Front End Alignment At 15,000 Miles ?

Old December 10th 04, 12:39 AM
Robert11

Default Front End Alignment At 15,000 Miles ?

Hi,

Would like to get your opinions on this:

Brought my 2004 Accord LX, 6 cyl in for the first 15,000 mile checkup.

The Service Mgr. at the dealership said that "they automatically do a front
end alignment on these
cars Every 15,000, as the "slightest mis-alignment causes uneven wear on the
tires, which are so expensive"

The Honda site has nothing about front end alignments at 15K
in their Service Intervals writeups for the car.

Can't hurt, I guess, but it sure sounds like a very low mileage to have
done. Also, not cheap.

Is the dealership milking me, or is it a "pretty good" idea to have done at
15K intervals ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Old December 10th 04, 12:44 AM
Elle

Are there any symptoms of the car's not steering properly?

Have you driven over any potholes or hit any curbs?

How do the tires look? Any abnormal wear (e.g. more on one side than the other)?

I would be very suspicious. I have a 1991 Civic (bought new, 159k miles) and it
has never had an alignment. No steering problems or abnormal tire wear, either.

"Robert11" > wrote

Old December 10th 04, 12:58 AM

> Is the dealership milking me, or is it a "pretty good" idea to have

done at
> 15K intervals ?

Whole, pasturized, no-hormones-added, milk.

If your tires are wearing properly (run your hand across them in
addition to a visual inspection) there is NO reason to get an
alignment.

Front drive cars have TOUGH suspensions. You generally have to whack a
curb really hard, or wreck your car, or go into a hellacious pothole to
cause any shift.

I wouldn't just laugh in their faces, I'd take my car to another dealer
that doesn't try to get away with this b.s.

JM

Old December 10th 04, 01:41 AM
John Horner

StealerShips love to add all kinds of services to the factory schedule. An
annual alignment check isn't a bad idea, and should be cheap. Normally one
year old vehicles should not need the front end aligned.

John

Old December 10th 04, 03:37 AM
SoCalMike

Robert11 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would like to get your opinions on this:
>
> Brought my 2004 Accord LX, 6 cyl in for the first 15,000 mile checkup.
>
> The Service Mgr. at the dealership said that "they automatically do a front
> end alignment on these
> cars Every 15,000, as the "slightest mis-alignment causes uneven wear on the
> tires, which are so expensive"
>
> The Honda site has nothing about front end alignments at 15K
> in their Service Intervals writeups for the car.
>
> Can't hurt, I guess, but it sure sounds like a very low mileage to have
> done. Also, not cheap.
>
> Is the dealership milking me, or is it a "pretty good" idea to have done at
> 15K intervals ?

id say youre being milked. if you *want* to do this, ask to watch while
they take the reading and compare it to what its supposed to be.
Old December 10th 04, 07:11 AM
motsco_ _

Robert11 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Would like to get your opinions on this:
>
> Brought my 2004 Accord LX, 6 cyl in for the first 15,000 mile checkup.
>
> The Service Mgr. at the dealership said that "they automatically do a front
> end alignment on these
> cars Every 15,000, as the "slightest mis-alignment causes uneven wear on the
> tires, which are so expensive"
>
> The Honda site has nothing about front end alignments at 15K
> in their Service Intervals writeups for the car.
>
> Can't hurt, I guess, but it sure sounds like a very low mileage to have
> done. Also, not cheap.
>
> Is the dealership milking me, or is it a "pretty good" idea to have done at
> 15K intervals ?
>
> Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> ========================

Moooooooooooo, Mooooooooooo

Call the BBB in your area and see if they have a long 'rap sheet'

'Curly'

Old December 10th 04, 09:12 AM
Sean Dinh

There is no limit nor guideline for mileage for front end alignment. Bad
alignment can happen at any time. Most of them come from hitting a parking
stopper or curb hard with 1 wheel, or hitting a pot hole. Mines happens when I
corner hard and hit a ridge in mid corner, due to lowered car.

If you're the only driver, and that you can account for your mistakes, and that
the tech can't find any fault with tire wear in the front tires, you shouldn't
have to deal with front end alignment. As for 'slightest mis-alignment causes
uneven wear", that is BS. I do my front end alignment with a tape measure, quite
sloppily. I don't have any problem with uneven tire wear.

Old December 10th 04, 10:43 AM
Scott Van Nest

I will agree with everyone else. But one other thing that I try to follow
is that the tires should be rotated every 7500 miles. on this schedule even
a slight out of alignment will hardly be noticeable.

Scott

Old December 10th 04, 05:19 PM
don

"Scott Van Nest" > wrote in message
>I will agree with everyone else. But one other thing that I try to follow
> is that the tires should be rotated every 7500 miles. on this schedule
> even
> a slight out of alignment will hardly be noticeable.
>
> Scott

Doing an alignment without any indication of one being needed is totally
wrong.

Scott mentions a good point about having routine tire rotation. I am quite
sure most Honda dealers do it at every 7,500 mile interval. The technician
should be examining the tires during this process. As many folks have
pointed out, poor alignment is indicated by uneven tire wear or feathering
of the tread. The latter can be easily felt by running your fingers over
the tread. Minor tire wear can be missed until the tire is off the car as
in the case of rotation.

It may be that the technician doing the 15,000 mile service noted something.
If the dealer really tried to have you get an alignment without looking at
the tires then they were absolutely wrong. If this was the case then they
should be reported both to the better business and the regional Honda
office.

Alignment? Problem john smith Corvette 4 January 22nd 05 03:07 PM
had one ... but the doors fell off peter denyer Chrysler 136 December 18th 04 07:46 PM
A6 Vertical Front End Alignment? Mark Wittry Audi 1 October 13th 04 04:13 AM