Removing a CAT from '96 Cabrio (continued from '96 Cabrio won't start)

Old July 5th 05, 07:09 PM
Nevermind

Default Removing a CAT from '96 Cabrio (continued from '96 Cabrio won't start)

I hacked the catalyitc converter off with a sawzall
after iI discovered that it was glowing cherry red.The bolts to the
front flange of the cat are rusted solid.It looks like that I'll be
able to remove what is left of the cat if I grind the heads off of the
bolts that secure both sides of the flange.My question is : are both
sides of the flange threaded,or just the cat flange?
If I can't get this assembly apart,I'm faced with the prospect of
replacing the fron exhaust pipe..

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

TIA!!!!!!!
Old July 5th 05, 09:27 PM
Joseph Meehan

Nevermind wrote:
> I hacked the catalyitc converter off with a sawzall
> after iI discovered that it was glowing cherry red.

So why did you want to remove it? Glowing read means it was working
eating up a lot of hydrocarbons.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old July 5th 05, 10:49 PM
Woodchuck

Just nuts and bolts. No thread in the flanges.

Old July 6th 05, 07:35 AM
Nevermind

This thing is so rusted I actually couldn't tell.All that I see are
little nubs that look like screws instead of the usual 1/4" (or so)
nuts,and bolts.
I'm hoping that there will be enough of the flange left on the front
exhaust pipe to install the new cat.
I also cannot get the old O2 sensor off of the old CAT even though it
is out of the car. (might be just as well)
The new cat is an aftermarket job.it looks to be about 1/2 the size of
the original......(?????)

In article >, Woodchuck