did Honda not bloat up the Passport like competing makes?

>The Passport is just a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo. It was made by Isuzu and was
>based on the Isuzu pickup truck. Honda used it as a toe-dip into the SUV
>waters before coming out with their own vehicles.
>
>Check "Isuzu Rodeo" in your Consumer Reports.

There is a reason why Isuzu is pretty much out of business in the US.
Buy this truck and find out why.

1999 Honda Passport Questions Leisuresuite Larry Honda 1 November 8th 05 04:35 AM
PASSPORT TRANSMISSION LEAKING JJFuray Honda 7 October 24th 05 03:05 AM
97 honda passport greenpass97 4x4 0 August 7th 05 06:40 AM
Question on 99 Honda Passport R8EDXXX Honda 1 July 11th 05 11:45 AM
HELP ! 96 Passport 3.2 v6 won't start [email protected] Technology 3 March 29th 05 01:03 AM