Timeing belt cost/life span

Old November 22nd 04, 10:23 PM
damnnickname

Default Timeing belt cost/life span

well i work at a dealer so i wont give you a suggested price, more then
likely the water pump or idler pulley took a dump and caused the belt to
go because those belts normally go along way, i would however use oem
parts, the water pump has been updated to a better part, if you go rebuilt
you may get an old design part, im not a ford tech but i would seriously
advise getting that belt replaced on the ford, i heard some horror stories
of what happens when they break and i would hate to see you post about a
new cyl head for that

Old November 22nd 04, 10:28 PM
Mike Behnke

damnnickname wrote:

> im not a ford tech but i would seriously
> advise getting that belt replaced on the ford, i heard some horror stories
> of what happens when they break and i would hate to see you post about a
> new cyl head for that

And this NG is not about Found On Road Dead vehicles.
Old November 22nd 04, 10:28 PM
Mike Behnke

Old November 22nd 04, 10:36 PM
Mike Behnke

Zentraleinheit wrote:

> The timeing belt on my 96 Eagle Vision TSI just broke at 63700 miles.
>
> !: How much should I expect to pay (not at a dealer) to replace it. Assuming
> no other damage (fingers crossed).
>
> 2: How common is the belt to break at 63700 miles on the larger LH engines?
>
> P.S. The reason I ask is that even at 83000 my 91 Ford Taurus still has it
> orginal Timeing Belt.

IIRC, the TSi has the 3.5L, a non-interference type top end. Should not
have damaged anything.

Good time to replace the water pump, as it's driven off of the timing belt.

With the pump and tensioner, your probably looking at $250-$300.

Also a good time to have the full intake manifold gasget kit replaced
also. Common fo these develop leaks and cuase misfires. $180-$250.

Also, have the fuel rail o-ring recall done if not already performed.
Old November 22nd 04, 10:36 PM
Mike Behnke

Old November 23rd 04, 03:34 AM
Bill 2

"Zentraleinheit" > wrote in message
> The timeing belt on my 96 Eagle Vision TSI just broke at 63700 miles.
>
> !: How much should I expect to pay (not at a dealer) to replace it.

Assuming
> no other damage (fingers crossed).
>
> 2: How common is the belt to break at 63700 miles on the larger LH

engines?

> P.S. The reason I ask is that even at 83000 my 91 Ford Taurus still has it
> orginal Timeing Belt.

What engine is in your Taurus? The 3.0 Vulcan and the 3.8 Essex have chains,
not belts.

Old November 23rd 04, 03:34 AM
Bill 2

Old November 23rd 04, 08:12 PM
Zentraleinheit

Thanks for the input, as of now I have not received the cost of fixing. But,
as far as my bank account is
concerned, $1.00 is 99 cents to much!

As for the questions asked:

>Good time to replace the water pump, as it's driven off of the timing belt

The water pump was replaced in Feb. 2001 - 10 days after the extened
warrenty expired!

>Also, have the fuel rail o-ring recall done if not already performed.

That the first thing I did when I got the car in 1999, but, I have not gone
in for the Transaxle Interlock
recall.

>Also a good time to have the full intake manifold gasget kit replaced also

Is that before or after fixing the Anti-lock brakes system, struts, broken
air cleaner housing, or broken
driver seat . Or paying for the new fuel lines, tires, alignment or
themostat that I already installed this
year. :-)

> And this NG is not about Found On Road Dead vehicles.

My late cousin use to call them Fix or Repair Daily, My Late Dad just call
them F*RT's!
Yet, It has lasted the longest with most of it's orginal parts still intact.

>What engine is in your Taurus? The 3.0 Vulcan and the 3.8 Essex have

chains, not belts.

It is the 3.0 V6, however, I have never head it called the "Vulcan." Maybe
that is why it "lives long and
prospers!"

Old November 23rd 04, 08:12 PM
Zentraleinheit