Rust on brakes in new Accord

Old January 3rd 05, 12:23 AM
Mike

Default Rust on brakes in new Accord

Hi,

I just bought a new 2005 Accord coupe EX V6 (manual transmission) and
noticed that there's rust all over the rims of the brakes as well as a
couple of other components in that area (but not on the brake surfaces
themselves). Needless to say, I'm not very happy about this. Does
anybody have any opinion on this? Is that normal or expected?
Thanks,
Mike

Old January 3rd 05, 12:33 AM
jim beam

Mike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a new 2005 Accord coupe EX V6 (manual transmission) and
> noticed that there's rust all over the rims of the brakes as well as a
> couple of other components in that area (but not on the brake surfaces
> themselves). Needless to say, I'm not very happy about this. Does
> anybody have any opinion on this? Is that normal or expected?
> Thanks,
> Mike

it's normal & expected. getting owners all wound up about it is a great
way for dealers to make money though.

in case you were wondering, brakes get hot and need to dissipate that
heat. paint doesn't help heap transfer & tends to burn off. stainless
steel doesn't conduct heat very well. so, being as disks generally wear
faster than they rust anyway, they're regarded as an expendable item.
high quality brembo disks are $30-$40 each.

Old January 3rd 05, 12:35 AM
John Ings

On 2 Jan 2005 16:23:45 -0800, "Mike" > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just bought a new 2005 Accord coupe EX V6 (manual transmission) and
>noticed that there's rust all over the rims of the brakes as well as a
>couple of other components in that area (but not on the brake surfaces
>themselves). Needless to say, I'm not very happy about this. Does
>anybody have any opinion on this? Is that normal or expected?

Yes it's normal. How could you protect the rim of a brake rotor from
rust? It can't be painted or oiled because it gets damn hot.

The rest of the brake assembly you can paint if you want to go to the
trouble. Use a high temperature paint and take care not to get any
where it's not wanted like the rotors, the pads or the exposed part of
the pistons. Most people don't bother.

Old January 3rd 05, 12:45 AM
Mike

Jim (and the others who replied),

Thank you very much. Makes a lot of sense when you put it this way.
I'm definitely calmer now, and a bit smarter

Mike

Old January 3rd 05, 05:01 AM
John Horner

"Mike" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a new 2005 Accord coupe EX V6 (manual transmission) and
> noticed that there's rust all over the rims of the brakes as well as a
> couple of other components in that area (but not on the brake surfaces
> themselves). Needless to say, I'm not very happy about this. Does
> anybody have any opinion on this? Is that normal or expected?

Sounds quite normal. The iron parts of a disk brake are open to the
elements and quickly develop surface rust.

John

Old January 3rd 05, 02:58 PM
Mike

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Mike" > wrote:
>
> > I just bought a new 2005 Accord coupe EX V6 (manual transmission)

and
> > noticed that there's rust all over the rims of the brakes as well

as a
> > couple of other components in that area (but not on the brake

surfaces
> > themselves). Needless to say, I'm not very happy about this. Does
> > anybody have any opinion on this? Is that normal or expected?

> The rotors are iron. They rust.
>
> If you let the car sit in damp conditions for a couple days, then go
> drive it with the window open, you'll hear the brakes "grind" until

the
> rust is ground off.
>
> As for the other surfaces, is that rust or is that brake pad dust?

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the other surfaces (and forgive my ignorance on their
function):
there are two components just above and behind the rear brakes. The one
towards the front of the car looks like a black cap on top of a small
metal plate, and the rim of that plate looks rusty. The other component
looks like a couple of large bolts that are connected to the
suspension, and they too have some rusty areas. Both seem to actually
be rusty rather than dusted from the brake pad, but I'm less concerned
now that I understand this is normal.

Regards,
Mike

Old January 3rd 05, 08:33 PM
gsadgr5324

On 2 Jan 2005 16:23:45 -0800, "Mike" > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just bought a new 2005 Accord coupe EX V6 (manual transmission) and
>noticed that there's rust all over the rims of the brakes as well as a
>couple of other components in that area (but not on the brake surfaces
>themselves). Needless to say, I'm not very happy about this. Does
>anybody have any opinion on this? Is that normal or expected?
>Thanks,
>Mike

That's normal. The rust will be burned off after driving a few miles.

Just leave your car outside for a few days of rain and you'll notice
the discs rusting very quickly. I noticed this when I upgraded to
alloy wheels where rust would start forming in the matter of 8 hours
of work...I'd return to my car and the discs would be covered in rust.

Old January 4th 05, 11:24 PM
John Ings

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:56:28 -0500, Alex Rodriguez >
wrote:

>>>I just bought a new 2005 Accord coupe EX V6 (manual transmission) and
>>>noticed that there's rust all over the rims of the brakes as well as a
>>>couple of other components in that area (but not on the brake surfaces
>>>themselves). Needless to say, I'm not very happy about this. Does
>>>anybody have any opinion on this? Is that normal or expected?

>>Yes it's normal. How could you protect the rim of a brake rotor from
>>rust? It can't be painted or oiled because it gets damn hot.

>Not to mention your car won't stop until the oil/paint is worn. Not a
>good thing.

No, he's not talking about the braking surface. Notice he says "the
rims of the brakes"? The rims of the rotors do get rusty pretty quick,
and would probably dissipate heat better if they didn't, but nobody
has figured out how to keep them rust free on a street machine.

Old January 5th 05, 04:55 AM
jim beam

John Ings wrote:

>>>Yes it's normal. How could you protect the rim of a brake rotor from
>>>rust? It can't be painted or oiled because it gets damn hot.

>>Not to mention your car won't stop until the oil/paint is worn. Not a
>>good thing.

> No, he's not talking about the braking surface. Notice he says "the
> rims of the brakes"? The rims of the rotors do get rusty pretty quick,
> and would probably dissipate heat better if they didn't, but nobody
> has figured out how to keep them rust free on a street machine.

it's easy to keep them free of rust - use a non-rusting material. the
trouble is increased cost and often inferior properties. so there's no
point.

'97 Accord EX Coupe Rust Analysis SmarSquid Honda 3 December 31st 04 05:23 PM
Accord rear panel rust Dean Honda 1 November 12th 04 12:36 PM
Brakes Lock and Won't Let Go, 94 Grand Voyager - Help before they get me killed. Jim Ashburn Dodge 10 July 22nd 04 02:10 AM
F.S. RUST FREE 80's BLAZER,PICKUP PARTS, in NH, ME (Military) MilitaryTruckParts 4x4 2 March 27th 04 05:49 PM