Cougar Ace update - No cars to be sold as new

Old September 13th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Cougar Ace update - No cars to be sold as new

Anyone ready for a discount Mazda?

Posted on a local list:

Mazda News Release: September 12, 2006

No Mazda Vehicles on Car-Carrying Vessel Cougar Ace will be Sold as
New Vehicles

HIROSHIMA, Japan-- Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today
announced that the Mazda vehicles aboard the car-carrying vessel,
Cougar Ace, which ran into trouble on July 23, 2006, off the Alaskan
coast, resulting in her listing some 60-plus degrees, will not be
sold as new vehicles.

"While we do not, at this time, know the full extent of the damage to
vehicles on board, none of the Mazdas will be sold as new", said Jim
O'Sullivan, president and CEO of MNAO. "Those beyond repair will be
immediately scrapped. It is possible that those vehicles which are
repairable would be made available for sale as used cars through
Mazda's dealer network in the U.S. and Canada. We will only be in a
position to decide on any used car sales once the vessel has been
unloaded and each unit comprehensively inspected."

"In the interests of transparency and customer peace of mind, we will
post a listing of all vehicle identification numbers (VINs) on our
consumer Websites, www.MazdaUSA. com and www.mazda.ca so that there is
no confusion as to which vehicles were on the ship," stated O'Sullivan.

The Cougar Ace sailed from Japan to North America with just over
4,700 Canadian- and U.S-bound Mazdas aboard. She became stricken when
an issue during a routine ballast-water change caused her to list.
Thanks to heroic efforts of the U.S. Coast Guard, all 23 crew members
were transferred from the ship within hours.

After the ship was stabilized, she was towed by her owners to
sheltered waters in Dutch Harbor, Alaska, where she was returned to
an even keel. She is currently under tow to the Port of Portland,
Ore., where she is expected to arrive on September 12 (the same date
in local time). Upon arrival, her cargo will be further evaluated and
unloaded.

Pat

Old September 13th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Congrats to Mazda USA! I'm once again impressed.

Chris
99BBB

Old September 16th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

I'll bet that some of the dealers will sell them as "demo's"
Unless state law prevents it.

Old September 17th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

My bet would be that Mazda USA, since they've made this statement, will be
the ones to decide how they'll be referred to / sold. Demo's would be a
possibility though.

Chris
99BBB

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> I'll bet that some of the dealers will sell them as "demo's"
> Unless state law prevents it.
>

> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
>> Congrats to Mazda USA! I'm once again impressed.
>>
>> Chris
>> 99BBB
>>
>> "pws" > wrote in message
>> > Anyone ready for a discount Mazda?
>> >
>> > Posted on a local list:
>> >

>> > Mazda News Release: September 12, 2006
>> >
>> > No Mazda Vehicles on Car-Carrying Vessel Cougar Ace will be Sold as
>> > New Vehicles
>> >
>> > HIROSHIMA, Japan-- Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today
>> > announced that the Mazda vehicles aboard the car-carrying vessel,
>> > Cougar Ace, which ran into trouble on July 23, 2006, off the Alaskan
>> > coast, resulting in her listing some 60-plus degrees, will not be
>> > sold as new vehicles.
>> >
>> > "While we do not, at this time, know the full extent of the damage to
>> > vehicles on board, none of the Mazdas will be sold as new", said Jim
>> > O'Sullivan, president and CEO of MNAO. "Those beyond repair will be
>> > immediately scrapped. It is possible that those vehicles which are
>> > repairable would be made available for sale as used cars through
>> > Mazda's dealer network in the U.S. and Canada. We will only be in a
>> > position to decide on any used car sales once the vessel has been
>> > unloaded and each unit comprehensively inspected."
>> >
>> > "In the interests of transparency and customer peace of mind, we will
>> > post a listing of all vehicle identification numbers (VINs) on our
>> > consumer Websites, www.MazdaUSA. com and www.mazda.ca so that there is
>> > no confusion as to which vehicles were on the ship," stated O'Sullivan.
>> >
>> > The Cougar Ace sailed from Japan to North America with just over
>> > 4,700 Canadian- and U.S-bound Mazdas aboard. She became stricken when
>> > an issue during a routine ballast-water change caused her to list.
>> > Thanks to heroic efforts of the U.S. Coast Guard, all 23 crew members
>> > were transferred from the ship within hours.
>> >
>> > After the ship was stabilized, she was towed by her owners to
>> > sheltered waters in Dutch Harbor, Alaska, where she was returned to
>> > an even keel. She is currently under tow to the Port of Portland,
>> > Ore., where she is expected to arrive on September 12 (the same date
>> > in local time). Upon arrival, her cargo will be further evaluated and
>> > unloaded.
>> >

>> > Pat

rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 0 September 8th 06 05:56 AM
Cougar Ace: "most cars salvageable" Dana H. Myers Mazda 10 September 5th 06 10:28 PM
Dealing with Flood Cars Big Earl Audi 0 October 4th 05 12:02 AM
YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 93 April 21st 05 10:34 AM
European Cars Least Reliable Richard Schulman VW water cooled 3 November 11th 04 10:41 AM