e36 Touring - How can I lay the wiring for the subwoofer?

Old August 1st 06, 03:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Default e36 Touring - How can I lay the wiring for the subwoofer?

Hi,

I have a e36 touring and would like to install a subwoofer in the back.

How do I route the wires from my head unit to the back? Has anyone done
this? What about power for the subwoofer at the back?

I sure hope someone knows...

Thanks a lot,

Old August 1st 06, 04:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Richard Sexton

In article . com>,
> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a e36 touring and would like to install a subwoofer in the back.
>
>How do I route the wires from my head unit to the back? Has anyone done
>this? What about power for the subwoofer at the back?

You really only have two choices - down the center console or down the
side of the car where the carpet meets the door hole.

I usually do the side, it's slightly easier than the center console.

I use 10 Ga wire for the power feeds and you have to run those as well
as signal wires. If you have a very hight power sub you might need to
run two 10 Ga wires for power. Some people connect subwoofer power
to the chassis - I don't I run ground wires back to the battery.

DO NOT forget to install a decent fuse in the power wires.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old August 1st 06, 05:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
BallroomDancer

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a e36 touring and would like to install a subwoofer in the back.
>
> How do I route the wires from my head unit to the back? Has anyone done
> this? What about power for the subwoofer at the back?
>
> I sure hope someone knows...
>
> Thanks a lot,

My E36 is a convertible, but should be similar. I ran the wiring down the
center, there was more room available. I put the subwoofer amp behind the
passenger side seat back (the original BMW amplifier for the radio system
was in a similar position on the driver side seat back). Power wiring was
run back to the battery, which is in the trunk on the passenger side. I am
not sure if the battery is also placed in the back of the vehicle on the
sedan.
I placed a 8" square subwoofer (msde by Kicker) in the space in the middle
of the back seats. My understanding is that the sedan uses this space as a
passageway so that skis can be put in the trunk and reach through between
the seats. On the convertible, this is blocked by the seat folding
mechanism, but there is a small space - a bit too small for optimum
subwoofer, but still works well.

One advantage on the convertible is that the installation is totally
invisible - less likelihood of somone doing damage to the vehicle to steal
the subwoofer if it is not visible.

Jim

Old August 3rd 06, 02:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

super, I am glad to hear that. I have bought a DIY manual for the e36
touring but it says nothing about running wires from front to back.

I guess i will try to pull apart the carpet from near the door and have
a looksee!

thanks again