Broken water pump bolts

Old June 19th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Broken water pump bolts

When trying to replace the water pump on my 92 lx 5.0 I managed to
break 3 of the bolts, 2 of which are deep inside the timing chain
cover.

These bolts are pretty long, and its hard to tell if they pass through
the timing chain cover and thread into the block itself, or if they
thread into the cover.

I would like to buy a new timing chain cover and new bolts, rather than
try to bore out the broken bolts. Do any of the water pump bolts go
into the block? If so then this solution won't work (although with the
cover off the bolts would stick out and maybe I can unscrew them with a
vise grip or something).

thanks

Old June 20th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Yes. Some of the bolts go all the way thru the cover.
I think there are 4. They are the ones at the extreme left and right. They
are above and below the water exit passages to each bank of cylinders.

ups.com...

Old June 20th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Usually, these bolts will corrode into the aluminum of the front cover -
*usually*.... You shoul dbe able to get the front cover off and the
reaminder of the bolts should come out fairly easily....

Inexperience has cost the original poster a good deal of frustration.....
try to avoid having it cost too much money...

Old June 25th 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 03:56:17 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>Usually, these bolts will corrode into the aluminum of the front cover -
>*usually*.... You shoul dbe able to get the front cover off and the
>reaminder of the bolts should come out fairly easily....
>
>Inexperience has cost the original poster a good deal of frustration.....
>try to avoid having it cost too much money...

What could have been done that would have avoided the bolts snapping
off?
Old June 25th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 00:04:17 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
wrote:

>What could have been done that would have avoided the bolts snapping
>off?

I put "Neversieze" on my bolts when reassembling parts. If the bolt in
question needs to have a locking compound on it then I use the
locktite on the last 4 or 5 threads and neversieze the remainder of
the bolt.

...Ron
--
68'RS Camaro
88'Formula
Old June 28th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 13:39:50 GMT, RSCamaro >
wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 00:04:17 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
>wrote:
>

>>What could have been done that would have avoided the bolts snapping
>>off?

>I put "Neversieze" on my bolts when reassembling parts. If the bolt in
>question needs to have a locking compound on it then I use the
>locktite on the last 4 or 5 threads and neversieze the remainder of
>the bolt.
>
> ...Ron

I didn't think the original poster was the person who put the pump on.
He was just the person taking it off.

740i /93 Electric Water Pump problem jp BMW 1 April 24th 06 05:14 PM
258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Timing belt / water pump mpet500 Honda 15 March 16th 05 04:18 PM
Preventative Water Pump Replacement on 1.8T Engine? Don Borowski Audi 3 June 14th 04 03:49 PM