Relieving Fuel System Pressure Ford Ranger

Old April 23rd 06, 01:06 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.ford.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos

Default Relieving Fuel System Pressure Ford Ranger

This is from http://www.chiltonlibrary.com (requires a library card
number to get in) section on Ford Ranger 2000-2003:

"Relieving Fuel System Pressure
All Sequential Fuel Injection (SFI) fuel injected engines are equipped
with a pressure relief valve located on the fuel supply manifold.
Remove the fuel tank cap and attach fuel pressure gauge T80L-9974-B, to
the valve to release the fuel pressure. Be sure to drain the fuel into
a suitable container and to avoid gasoline spillage. If a pressure
gauge is not available, disconnect the vacuum hose from the fuel
pressure regulator and attach a hand-held vacuum pump. Apply about 25
in. Hg (84 kPa) of vacuum to the regulator to vent the fuel system
pressure into the fuel tank through the fuel return hose. Note that
this procedure will remove the fuel pressure from the lines, but not
the fuel. Take precautions to avoid the risk of fire and use clean rags
to soak up any spilled fuel when the lines are disconnected.
An alternate method of relieving the fuel system pressure involves
disconnecting the inertia switch."

In the job I'm doing this doesn't apply (I didn't have any pressure),
but I'm wondering about it, the last sentence in particular. What does
the inertia switch have to do with relieving fuel system pressure?
Isn't the inertia switch electrical?

--
(||) Nehmo (||)

Old April 23rd 06, 01:23 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.ford.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos

Yes, but if the pump isn't running, it cannot pump any fuel into the lines.
Remember, if the inertia switch is activated or the electrical connection is
disconnected, the fuel pump will not run. When you change your fuel filter
on the truck, the first thing you have to do is relieve the fuel pressure
from the lines. This is easily done by disconnecting the electrical
connection from the inertia switch and then turning the key to start the
truck. Since the pump will not come on, the truck will stall out once the
fuel left in the line burns off. The fuel lines will have no pressure in
them and then it is safe to remove the fuel filter.

Otherwise, if you didn't relieve the pressure, when you unhooked the line
from the filter, there is a very good chance you would end up being sprayed
with fuel from the pressurized line. Not a good thing, especially if you
happen to have a trouble-light under the truck with you.

Sharky

Old April 23rd 06, 03:42 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.ford.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos

And that is why the smart monkey uses a flourescent trouble light....

Old April 23rd 06, 07:17 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.ford.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos

Jim Warman wrote:
> And that is why the smart monkey uses a flourescent trouble light....

Goodun' Jim. I've started using screw in fluorescents in all of my old fashioned
"trouble lights". Does that count?
Facetiousness aside,I have both. One fluoro tube ~12" and one cage style with a
fluoro screw in. The screw in bulbs work great and aren't near as fragile as even
"rough service" bulbs. It's been in there almost a year.

Am I at least a smart(er) monkey?
Old April 23rd 06, 07:23 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.ford.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos

Tom Adkins wrote:
> Jim Warman wrote:
> > And that is why the smart monkey uses a flourescent trouble light....
> >

> Goodun' Jim. I've started using screw in fluorescents in all of my old fashioned
> "trouble lights". Does that count?
> Facetiousness aside,I have both. One fluoro tube ~12" and one cage style with a
> fluoro screw in. The screw in bulbs work great and aren't near as fragile as even
> "rough service" bulbs. It's been in there almost a year.
>
> Am I at least a smart(er) monkey?

=========
=========

I bought one of those fluoro screw ins for my drop light at the shop.

I dropped it.
It broke.
It was about $4 best I remember.

I own Snap-Ons dual flourescent drop light.
I keep breaking those too.
They're about $6 apiece.

I'm hell on drop lights.

I carried my Snap-On home.
Have'nt broken the bulbs yet.

I went back to regular ole "rough service" 75wt'rs in my shop drop
lights.
Still breaking 4 or so a week. But, the price is much lower.
Though the lighting is no where near as good as the flourescent.

any whoooo......
that's my rant.

~:~
Marsh
~sips his crownroyal~

Old April 23rd 06, 08:37 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.ford.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos

Marshal Monster wrote:
> Tom Adkins wrote:
>
>>Jim Warman wrote:
>>
>>>And that is why the smart monkey uses a flourescent trouble light....
>>>

>> Goodun' Jim. I've started using screw in fluorescents in all of my old fashioned
>>"trouble lights". Does that count?
>> Facetiousness aside,I have both. One fluoro tube ~12" and one cage style with a
>>fluoro screw in. The screw in bulbs work great and aren't near as fragile as even
>>"rough service" bulbs. It's been in there almost a year.
>>
>>Am I at least a smart(er) monkey?

> =========
> =========
>
> I bought one of those fluoro screw ins for my drop light at the shop.
>
> I dropped it.
> It broke.
> It was about $4 best I remember.

Hmm. I put one in mine (on the suggestion of my 14 year old son as a "maybe") and
it's lasted about 12 months so far. Used to go through a "rough service bulb" at least
once a week or so. If the cage is bent and contacting the bulb from the get go... maybe?
Old April 23rd 06, 07:23 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.ford.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos

Default Relieving Fuel System Pressure-----<< O T >>.........

Tom Adkins wrote:
> Marshal Monster wrote:
> >
> > I bought one of those fluoro screw ins for my drop light at the shop.
> >
> > I dropped it.
> > It broke.
> > It was about $4 best I remember.
> >

> Hmm. I put one in mine (on the suggestion of my 14 year old son as a "maybe") and
> it's lasted about 12 months so far. Used to go through a "rough service bulb" at least
> once a week or so. If the cage is bent and contacting the bulb from the get go... maybe?

======
======

I use the metal caged lights, it's just a hardheaded "what I'm used to"
thing.

And yes, that's the primary reason I go through so many bulbs.

But, in my defense, I'm rugged on a drop light. Keep in mind that
EVERY vehical
I work on is getting the use of it because I work underneath most of
the time
on trannies. (cept'n fwd cars, then 1/2 the time is underthehood)

I'm not curtious on a drop light and I'm constantly shoving it, jamming
it,
lodging it, into areas it reeeellly ought not be put in if you want one
to stay like new. But, it makes my job easier when I can see the
hidden
brackets, bolts, and wires that the OE's like to hide nowadays.
My SnapOn just doesn't tend to want to go places that I can shove
that old school unit into. (without voiding the warranty lol)

Any whooo...
In the past I tried keeping replacement cages on hand for when I
fubarred it too bad. But, that was years ago. I've learned to deal
with the cost of the bulbs and about once a year I cut the end off
the one I'm using, make into a dropcord, and buy me another
disposable (lol) droplight.

I'm working on 15-20 cars a week........
shoving droplights in areas that they shouldn't go.......
well....it speeds things up a bit.
To me, the cost is negligable.

akin to using Charmin,
or dollor store toilet paper.
I'm willing to pay the cost.

lmao

~:~
marsh
~:~

258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
98 concorde starting problems xmirage2kx Chrysler 90 August 21st 05 04:32 AM
warman i am surprised you mix oil [email protected] Ford Mustang 5 May 8th 05 04:04 AM
YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 93 April 21st 05 10:34 AM
90 spirit won't run Faulguys Chrysler 80 December 9th 04 11:41 PM