96 Town & Country tranny fluid issues

Old November 9th 04, 04:07 AM
99trooper

Default 96 Town & Country tranny fluid issues

This past July I had my tranny fluid "t-tech" flushed by a quick lube place
(132k miles). It was the first time I had the vehicle serviced for trans
fluid since I bought it with 83k on it so I figured it was time (no
problems otherwise).

Last week my wife calls me up and says the transmission appears to be
slipping (now has 137k on it)...Hmm a mere coincidence, or problems with
the flush? I did a test drive, It did appear to not accelerate like it
sould when you "punched" it and did have an ever so slight chatter at
times at shifts.

So I did some checking...The manual says you should use Mopar brand (blah
blah) / or ATF +3... if neither are available use Dexron 3, but may cause
problems in the future ( when, like the side of the road?) Anyway, I read
that there had been a TSB issued by Chrysler that says that you should not
even use Dexron 3, as it can cause slippage etc.

So I call the place that did the fluid change in July and had them check
to see what they used in my vehicle... lo and behold... DEXRON 2?!?! not
even 3 May be he mis-spoke, but I told him about the book stating the use
of ATF +3 and also the TSB from Chrysler and he fully agreed, he didn't
even really hesitate about it, said bring it right it, in fact as soon as
possible, we will take care of it. So I brought it in this evening. They
had to get ATF +3 from NAPA (Quaker State Brand) didn't charge me for it,
but at least they did admit that they did have the wrong stuff in there.
I did them write something up saying that they did do this too.

They wrote: at 132K replaced trans fluid with Dexron and used Lube Guard
to enhance the fluid to Mopar +3. At 137K flushed trans fluid and used
ATF +3. Since when does an additive make Dexron the same as ATF +3? They
did want to add the same additive again with the ATF +3... I told them no,
just plain +3 is fine since Dexron 3 claims to be universal as well, I
didn't want that one bottle screwing up the whole thing.

So now it does seem to shift better (a bit stiff at the moment), but at
least doesn't appear to slip or chatter. any further action on my part
needed?

Old November 9th 04, 05:44 AM
cloaked

Just do a google on this newsgroup and you will find all kinds of
discussion about tranny fluid.

The long and the short of it is - use what Chrysler specifies and you
wont have any problems.

Use something else and takes yer chances!

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 22:07:25 -0500, "99trooper"

Old November 9th 04, 05:44 AM
cloaked

Old November 9th 04, 01:08 PM
Richard

Only use ATF +3 with no additive!!!!!!

Richard.

Old November 9th 04, 01:08 PM
Richard

Old November 9th 04, 03:15 PM
Bob Shuman

Actually ATF+4 (new synthetic formulation that is superior in all regards)
is the best choice, but ATF+3 (which is what it came with new) is also
perfectly acceptable as well. BTW, the ATF+3 (which is available at most
auto parts stores in vendor labeled product) costs about 1/3 to 1/4 of the
ATF+4 (which is still only available to my knowledge from Chrysler dealers).

Never, ever use anything but ATF+4 or ATF+3 (which, also btw, can be mixed).
You are absolutely correct that the lubeguard additive does not change
Dexron into Mopar type ATF. Also good that the trans shop recognized their
error and flushed the trans for you. This says that they are reputable, but
that said, they never should have made the error in the first place.

Regarding what you need to do now, if they did actually get all of the
Dexron out as they say, you should be good for 30K miles. If not, It
probably would not hurt to change the fluid again after 6-12K miles to make
sure it is still performing well. Lastly, you were not clear on if they
actually dropped the trans pan and changed the filter or just did the (all
too common) "power flush" using the trans cooler lines and a special
machine. I ask this since the pan really should be dropped and cleaned
properly since a lot of the clutch material ends up forming a "sludge like
gunk" in the bottom of the pan. Also, the magnet needs to be cleaned to
remove the small metal filings it has collected, and as mentioned earlier,
the filter should be replaced too. The only way to do this is to drop the
pan, which is a pretty simple job on that vehicle since all the pan bolts
are easily accessible. The biggest problem is the fact there is no drain
plug and that when you break the pan free, it causes a bit of a mess. Last
comment, if you do drop the pan, scrape off all the RTV gasket sealer
material and then purchase a multiple use (I think it can be re-used three
times) silicone metal gasket from the Chrysler dealer as this will make the
job easier next time around.

Good luck

Bob

Old November 9th 04, 03:15 PM
Bob Shuman

Old November 9th 04, 07:13 PM
Cloaked

Another reason to drop the pan is that the filter has to be changed.

The magnet in the pan is only good for bits of iron or steel based
composition! There are - if I am not mistaken - some aluminum parts in
this transmission! If the filter either gets cloged or misses some of
those little aluminum nasties, then your trans life will likely be
shortened!

