Mystery *orifice* in 2.4L breather tube

Old August 20th 12, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
greybuck

Default Mystery *orifice* in 2.4L breather tube

A few weeks ago, I posted my experience trying to locate a valve cover-to-air box tube for a 1st generation cloud car with a 2.4.

I was persistent, and a more experienced parts person at the dealer was able to finally identify the tube, and come up with a part#, to order a replacement. The original tube, as an *orifice* looking thing that sits sideways in the tube, just before the 90 degree bend. The new tube has no such thing.. I salvaged the orifice, but did not install it in the new one.

Does anyone know what this i supposed to do, and if I should try to install it in the new one? I have checked a couple of cars at the salvage yard when I was there last, and they has this item too.

It nice back in the days when Chrysler Techs frequented this news group. They usually had the answers.

Thanks,

KM
Old August 20th 12, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:46:30 -0700 (PDT), greybuck >
wrote:

>A few weeks ago, I posted my experience trying to locate a valve cover-to-air box tube for a 1st generation cloud car with a 2.4.
>
>I was persistent, and a more experienced parts person at the dealer was able to finally identify the tube, and come up with a part#, to order a replacement. The original tube, as an *orifice* looking thing that sits sideways in the tube, just before the 90 degree bend. The new tube has no such thing. I salvaged the orifice, but did not install it in the new one.
>
>Does anyone know what this i supposed to do, and if I should try to install it in the new one? I have checked a couple of cars at the salvage yard when I was there last, and they has this item too.
>
>It nice back in the days when Chrysler Techs frequented this news group. They usually had the answers.
>
>Thanks,
>
>KM

Even though I'm not even sure what you are talking about I will
exercise my USENET prerogative and offer an opinion anyways....
Usually orifices are used to restrict flow so perhaps there was a need
to limit the amount of air that could flow thru that tube at high
throttle openings so that a bunch of oil cloud didn't get sucked into
the intake when the engine was operating at high rpm.