Gas Gage Problems - '99 T & C

Old November 11th 04, 06:49 AM
Frank Boettcher

Default Gas Gage Problems - '99 T & C

The gas gage on my 99 T & C is going beserk. Initially showing
partially filled on a full tank. Low fuel light and audible alarm
coming on and off when plenty of fuel in the tank.

Looking at my Haynes manual, it looks like the tank has to be dropped
to take out the fuel pump module to test/replace the gage sending
unit. Rats!
I'll do that when I get time, however the audible sending unit is
driving us crazy. Does anyone have experience in disconnecting this
alarm. My wiring diagram is less than clear, in fact does not show
the audible at all. Other than cutting the wires from the sending
unit (connector apears to be integrated with the fuel pump connector)
is there anything I can do to temporarily disconnect the alarm or
gage. I would rather just estimate fuel remaining by elapsed mileage
until I get time to replace the sending unit than listen to the
audible.

Thanks

Frank
Old November 11th 04, 07:35 AM
RPhillips47

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Frank Boettcher wrote:

> The gas gage on my 99 T & C is going beserk. Initially showing
> partially filled on a full tank. Low fuel light and audible alarm
> coming on and off when plenty of fuel in the tank.

Sounds like the fuel sending unit located on the fuel pump inside the gas tank.
Does it happen all of the time or only when the fuel is at a certain level?
This happened to the unit on my '96 T&C LXi. When the tank was full no problem
but when the gauge was between 7/8 and 5/8 it would happen sporadically when it
first started and more often as time went on. Then it would stop for a period
of time, then begin again. Asked the service rep at the local Dodge dealer
(that had serviced the van as we lost confidence in our local Chrysler dealer)
and he said there courtesy van had been doing the same thing for sometime and
they were not going to fix it until they had to. I learned to live with the
needle/chime going berserk by turning up the stereo when driving.

We drove the T&C for almost two years until the whole unit went south, when I
was driving it, on the way home from work, on the freeway, at 5:30 on a Friday
afternoon/evening. Had the unit replaced (almost a year ago) and all has been
fine since.

RP

Old November 11th 04, 07:35 AM
RPhillips47

Old November 11th 04, 12:04 PM
Frank Boettcher

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:10:45 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Frank Boettcher wrote:
>
>> The gas gage on my 99 T & C is going beserk. Initially showing
>> partially filled on a full tank. Low fuel light and audible alarm
>> coming on and off when plenty of fuel in the tank.

>Where are you located and what brand of gasoline do you use? These
>symptoms were very common especially on Chrysler products with Shell
>gasolines sold in several regions of Canada.

Mississippi; Shell regular. So you are not going to suggest I can
fix this by changing gasoline brands are you?

>> Looking at my Haynes manual,

>Bzzt.
>
>Instructions for proper use of a Haynes manual he
>
>http://u225.torque.net/haynes_instructions.html

Now that's funny! However, I was thinking about using the pages in my
updraft charcoal starter for my grill. The paper haynes uses is so
cheap I'm sure it burns great.

>> I'll do that when I get time, however the audible sending unit is
>> driving us crazy. Does anyone have experience in disconnecting this
>> alarm.

>Can't readily be done -- the chime is controlled by the BCM and is
>thoroughly integrated.

So looks like I cut the wire. Haynes says dark blue from level sender
to control module. Wonder if I can trust that...............

Old November 11th 04, 12:04 PM
Frank Boettcher

Old November 15th 04, 07:14 PM
maxpower

I tried it with a car at work, there is no setting for that, you would have
to replace the sending unit
"Frank Boettcher" > wrote in message
> There is no Customer Preference reference in my owners manual
>
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:35:47 -0500, "maxpower" >
> wrote:
>
> >Im not sure but i will try and check tommorro when i go into the shop, it
> >may be possible that you may be able to turn that off thru the BCM

under
> >cust preferences, look in your owners manual and see what it says about

cust

Old November 15th 04, 07:14 PM
maxpower

Old November 16th 04, 06:22 AM
Frank Boettcher

Old November 16th 04, 06:22 AM
Frank Boettcher

Old November 17th 04, 09:56 AM
Frank Boettcher

Thanks for trying, I appreciate it. I've noticed that it doesn't seem
to be as bad if I keep the tank less than half full. Will do that
until I have time to drop the tank and change the sender.