Neon CAM seal leak.

Old November 23rd 04, 12:00 AM
High Sierra

Default Neon CAM seal leak.

My 97 Highline SOHC is in the shop for an oil leak.

Diagnosed as CAM seal. Garage tells me that a bad PVC valve can cause pressure
to build up and push this seal out. Is garage giving me the gears?
Old November 23rd 04, 12:48 AM
Delbe Comeau

Hi
I have a 96 Neon and have heard of problems in this area before;
sometimes a bad head gasket leak was mixed up with cam seal leak. PVC valve
is not expensive to replace or buy ; I have done this before as general
maintance. Good Luck!

Old November 23rd 04, 12:48 AM
Delbe Comeau

Old November 23rd 04, 12:52 AM
Geoff

"High Sierra" > wrote in message
> My 97 Highline SOHC is in the shop for an oil leak.
>
> Diagnosed as CAM seal. Garage tells me that a bad PVC valve can cause
> pressure to build up and push this seal out. Is garage giving me the
> gears?

Sounds like they want to sell you a PCV valve, not gears. :-)

PCV stands for 'positive crankcase ventilation' -- they are part of a system
that removes potentially explosive fumes from the crankcase and allows them
to be harmlessly burned off in the combustion chamber. As part of this,
they do relieve internal crankcase pressure. They're easily checked and
inexpensive to replace. It would seem to me a plausible explanation for
your troubles, although this is something I've not personally encountered.
For what a PCV valve costs (usually under $20) it's a worthwhile thing to
change as part of regular maintenance. There are also several other
components in the PCV system that need to be cleaned and/or replaced. Make
sure they do the whole job.

--Geoff

Old November 23rd 04, 12:52 AM
Geoff

Old November 23rd 04, 12:59 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Geoff wrote:

> PCV stands for 'positive crankcase ventilation' -- they are part of a system
> that removes potentially explosive fumes from the crankcase and allows them
> to be harmlessly burned off in the combustion chamber. As part of this,
> they do relieve internal crankcase pressure.

Yeah, kinda, sorta, but your causes and effects are crossed up. I'm not
sure where you got the notion that the PCV system was in place to avert
hazards created by "potentially explosive fumes in the crankcase". The
purpose of the crankcase ventillation system -- whether it is passive or
positive -- is, at base, to relieve pressure in the crankcase. Ideally,
the PCV system maintains a slight negative pressure in the crankcase. But
no, it is not to "remove potentially explosive fumes".

Old November 23rd 04, 12:59 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old November 23rd 04, 01:37 AM
Geoff

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Geoff wrote:
>
>> PCV stands for 'positive crankcase ventilation' -- they are part of a
>> system
>> that removes potentially explosive fumes from the crankcase and allows
>> them
>> to be harmlessly burned off in the combustion chamber. As part of this,
>> they do relieve internal crankcase pressure.

> Yeah, kinda, sorta, but your causes and effects are crossed up. I'm not
> sure where you got the notion that the PCV system was in place to avert
> hazards created by "potentially explosive fumes in the crankcase". The
> purpose of the crankcase ventillation system -- whether it is passive or
> positive -- is, at base, to relieve pressure in the crankcase. Ideally,
> the PCV system maintains a slight negative pressure in the crankcase. But
> no, it is not to "remove potentially explosive fumes".

I plead ignorance for good cause: 'twas the official teaching of the engine
rebuilding course I took last fall. Sorry, I don't remember the textbook
name, only that it had a pic of a Viper on the front cover. I won't argue
the point, since I've already said everything I know on the subject, but I'm
quite sure that's where I got it; I was tested on it (got an A, too.)

--Geoff

Old November 23rd 04, 01:37 AM
Geoff

Old November 23rd 04, 05:20 AM
Rick Blaine

"Geoff" > wrote in message

> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> n.umich.edu...
> > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Geoff wrote:
> >
> >> PCV stands for 'positive crankcase ventilation' -- they are part of a
> >> system
> >> that removes potentially explosive fumes from the crankcase and allows
> >> them
> >> to be harmlessly burned off in the combustion chamber. As part of

this,
> >> they do relieve internal crankcase pressure.

> > Yeah, kinda, sorta, but your causes and effects are crossed up. I'm not
> > sure where you got the notion that the PCV system was in place to avert
> > hazards created by "potentially explosive fumes in the crankcase". The
> > purpose of the crankcase ventillation system -- whether it is passive or
> > positive -- is, at base, to relieve pressure in the crankcase. Ideally,
> > the PCV system maintains a slight negative pressure in the crankcase.

But
> > no, it is not to "remove potentially explosive fumes".
> >

> I plead ignorance for good cause: 'twas the official teaching of the

engine
> rebuilding course I took last fall. Sorry, I don't remember the textbook
> name, only that it had a pic of a Viper on the front cover. I won't argue
> the point, since I've already said everything I know on the subject, but

I'm
> quite sure that's where I got it; I was tested on it (got an A, too.)
>
> --Geoff

Don't argue with Stern, he knows all, tells all, be in awe.

Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors Chrysler 1 January 23rd 05 06:01 PM
Common exhaust leak? Mike Chrysler 6 October 8th 04 02:48 PM
Durango Splitter Seal Leak? D. Bell Dodge 0 June 2nd 04 05:21 AM