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:15:32 -0600, "Bob Shuman"
> wrote:

>Actually ATF+4 (new synthetic formulation that is superior in all regards)
>is the best choice, but ATF+3 (which is what it came with new) is also
>perfectly acceptable as well. BTW, the ATF+3 (which is available at most
>auto parts stores in vendor labeled product) costs about 1/3 to 1/4 of the
>ATF+4 (which is still only available to my knowledge from Chrysler dealers).
>
>Never, ever use anything but ATF+4 or ATF+3 (which, also btw, can be mixed).
>You are absolutely correct that the lubeguard additive does not change
>Dexron into Mopar type ATF. Also good that the trans shop recognized their
>error and flushed the trans for you. This says that they are reputable, but
>that said, they never should have made the error in the first place.
>
>Regarding what you need to do now, if they did actually get all of the
>Dexron out as they say, you should be good for 30K miles. If not, It
>probably would not hurt to change the fluid again after 6-12K miles to make
>sure it is still performing well. Lastly, you were not clear on if they
>actually dropped the trans pan and changed the filter or just did the (all
>too common) "power flush" using the trans cooler lines and a special
>machine. I ask this since the pan really should be dropped and cleaned
>properly since a lot of the clutch material ends up forming a "sludge like
>gunk" in the bottom of the pan. Also, the magnet needs to be cleaned to
>remove the small metal filings it has collected, and as mentioned earlier,
>the filter should be replaced too. The only way to do this is to drop the
>pan, which is a pretty simple job on that vehicle since all the pan bolts
>are easily accessible. The biggest problem is the fact there is no drain
>plug and that when you break the pan free, it causes a bit of a mess. Last
>comment, if you do drop the pan, scrape off all the RTV gasket sealer
>material and then purchase a multiple use (I think it can be re-used three
>times) silicone metal gasket from the Chrysler dealer as this will make the
>job easier next time around.
>
>Good luck
>
> Bob

.. .

Old November 9th 04, 07:13 PM
Cloaked

Another reason to drop the pan is that the filter has to be changed.

The magnet in the pan is only good for bits of iron or steel based
composition! There are - if I am not mistaken - some aluminum parts in
this transmission! If the filter either gets cloged or misses some of
those little aluminum nasties, then your trans life will likely be
shortened!

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:15:32 -0600, "Bob Shuman"
> wrote:

>Actually ATF+4 (new synthetic formulation that is superior in all regards)
>is the best choice, but ATF+3 (which is what it came with new) is also
>perfectly acceptable as well. BTW, the ATF+3 (which is available at most
>auto parts stores in vendor labeled product) costs about 1/3 to 1/4 of the
>ATF+4 (which is still only available to my knowledge from Chrysler dealers).
>
>Never, ever use anything but ATF+4 or ATF+3 (which, also btw, can be mixed).
>You are absolutely correct that the lubeguard additive does not change
>Dexron into Mopar type ATF. Also good that the trans shop recognized their
>error and flushed the trans for you. This says that they are reputable, but
>that said, they never should have made the error in the first place.
>
>Regarding what you need to do now, if they did actually get all of the
>Dexron out as they say, you should be good for 30K miles. If not, It
>probably would not hurt to change the fluid again after 6-12K miles to make
>sure it is still performing well. Lastly, you were not clear on if they
>actually dropped the trans pan and changed the filter or just did the (all
>too common) "power flush" using the trans cooler lines and a special
>machine. I ask this since the pan really should be dropped and cleaned
>properly since a lot of the clutch material ends up forming a "sludge like
>gunk" in the bottom of the pan. Also, the magnet needs to be cleaned to
>remove the small metal filings it has collected, and as mentioned earlier,
>the filter should be replaced too. The only way to do this is to drop the
>pan, which is a pretty simple job on that vehicle since all the pan bolts
>are easily accessible. The biggest problem is the fact there is no drain
>plug and that when you break the pan free, it causes a bit of a mess. Last
>comment, if you do drop the pan, scrape off all the RTV gasket sealer
>material and then purchase a multiple use (I think it can be re-used three
>times) silicone metal gasket from the Chrysler dealer as this will make the
>job easier next time around.
>
>Good luck
>
> Bob

.. .

Old November 9th 04, 08:56 PM
99trooper

Thanks for the follow-ups. I did read something on ALLPAR.com about
syphoning out the tranny fluid by shoving a plastic tube down the
dip-stick tube. I will try to drain that way first then pull the pan
(less mess). I would rather be safe than sorry.

When they showed me the fluid level last night, it was on the bottom of
the stick on the "warm" level- only should have been at the hot by that
point. The guy asked me if I wanted him to add some of the stuff from the
machine (I assume it is the Dextron 3 they just pulled out)- Uh no thanks!
I figured I was at least a quart low and would pick up some fluid after
work today. My wife said on her way to droping the kids off at her
parents before her work, it was slipping again (put in drive and wont go
anywhere until 4k RPM). She left the car at her parents (2 miles from our
house) and I had her dad check the level. He said it was at the bottom of
the dipstick (I guess I was low on my estimations). I suspect it will be
ok when I add to the correct level... if it isn't.. the quick lube just
bought me a new trans rebuild!

Neon auto tranny fluid mike Chrysler 12 November 4th 04 03:55 PM
Tranny Fluid replacement in 92 Caravan Wesley Dodge 8 July 22nd 04 01:03 PM
2004 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Bob Dodge 5 April 25th 04 03:47 AM