2003 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3 - clunck in the front

Old November 22nd 04, 04:00 PM
cosza

Default 2003 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3 - clunck in the front

Hi
When I go over a bump or a speed bump I hear a clunking or knocking from the
front. I think it comes from the steering column. It is more evident when
you go over the speed bump with the steering wheel turned a little and this
makes the van rock more to the sides and you hear the clunck more. Any TSBs
for this, or anybody with similar experience.
Tx

Old November 22nd 04, 04:28 PM
Mike Behnke

cosza wrote:

> Hi
> When I go over a bump or a speed bump I hear a clunking or knocking from the
> front. I think it comes from the steering column. It is more evident when
> you go over the speed bump with the steering wheel turned a little and this
> makes the van rock more to the sides and you hear the clunck more. Any TSBs
> for this, or anybody with similar experience.
> Tx

Tie rod ends or ball joins immediately come to mind.
Old November 22nd 04, 04:28 PM
Mike Behnke

Old November 22nd 04, 07:05 PM
High_Density

"cosza" > wrote in message ...
> Hi
> When I go over a bump or a speed bump I hear a clunking or knocking from

the
> front. I think it comes from the steering column. It is more evident when
> you go over the speed bump with the steering wheel turned a little and

this
> makes the van rock more to the sides and you hear the clunck more. Any

TSBs
> for this, or anybody with similar experience.
> Tx

Bet on it being the sway bar bushings. A common problem. They'll replace
them under warrantee.

Old November 22nd 04, 07:05 PM
High_Density

Old November 22nd 04, 07:45 PM
maxpower

Sway bar bushings or strut links is the most common cause of that noise,
covered 3/36 and some service contracts

Old November 22nd 04, 07:45 PM
maxpower

Old November 22nd 04, 09:02 PM
cosza

I already haver changed the sway bar links. It seem ssomething coming
through the steering column. I think there is a TSB on steering but I don't
know the details.
Thanks again

Old November 22nd 04, 09:02 PM
cosza

Old November 22nd 04, 10:25 PM
maxpower

There are 2 TSB's out for a complaint like yours, 19-001-03 Pop tick Creak
sound in the column and TSB 19-006-03 Knocking sound from the lower steering
column, the sway bar bushings will give a knocking sound when turning left
and right really fast as your swaying the vehicle. or by pushing up and down
on the side, and they had revised the sway bar links again to a different
design, so you could have that problem